Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Grencola

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Grencola »

MastaG wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:48 am
Thank you for explaining.
So if I understand correctly DV outside of a bluray container can currently only be muxed into a mpeg4 container.
So either store both layers using dolby's mp4muxer or create a single video layer using DVDFab.
no prob. that's correct, yeah.
MastaG wrote:
What's currently the benefit or lets say usecase for buying DVDFab and creating a single layer DV video if it can only be stored inside a mpeg4 container?
many devices don't support dual layer DV profile 7 like ATV 4K, Fire TV 4K, Android boxes, etc. also mkv only recognizes elementary video tracks so if and when we get software to either convert dv mp4s, or rip discs directly, to single layer mkv remuxes it will allow for dv with hd-audio. until then it's basically just for added compatibility.
MastaG wrote:
Also is there any (commercial) software which can extract the truehd track (including the atmos metadata) and mux it into the existing mpeg4 container?
So we can have DV + truehd(atmos) inside a single mpeg4 container. (instead of converting to lpcm 7.1).
there is plenty of software that can extract true-hd and atmos tracks. the problem is the limitation in the mp4 container, as it supports eac3 audio at best. yusesope can manipulate them further to push lpcm 7.1 (and dts-hd perhaps?), but atmos seems like a no go.
MastaG

Post by MastaG »

Ah thanks again grencola for summing everything up.
So I guess for now we can use DVDFab to merge both DV video layers together into a mp4 container, then use mp4box to add the lpcm audio converted from truehd which is basically still lossless but without the atmos metadata.

Now I only need to get myself a player which can output DV and lpcm 7.1 over hdmi so I can actually enjoy it including the lossless audio.
Or wait for the C9 to drop its price some more and use e-arc.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

MastaG wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:05 pm
So I guess for now we can use DVDFab to merge both DV video layers together into a mp4 container, then use mp4box to add the lpcm audio converted from truehd which is basically still lossless but without the atmos metadata.

Now I only need to get myself a player which can output DV and lpcm 7.1 over hdmi so I can actually enjoy it including the lossless audio.
The sony X700 works just fine and it's cinavia free via USB. That's what I'm using.

Grencola

Post by Grencola »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:54 pm
MastaG wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:05 pm

The sony X700 works just fine and it's cinavia free via USB. That's what I'm using.

or, if you have an AVR that does dolby vision, an ATV 4K running mrmc beta or an Amazon Fire TV 4K Stick running emby beta will also work.

EDIT: an avr AND a paid dvdfab license lol. x700 does dual layer dv mp4 whereas other devices need single layer. so price is sort of a wash if you were thinking of going the fire tv stick way to save money.
MastaG

Post by MastaG »

Well yeah but I'm doing it for the audio only.

I have a lg c8 oled and a denon x3300w avr.
The denon avr supports atmos audio and it can do DV passthrough to my tv.

I'm currently playing my dv+lpcm muxed movies with xplay (plex) so I only get ac3 to my avr using arc.

So using a player (sony x700 or firestick) I'd get the lossless audio, but I wonder how much difference it would make.
E.g. if I'm really able to experience better audio quality.

Also the player must support plex or emby since I'm not going to mess with usb sticks or network mountpoints.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

Grencola wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:44 pm
yusesope can manipulate them further to push lpcm 7.1 (and dts-hd perhaps?), but atmos seems like a no go.
Sad but true. The problem is represented by the mp4 container: until its specs are reviewed or until Dolby reveals the algorithm needed for muxing BL, EL, RPU, it will be difficult to play a DV track together with an TrueHD/ATMOS one.

In the meantime, I'm building my own transmission protocol: after TCP/IP there will be DVA/PP (Dolby Vision and ATMOS for Poor People). :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is already the logo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !

My PC (like everyone else's PC) can easily send a TrueHD/ATMOS signal to my AVR.
If only there was a way to let my TV communicate with my PC!

So I got the idea of ​​using the TV headphone output to control my PC.
In fact, I created a synchronization wave (an audio track) that can be muxed using mp4muxer or mp4box and which acts as a sort of metronome.
The PC is thus able to understand at what point the TV player has arrived and to synchronize the TrueHD/ATMOS track (to be sent to the AVR)

All this in theory!
Right now I'm experimenting with the PC: using "Stereo Mix" (more information HERE) I can simulate an input device. In this situation (without noise on the transmission line and without appreciable latency) my program, in the worst case, is out of sync of about 30ms (0.030sec). I think it's an encouraging result. Let's see how it will behave when I use a real cable (right now I have neither a 4K DV TV nor an AVR available).

If anyone is interested and wants to know more or wants to test or wants to help me improve the code (written in Python), let me know!
mrhollywood

Post by mrhollywood »

yusesope wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:20 pm
Grencola wrote:
yusesope can manipulate them further to push lpcm 7.1 (and dts-hd perhaps?), but atmos seems like a no go.
Sad but true. The problem is represented by the mp4 container: until its specs are reviewed or until Dolby reveals the algorithm needed for muxing BL, EL, RPU, it will be difficult to play a DV track together with an TrueHD/ATMOS one.

In the meantime, I'm building my own transmission protocol: after TCP/IP there will be DVA/PP (Dolby Vision and ATMOS for Poor People). :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My PC (like everyone else's PC) can easily send a TrueHD/ATMOS signal to my AVR.

In fact, I created a synchronization wave (an audio track) that can be muxed using mp4muxer or mp4box and which acts as a sort of metronome.
The PC is thus able to understand at what point the TV player has arrived and to synchronize the TrueHD/ATMOS track (to be sent to the AVR)

All this in theory!
Right now I'm experimenting with the PC: using "Stereo Mix" (more information HERE) I can simulate an input device. In this situation (without noise on the transmission line and without appreciable latency) my program, in the worst case, is out of sync of about 30ms (0.030sec). I think it's an encouraging result. Let's see how it will behave when I use a real cable (right now I have neither a 4K DV TV nor an AVR available).

If anyone is interested and wants to know more or wants to test or wants to help me improve the code (written in Python), let me know!
This would be pretty neat if it worked out.
MastaG

Post by MastaG »

I reported the issue where plex for lg webos transcodes the hd-audio stream on their forums.
https://forums.plex.tv/t/please-dont-in ... dio/445944

I hope they'll fix it.
mrhollywood

Post by mrhollywood »

MastaG wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:29 pm
I reported the issue where plex for lg webos transcodes the hd-audio stream on their forums.

I hope they'll fix it.
No LG TVs support TrueHD, and it seems like the TV itself downsamples DTS-HD to DTS
MastaG

Post by MastaG »

mrhollywood wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:50 pm
MastaG wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:29 pm

I hope they'll fix it.
No LG TVs support TrueHD, and it seems like the TV itself downsamples DTS-HD to DTS
Yes thats why the LG plex app shouldn't tell the plex server to start transcoding the audio.
Because when transcoding the audio the DV metadata gets lost and it plays only the hdr10 base layer.
redscott

Post by redscott »

Spent the last week or so making my way through the thread trying various things, and wanted to report another victory.

I have an LG C8, a Yamaha RX-V685, and a 5.1 Surround set up.

Using MakeMKV to do disk backup, ffmpeg to do demuxing, and mp4muxer to add ac3 or eac3 audio, I can play Dolby Vision UHD files from my plex server to my WebOS Plex client in the C8.

And it works in an Apple only environment! Where a lot of these programs (BDInfo, DVDFab) don't work great.

The Plex client in the Apple TV 4K reverts to HDR10, still need to figure out what's going on there.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

redscott wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:28 am
Spent the last week or so making my way through the thread trying various things, and wanted to report another victory.

Using MakeMKV to do disk backup, ffmpeg to do demuxing, and mp4muxer to add ac3 or eac3 audio, I can play Dolby Vision UHD files from my plex server to my WebOS Plex client in the C8.

And it works in an Apple only environment! Where a lot of these programs (BDInfo, DVDFab) don't work great.

The Plex client in the Apple TV 4K reverts to HDR10, still need to figure out what's going on there.
hdr10 isn't really 'getting it working' ;) your TV simply supports DV Profile 7, whereas the ATV 4K does not; it only supports single layer dvhe.05.06. so to get DV working with your rips you need to use dvdfab to make it one layer, then play it in the latest MrMC beta.
redscott

Post by redscott »

Grencola wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:34 pm
redscott wrote:

hdr10 isn't really 'getting it working' ;) your TV simply supports DV Profile 7, whereas the ATV 4K does not; it only supports single layer dvhe.05.06. so to get DV working with your rips you need to use dvdfab to make it one layer, then play it in the latest MrMC beta.
I wasn't implying hdr10 was "working". As I said:
redscott wrote:
I can play Dolby Vision UHD files from my plex server to my WebOS Plex client in the C8
It works as is when played through the WebOS Plex client in my LG C8. The Dolby vision logo shows up and it direct plays the file and the eac3 audio.

Apple TV 4k does *not* work, resorting to HDR10, which obviously MakeMKV can do on its own fine. Frankly none of the windows-centric programs (BDInfo, DVDFab) have worked reliably for me on Mac, so I'll play through WebOS for the time being until there's a way to do this through MakeMKV, ffmpeg, mp4box or similar.
likeadoc

Post by likeadoc »

Hey yusesope
my ffmpeg bug (https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/8051) regarding implementation of a truehd substream just got closed with this commit http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a ... 7f4973d619 - TRUE HD ist now a supported format in the mp4 container!
yusesope wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:20 pm
Grencola wrote:

All this in theory!

Grencola

Post by Grencola »

redscott wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:07 pm
Grencola wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:34 pm
redscott wrote:

I wasn't implying hdr10 was "working". As I said:
redscott wrote:
I can play Dolby Vision UHD files from my plex server to my WebOS Plex client in the C8
It works as is when played through the WebOS Plex client in my LG C8. The Dolby vision logo shows up and it direct plays the file and the eac3 audio.

Apple TV 4k does *not* work, resorting to HDR10, which obviously MakeMKV can do on its own fine. Frankly none of the windows-centric programs (BDInfo, DVDFab) have worked reliably for me on Mac, so I'll play through WebOS for the time being until there's a way to do this through MakeMKV, ffmpeg, mp4box or similar.
heh, that's exactly why I bolded your words 'it works on Apple' in 'hdr10'. so I said 'working in hdr10 doesn't mean it's working ;)' then you say 'no no it does not work on Apple TV, I was implying it worked on webos plex.' but you never said that :roll: anyway no matter lol don't worry it. it's in DV on your TV plex but not on ATV 4K, just like everyone else with an oled. got it :) if you try like I wrote above with MrMC, it will then work on both for you. that's all.