Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Peter Quill
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:43 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Peter Quill » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:34 pm

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:00 pm
glc650 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:31 pm
There's an mkvtoolnix update (49).

From the release notes:

mkvmerge: added support for copying the new track header elements BlockAddIDName, BlockAddIDType, BlockAddIDValue and BlockAddIDExtraData from Matroska files if they exist. Part of the implementation of #2887.
mkvinfo: added support for the new track header elements BlockAdditionMapping, BlockAddIDName, BlockAddIDType, BlockAddIDValueandBlockAddIDExtraData`. Part of the implementation of #2887.

https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/issues/2887

Does this mean mkvtoolnix now supports DV MKVs?
yes but only the mkv created by makemkv.

https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=841
Hi.
On this subject, if I use ffmpeg to copy, will it work in the same way as MKVToolNix? Or does ffmpeg still need new updates for this to work?
I use a recent BETA / Nightly version.
I'm new to this subject, so I don't have a lot of knowledge.
Thanks.

shawnc22
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by shawnc22 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:46 pm

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... n/2791567/

bit of an update for those following. good news that it's gone up the chain all the way to dolby (although they may not be entirely happy we've been creating these frankenstein files off of uhd discs :lol: ), so hopefully a resolution is in sight

RESET_9999
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:12 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:58 pm

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:46 pm
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... n/2791567/

bit of an update for those following. good news that it's gone up the chain all the way to dolby (although they may not be entirely happy we've been creating these frankenstein files off of uhd discs :lol: ), so hopefully a resolution is in sight
why the hell would they make that test with a uhd-bd rip? They need to test genuine profile 5 full-range content (Netflix, disney+, vudu etc) since no one knows if the Shield can play uhd-bd DV rip properly in the first place.

omg, they took pictures as we do, but not even in a dark room, pictures not even taken at the same distance... Thought they would use a color meter or something more professional.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... n/2791563/

eventhough the distance difference and the bright room, I still can see the same red push on the red flower in their pictures:
https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/5129

Peter Quill wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:34 pm

On this subject, if I use ffmpeg to copy, will it work in the same way as MKVToolNix? Or does ffmpeg still need new updates for this to work?
I use a recent BETA / Nightly version.
I'm new to this subject, so I don't have a lot of knowledge.
Thanks.
I don't know.
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please forgive my weak English.
Sony x700 ----> Denon AVR ----> LG OLED C8

mike admin
Posts: 3843
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:26 am
Contact:

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by mike admin » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:21 pm

Peter Quill wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:34 pm
On this subject, if I use ffmpeg to copy, will it work in the same way as MKVToolNix? Or does ffmpeg still need new updates for this to work?
Latest MKVToolnix only preserves DV descriptors, so you have to have a "good" MKV file to begin with.
Both mkvmerge and ffmpeg (all versions really) preserve bitstream data.
Ffmpeg and all previous versions of mkvmerge destroy DV metadata.
Next version of MakeMKV would be able to open an MKV file with totally bogus or missing DV metadata and fully rebuild a proper DV metadata. I feel sort of proud of it, as no other tool can do that, not even mp4mux :)
This effectively makes it possible to edit and convert any file to a proper DV MKV - copy/convert mp4 or ts to MKV with ffmpeg or mkvmerge, edit as you wish, then open with MakeMKV and it would rebuild all descriptors and make a nice clean DV MKV. That's how the test samples at https://www.makemkv.com/download/dvtest/ were made. PM if you want it for testing...

shawnc22
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by shawnc22 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:02 pm

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:58 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:46 pm
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... n/2791567/

bit of an update for those following. good news that it's gone up the chain all the way to dolby (although they may not be entirely happy we've been creating these frankenstein files off of uhd discs :lol: ), so hopefully a resolution is in sight
why the hell would they make that test with a uhd-bd rip? They need to test genuine profile 5 full-range content (Netflix, disney+, vudu etc) since no one knows if the Shield can play uhd-bd DV rip properly in the first place.

omg, they took pictures as we do, but not even in a dark room, pictures not even taken at the same distance... Thought they would use a color meter or something more professional.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... n/2791563/

eventhough the distance difference and the bright room, I still can see the same red push on the red flower in their pictures:
https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/5129
I'm sure they've tested profile 5 videos as well, but the doctor sleep sample was just the most prominent one that showed off the issue. It's also the one that was more readily available since I chopped up a sample of it. By using it and actually trying to correct behavior off of it, it's a good sign that it's meant to be supported, no? Otherwise, they could've simply just said it's not a supported file and no further action is needed. They may ultimately come back and say that these files are beyond the capabilities of the Shield, but at least they're trying to get to the bottom of it. As for the colorimeter and such, they're still out of the office at the moment so testing equipment and environment is understandably limited.

