Potter 8 movie collection. 2nd disc volume key unknown

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Phrehdd

Potter 8 movie collection. 2nd disc volume key unknown

Post by Phrehdd »

We picked up the 8 movie collection of Harry Potter (UHD/DVD/Digital) and 7 of the discs/movies decrypted fine. I did a full back up of the discs. However Disc 2 : Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets would not decrypt and gave the usual fair about volume key unknown.

I redirected the .makemkv file to a new path that was direct access (not hidden). Still no luck.

Anyone else have this issue?

In the meanwhile, I emailed the tgz file and copy of the fail to decrypt notice to the designated account. Having not done this before, what is the next step for myself and/or MakeMKV?
TerminatioN

Re: Potter 8 movie collection. 2nd disc volume key unknown

Post by TerminatioN »

Phrehdd wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:38 pm
We picked up the 8 movie collection of Harry Potter (UHD/DVD/Digital) and 7 of the discs/movies decrypted fine. I did a full back up of the discs. However Disc 2 : Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets would not decrypt and gave the usual fair about volume key unknown.

I redirected the .makemkv file to a new path that was direct access (not hidden). Still no luck.

Anyone else have this issue?

In the meanwhile, I emailed the tgz file and copy of the fail to decrypt notice to the designated account. Having not done this before, what is the next step for myself and/or MakeMKV?
Unfortunately you've done all you can do for now. You simply have to wait for Mike to update the hashed keys file and hope he's included yours (which he almost certainly will since you followed the proper procedure and emailed him the proper file). Once you've got the updated file in place it should rip no problem.
Phrehdd

Post by Phrehdd »

Thank you for giving me the information to know I followed through correctly. Rather curious that all but 1 would be successful but hey, in the disc world we have seen far far stranger.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Yeah I don't understand how the key file keeps breaking. Movies that have been in there forever suddenly disappear and reappear a few updates later. HP2 though has been gone for months IIRC. Weird.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
TerminatioN

Post by TerminatioN »

jonghotti wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:49 am
Yeah I don't understand how the key file keeps breaking. Movies that have been in there forever suddenly disappear and reappear a few updates later. HP2 though has been gone for months IIRC. Weird.
No, HP2 is still in there. See "HARRY_POTTER_CHAMBER_SECRETS" in the keys file.

The problem is (as you will see if you look in the file) there are many keys for different discs of the same movie. For HP2 there are currently 9 keys in the key file. So just because the key for my HP2 disc is in there doesn't mean your HP2 disc will have the same key and/or be in there. Thus why you have to send Mike your dump so he can add it.
Phrehdd

Post by Phrehdd »

TerminatioN wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:18 am
jonghotti wrote:

The problem is (as you will see if you look in the file) there are many keys for different discs of the same movie. For HP2 there are currently 9 keys in the key file. So just because the key for my HP2 disc is in there doesn't mean your HP2 disc will have the same key and/or be in there. Thus why you have to send Mike your dump so he can add it.
I somewhat figured there had to be multiple keys. As this is my first time around being stymied by this type of problem, and having turned in the data as instructed, how will we know when a remedy is made available (forum or email or..)?
TerminatioN

Post by TerminatioN »

Phrehdd wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:35 pm
TerminatioN wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:18 am
jonghotti wrote:

I somewhat figured there had to be multiple keys. As this is my first time around being stymied by this type of problem, and having turned in the data as instructed, how will we know when a remedy is made available (forum or email or..)?
Unfortunately you just have to keep an eye on the hashed keys post and manually watch for an update. I wish he would post new posts for each update so people could subscribe and get emailed when he did but alas that is not the case and there isn't really a way to get notifications on it that I have found. Hopefully it will be soon though since we are rapidly approaching 2 months without an update. It used to be much more frequent. Guess he got busy?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

TerminatioN wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:29 am
Unfortunately you just have to keep an eye on the hashed keys post and manually watch for an update. I wish he would post new posts for each update so people could subscribe and get emailed when he did but alas that is not the case and there isn't really a way to get notifications on it that I have found. Hopefully it will be soon though since we are rapidly approaching 2 months without an update. It used to be much more frequent. Guess he got busy?
You DO understand that manually downloading the key file has been unnecessary for several(+) releases now (as long as MakeMKV is allowed to 'contact server for updates')? No need to keep an eye on anything except MakeMKV status output. Email the dump when the key is not found & when Mike has added the key, the disc will decrypt.
TerminatioN

Post by TerminatioN »

d00zah wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:50 am
TerminatioN wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:29 am
You DO understand that manually downloading the key file has been unnecessary for several(+) releases now (as long as MakeMKV is allowed to 'contact server for updates')? No need to keep an eye on anything except MakeMKV status output. Email the dump when the key is not found & when Mike has added the key, the disc will decrypt.
Interesting. Was this announced somewhere? All the documentation I see still references having to download it manually. Wonder if/when that will all get updated. The only references I see to it are people talking about it in posts on this forum... kind of odd that it wouldn't be made known more widely/easily.

Anyways, still doesn't change the fact that the hash key update is silent so unless he puts the disc in and tries every day he won't know if it works or if the keys have been updated unless he manually checks the post for the last updated date to change.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

TerminatioN wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:37 am
Interesting. Was this announced somewhere? All the documentation I see still references having to download it manually. Wonder if/when that will all get updated. The only references I see to it are people talking about it in posts on this forum... kind of odd that it wouldn't be made known more widely/easily.
There has not been a specific announcement of the automatic hash key download, but, it has been mentioned on the forum. Those of us who "read everything" saw this message (amongst others) go by:
mike admin wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:14 pm
Starting with 1.12.3 MakeMKV automatically downloads hashed keys, if "allow contacting web server" is enabled in preferences.
(clicking on the little icon next to "mike admin" will take you to the original topic)

Many of us noticed the appearance of "Downloading latest SDF" when loading the first disk of a ripping session before Mike posted this, and were wondering. The SDF file contains more than just the hash information; it's also tied to LibreDrive.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging