Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
tango306

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by tango306 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:24 am

Grencola wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:46 am
I was sticking up for the mp4s a bit cuz you said, "And if somehow 12-bit is degraded into 10-bit in muxing process, who know what else is borked in the chain." but nothing seems to be degraded in the chain was all.
Well then, *if* what Oppo-203 is reporting is true, what makes DV's native 12-bit into 10-bit in the process? After all, optimal muxing is about not touching quality but retaining pristine original bit for bit data.

*If* Oppo-203's reporting is false, then any other way to verify integrity of DV's native quality ?
Grencola wrote:
perhaps I got a bit defensive, and misinterpreted your words, sorry :p I can't verify it myself as I don't own an Oppo,
No need for an apology. However, your misunderstanding goes a few posts above before I mentioned anything about MP4 being borked. It started with your panel nonsense.
Grencola wrote:
but I have read on avsforum of people saying the same thing with 12-bit content showing up as 10-bit, while others replying not to worry as there's no difference, citing links to various tests etc. (basically where I got my influences from heh). Anyway regardless of all that, I've only tried with Vizio's p65 and m65 (usb) and LG's C8 (plex) displays so I'm definitely not the best person to be determining what's really going on. I'll try and find the forum link so you can talk to people with more experience.
I've been with AVS Forum since 2002. I can't seem to find threads/posts related to this DV MP4 mux. Can you provide a link?
That being said, people claiming no differences between native 12-bit DV disc and degraded(?) 10-bit (if true) MP4 files are irrelevant. After all, there are many, many, many people who cannot tell the difference between 128kbps mp3s and redbook CDs.

I think important points to consider are:
1. To investigate and find out *if* DV is really degraded from its native 12-bit into 10-bit during the muxing process.
2. The root cause of color depth change in the muxing process.
Some food for thoughts. :)

sm0ke83

Post by sm0ke83 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:00 am

Grencola,

I tried your dv-mp4-maker on local mkv. Result is the same, stutters continuously... Didn't expect a different output, but did test it to be sure.
Any idea what might be causing this? FYI: Haven't been able to make a working mp4 from mkv, not even one.

greetz

sm0ke83

Post by sm0ke83 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:16 am

tango306 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:24 am
Grencola wrote:
I was sticking up for the mp4s a bit cuz you said, "And if somehow 12-bit is degraded into 10-bit in muxing process, who know what else is borked in the chain." but nothing seems to be degraded in the chain was all.
Well then, *if* what Oppo-203 is reporting is true, what makes DV's native 12-bit into 10-bit in the process? After all, optimal muxing is about not touching quality but retaining pristine original bit for bit data.

*If* Oppo-203's reporting is false, then any other way to verify integrity of DV's native quality ?
Grencola wrote:
perhaps I got a bit defensive, and misinterpreted your words, sorry :p I can't verify it myself as I don't own an Oppo,
No need for an apology. However, your misunderstanding goes a few posts above before I mentioned anything about MP4 being borked. It started with your panel nonsense.
Grencola wrote:
but I have read on avsforum of people saying the same thing with 12-bit content showing up as 10-bit, while others replying not to worry as there's no difference, citing links to various tests etc. (basically where I got my influences from heh). Anyway regardless of all that, I've only tried with Vizio's p65 and m65 (usb) and LG's C8 (plex) displays so I'm definitely not the best person to be determining what's really going on. I'll try and find the forum link so you can talk to people with more experience.
I've been with AVS Forum since 2002. I can't seem to find threads/posts related to this DV MP4 mux. Can you provide a link?
That being said, people claiming no differences between native 12-bit DV disc and degraded(?) 10-bit (if true) MP4 files are irrelevant. After all, there are many, many, many people who cannot tell the difference between 128kbps mp3s and redbook CDs.

I think important points to consider are:
1. To investigate and find out *if* DV is really degraded from its native 12-bit into 10-bit during the muxing process.
2. The root cause of color depth change in the muxing process.
Some food for thoughts. :)
Hi tango306,

Read your discussion with Grencola...
I'm having trouble creating good mp4 from mkv. Been reading on this forum for that and it's hard ignore the discussion :P
...I was wondering why u think original UHD Dolby Vision Blu-ray discs are 12-bit? Or did I misunderstood?
A few months ago (when DV profiles was being discussed) I found this pdf from Dolby Laboratories, maybe u find this interesting:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologie ... levels.pdf

Nowhere in this file is 12-bit mentioned... Look at table 1 at page 9, only 10-bit HEVC is being used in DV profiles.

fib1985

Post by fib1985 » Fri May 24, 2019 4:19 pm

sm0ke83 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:00 am
Grencola,

I tried your dv-mp4-maker on local mkv. Result is the same, stutters continuously... Didn't expect a different output, but did test it to be sure.
Any idea what might be causing this? FYI: Haven't been able to make a working mp4 from mkv, not even one.

greetz
I Got the same results as you, i guess the app have some problems. With the powershell script it works like a charm.

Grencola

Post by Grencola » Fri May 24, 2019 6:14 pm

sm0ke83 wrote:
Grencola,

greetz
That's definitely strange. You've tried both tsmuxer and eac3to and both result in an unplayable file but yet m2ts is fine? I'm really not sure how to help :( I just watched Ready Player One in its entirety and it worked perfectly. It was made with my app (so eac3to) from mkv. In fact I've made over 30 mp4's from mkv with only like 5 or so from m2ts and I don't get this stutter bug :( I know we have different TV's, but you'd think there would waay more people complaining on here, instead of praising mp4muxer if it just didn't work. You could maybe try demuxing each track individually before you run mp4muxer.

Grencola

Post by Grencola » Fri May 24, 2019 6:19 pm

fib1985 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:19 pm
sm0ke83 wrote:
Grencola,

greetz
I Got the same results as you, i guess the app have some problems. With the powershell script it works like a charm.
My 'app' is literally just a command prompt script to run eac3to on the file, then mp4muxer. that's basically it. I chose to use eac3to as so many people, myself included, were getting framerate errors in TSMuxer during the demux where as eac3to actually tries correcting them. like I said above I've used my app on 30+ titles which are great. The only bug I've ever seen is when I copied those exact movies onto a friend's seagate hdd from my western digital and it came up saying the file format was not supported when playing certain files. still don't have a fix for that. but the ones that did play had no stuttering at all.

sm0ke83

Post by sm0ke83 » Sat May 25, 2019 8:53 am

Grencola wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:14 pm
sm0ke83 wrote:
Grencola,

greetz
That's definitely strange. You've tried both tsmuxer and eac3to and both result in an unplayable file but yet m2ts is fine? I'm really not sure how to help :( I just watched Ready Player One in its entirety and it worked perfectly. It was made with my app (so eac3to) from mkv. In fact I've made over 30 mp4's from mkv with only like 5 or so from m2ts and I don't get this stutter bug :( I know we have different TV's, but you'd think there would waay more people complaining on here, instead of praising mp4muxer if it just didn't work. You could maybe try demuxing each track individually before you run mp4muxer.
I only used eac3to, will give it a try with tsmuxer and try to demux each track individually with eac3to. My TV is LG 55SK8500PLA.
And indeed I would say a lot more people are using mkv as source and more people would have this issue... This is part of why I'm kind of determent to solve this. I would like to know if output is the same (hash check) when we would both use exact same source. Also is it possible for you to cut a sample of 2 minutes from your working mp4 (which had mkv as source) and upload so I could test?
And is there another forum where this mp4 muxing is being discussed? The more input the better I guess.
Thnx

sm0ke83

Post by sm0ke83 » Sat May 25, 2019 9:00 am

Grencola wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:19 pm
fib1985 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:19 pm
sm0ke83 wrote:
Grencola,

greetz
My 'app' is literally just a command prompt script to run eac3to on the file, then mp4muxer. that's basically it. I chose to use eac3to as so many people, myself included, were getting framerate errors in TSMuxer during the demux where as eac3to actually tries correcting them. like I said above I've used my app on 30+ titles which are great. The only bug I've ever seen is when I copied those exact movies onto a friend's seagate hdd from my western digital and it came up saying the file format was not supported when playing certain files. still don't have a fix for that. but the ones that did play had no stuttering at all.
Have to agree with Grencola here...
But I am curious though, what u mean with "the powershell script"? Maybe i'm missing something (really hope so to be honest :P ).
Or can u describe in detail how u make the mp4 and where u get the needed files from?
Thnx

Regarding to the WD/Seagate hdd issue. Did the drive both have the same filesystem? Or maybe try with dlna instead of direct usb connect? Only thing that comes to mind...

fib1985

Post by fib1985 » Sat May 25, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi folks,
I dont say that the app it's a crap :) , just it does not work properly on my system. It's a way longer than use tsmuxer and normal command line and plus the results is heavy stutter.

this the app i donwloaded: https://bit.ly/30amToV

When i say "the powershell script" i mean the script that you can find in page 6, in fact it's just the command line method, but this work very well everytime (with mkv and also with m2ts both extracted with tsmuxer).

sm0ke83

Post by sm0ke83 » Sat May 25, 2019 6:52 pm

fib1985 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 6:06 pm
Hi folks,
I dont say that the app it's a crap :) , just it does not work properly on my system. It's a way longer than use tsmuxer and normal command line and plus the results is heavy stutter.

When i say "the powershell script" i mean the script that you can find in page 6, in fact it's just the command line method, but this work very well everytime (with mkv and also with m2ts both extracted with tsmuxer).
All right, just downloaded the files from your url... It seems that the only difference is the audio track being demuxed (correct me if I'm wrong) from mkv source and the following (appropriate) command line options:
-core -640 (when using Gencola's "mainline script") v.s. "non -core -option"
-eac3to being used 2 times v.s. eac3to being used 1 time
-audio.ac3 being used for mp4muxer_64bits (don't know which is being used in case of eac3to being used twice)

Didn't have time to test these differences, but...
-tsMuxeR.exe doesn't seen to be used and isn't included in the file referred to
-maybe the problem/solution is in the fact eac3to being used without parameters (only source file) OR eac3to without the -core -640 parameter (that being said, probably the spanisch track is DD2.0 so that's something to be considered)

Hope to see comments / corrections / findings... I'll try tomorrow or the day after, keep u guys posted!

fib1985

Post by fib1985 » Sat May 25, 2019 6:57 pm

For me i use to extract with tsmuxer all the time and then, if needed, convert the audio track with xmedia recode into AC3 format. And for the last step, i just launch the command line mp4muxer (with ps1 script) and the result it's always a working mp4 file.

sm0ke83

Post by sm0ke83 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:04 pm

cyperous wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:05 pm
Found some more interesting info that might help.

I did find out that seeking is working but it is very cpu intensive and on my 6 core 12 thread machine, it maxes the cpus to 100% and takes over a minute for the seek to happen. The TV is probably giving up after a short period and just starts over from the beginning.

I tried doing some research around 10bit 265 and mp4's and it turns out that mp4muxer does not write the file correctly that would build a resulted file that is seeable under a normal conditions.

For clarification here are the commands I ran to build comparison files, NOTE: these are all without dv files.

Code: Select all

mp4muxer -i video.265 -i audio.ac3 -o temp_mp4muxer.mp4

mp4box -add video.265 -add audio.ac3 -new temp_mp4box.mp4

ffmpeg -i video.265 -i audio.ac3 -c copy -map 0:0 -map 1:0 temp_ffmpeg.mp4
ffmpeg and mp4box produce a seekable file whereas mp4muxer does not.

I would also like to note that all three of these command produce different byte codes.
Overlooked this... need to look into this too also I think...

sm0ke83

Post by sm0ke83 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:06 pm

fib1985 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 6:57 pm
For me i use to extract with tsmuxer all the time and then, if needed, convert the audio track with xmedia recode into AC3 format. And for the last step, i just launch the command line mp4muxer (with ps1 script) and the result it's always a working mp4 file.
All rihgt, thnx. This i'll check first thing!

Grencola

Post by Grencola » Sat May 25, 2019 8:40 pm

sm0ke83 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 6:52 pm
fib1985 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 6:06 pm
Hi folks,

All right, just downloaded the files from your url... It seems that the only difference is the audio track being demuxed (correct me if I'm wrong) from mkv source and the following (appropriate) command line options:
-core -640 (when using Gencola's "mainline script") v.s. "non -core -option"
-eac3to being used 2 times v.s. eac3to being used 1 time
-audio.ac3 being used for mp4muxer_64bits (don't know which is being used in case of eac3to being used twice)

Didn't have time to test these differences, but...
-tsMuxeR.exe doesn't seen to be used and isn't included in the file referred to
-maybe the problem/solution is in the fact eac3to being used without parameters (only source file) OR eac3to without the -core -640 parameter (that being said, probably the spanisch track is DD2.0 so that's something to be considered)

Hope to see comments / corrections / findings... I'll try tomorrow or the day after, keep u guys posted!
I made him a custom version so he would have Spanish audio instead of English. Ya it does call on eac3to twice, but the first time is just to put the track info into a txt file without actually doing any procedure. It then searches that text file for the track number that has Spanish, and then actually runs eac3to this time with the corresponding audio track. none of that will affect the file in any way to create stutter. it must just be tsmuxer doing a better job than eac3to on certain mkv's. yet eac3to does a better job on a lot of other movies especially m2ts files that error in tsmuxer unless each track is demuxed individually. I supoose I could make seperate apps, one for m2ts using eac3to like it does now, and for mkv that uses tsmuxer for the demux and then eac3to for the audio (Xmedia doesn't run from a script/cmd line). like I keep saying I've used eac3to for lots of mkv's and maybe I've just been lucky. tsmuxer's constant errors were such a pain in the butt it was pretty much dead to me.

Donpablo80

Post by Donpablo80 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:04 am

Is it possible to encode a Dolby Vision mp4 mux to a smaller file size? When i try to do with handbrake i lose the Dolby Vision layer.

And btw thanks for this great program! I'm using it a lot and works great!