SamuriHL
Posts: 1616
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by SamuriHL » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:13 pm

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:46 pm
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... n/2791567/

bit of an update for those following. good news that it's gone up the chain all the way to dolby (although they may not be entirely happy we've been creating these frankenstein files off of uhd discs :lol: ), so hopefully a resolution is in sight
Ohhhhhhh FFS. Well, it's been fun while it lasted. Getting Dolby involved was the WORST possible outcome as they will order them to kill any "support" for it or lose their Dolby certification. F*************.

RESET_9999
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:12 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:14 pm

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:02 pm

I'm sure they've tested profile 5 videos as well, but the doctor sleep sample was just the most prominent one that showed off the issue. It's also the one that was more readily available since I chopped up a sample of it. By using it and actually trying to correct behavior off of it, it's a good sign that it's meant to be supported, no? Otherwise, they could've simply just said it's not a supported file and no further action is needed. They may ultimately come back and say that these files are beyond the capabilities of the Shield, but at least they're trying to get to the bottom of it. As for the colorimeter and such, they're still out of the office at the moment so testing equipment and environment is understandably limited.
I really hope the did try profile 5 content. A bit disappointed by their response.
Anyway, I really hope they figure it out so I can finally enjoy my 6-month-old Shield with only 24h of use lol.
SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:13 pm


Ohhhhhhh FFS. Well, it's been fun while it lasted. Getting Dolby involved was the WORST possible outcome as they will order them to kill any "support" for it or lose their Dolby certification. F*************.
haha! that would be awful.
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please forgive my weak English.
Sony x700 ----> Denon AVR ----> LG OLED C8

SamuriHL
Posts: 1616
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by SamuriHL » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:15 pm

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:02 pm

I'm sure they've tested profile 5 videos as well, but the doctor sleep sample was just the most prominent one that showed off the issue. It's also the one that was more readily available since I chopped up a sample of it. By using it and actually trying to correct behavior off of it, it's a good sign that it's meant to be supported, no? Otherwise, they could've simply just said it's not a supported file and no further action is needed. They may ultimately come back and say that these files are beyond the capabilities of the Shield, but at least they're trying to get to the bottom of it. As for the colorimeter and such, they're still out of the office at the moment so testing equipment and environment is understandably limited.
Yes, nVidia is and I commend them for it. But bringing this directly to Dolby was NOT wise. They are going to get slapped hard.

shawnc22
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by shawnc22 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:36 pm

caveat is Dolby did put out the instructions themselves to convert dual PID to single PID so somebody was bound to try it :lol:, but excuse me while I go disable auto-update on my Shield...

SamuriHL
Posts: 1616
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by SamuriHL » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:58 am

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:36 pm
caveat is Dolby did put out the instructions themselves to convert dual PID to single PID so somebody was bound to try it :lol:, but excuse me while I go disable auto-update on my Shield...
You're not wrong but I think they figured "screw everyone, there's no devices that'll play them anyway so let's tease them." Now it's going to be "oh shit! STOP THAT!" :D I really hope I'm wrong. Dolby honestly needs a bit more support anyway because HDR10+ is a fairly strong standard. And nVidia is obviously paying them their mafia payout, er, I mean licensing fees. :D So we'll see. But yes, disabling auto-update may be a joke, but, maybe we let other people experiment with that going forward. COUGH COUGH :D

shawnc22
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by shawnc22 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:49 am

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:58 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:36 pm
caveat is Dolby did put out the instructions themselves to convert dual PID to single PID so somebody was bound to try it :lol:, but excuse me while I go disable auto-update on my Shield...
You're not wrong but I think they figured "screw everyone, there's no devices that'll play them anyway so let's tease them." Now it's going to be "oh shit! STOP THAT!" :D I really hope I'm wrong. Dolby honestly needs a bit more support anyway because HDR10+ is a fairly strong standard. And nVidia is obviously paying them their mafia payout, er, I mean licensing fees. :D So we'll see. But yes, disabling auto-update may be a joke, but, maybe we let other people experiment with that going forward. COUGH COUGH :D
There's also Dolby's own mp4muxer that does something similar and creates files that, for some reason, are playable on LG TVs. So I'm optimistic here that nvidia will, at worst, keep things as is and not roll back any features.

SamuriHL
Posts: 1616
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by SamuriHL » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:00 am

That would be good. Better still if they could fix it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk


DaMacFunkin
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by DaMacFunkin » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:46 am

All I know is that Dolby hates MKV, if you have an Oppo, Dolby’s HDR10 tone mapping will not work on MKV files, the Oppo documentation actually states ‘Dolby sees MKV as piracy’.
🤦‍♂️

MastaG
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:40 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by MastaG » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:03 am

New firmware for 2018 LG OLED models released today.
Version 05.20.0x and it seems to update the Dolby Vision version.
Didn't do any testing yet. But I'm curious whether it could fix some of the performance problems with FEL remuxes.

SamuriHL
Posts: 1616
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by SamuriHL » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:48 am

I wonder if they finally fixed the near black issues when calibrating Dolby vision. Interesting.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk


Post Reply