Alien 40th Anniversary 4K - volume key unknown

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Woodstock

Re: Alien 40th Anniversary 4K - volume key unknown

Post by Woodstock »

Realistically, automatic submission would be easier for Mike, but...

Imagine some Antivirus company deciding that OUTBOUND transmissions of unknown data to a server located in a foreign country constitutes malware. It does happen, for just about everyone except Microsoft's "telemetry data". MakeMKV already get flagged from time to time for PULLING data from this server, for updates.

By having the user manually send the data, it complicates the procedure considerably, but is less prone to being treated as malware.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Woodstock wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:19 pm
Realistically, automatic submission would be easier for Mike, but...

Imagine some Antivirus company deciding that OUTBOUND transmissions of unknown data to a server located in a foreign country constitutes malware. It does happen, for just about everyone except Microsoft's "telemetry data". MakeMKV already get flagged from time to time for PULLING data from this server, for updates.

By having the user manually send the data, it complicates the procedure considerably, but is less prone to being treated as malware.
Perhaps a 'click here to submit dump data' option would be an acceptable compromise?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That is already presented as an option when a BD+ dump is generated (part of the INFO window), but I do not know how big a UHD dump file is, so I cannot say it would be simple to do.

The BD+ dump is encoded into a single URL. Realistically, that method limits you to sending "up to" a few K of data.

How big is a UHD dump?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Uncertain, but would imagine similar limitations apply to email attachments. Upon reflection, I would expect a file transfer to be less restrictive than via an email attachment
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

The one I sent for Alien was 3mb cause he tgz's them. The data seems pretty compressible.
demon

Post by demon »

nathanddrews wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:02 pm
Since I don't really understand the exact process for generating keys from the TGZ files, does Mike only need one submission to get the job done? Is the same exact file with the exact file name generated by every identical disc? Some sort of transactional database would have to be built and hosted somewhere to manage uploads from users and tell the application whether or not it was already submitted could probably be scripted into e-ticket type software.
Assuming there's only one pressing. Sometimes the studios will have different masters, and so for each individual master a separate key would need to be computed, as I understand it, until a player key can be recovered, which AFAIK hasn't happened yet.
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

This is the longest I've seen it take for a 4K disc to be able to be ripped. Bummer...
handcraftedbits

Post by handcraftedbits »

FWIW, my backup just decrypted, so check again.

And two days is about usual as far as I can tell. There was once it look nearly a week.
demon

Post by demon »

Confirmed, just threw it into my laptop and started a backup, and it pulled new HK and is proceeding.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yup, the protected ISO I made is also working fine. Sweet!
rdgrimes

Post by rdgrimes »

Is there something "odd" about this release? Is Fox throwing another curve ball?
What's this mean:
File "/dummy_r.dat" was skipped
File "/dummy_f.dat" was skipped
demon

Post by demon »

rdgrimes wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:27 am
Is there something "odd" about this release? Is Fox throwing another curve ball?
What's this mean:
File "/dummy_r.dat" was skipped
File "/dummy_f.dat" was skipped
I've seen "/dummy_f.dat" on other discs. The file isn't on the disc, so I assume it's in some hashtable. It's not been a problem for me previously, so I don't think it'll cause problems this time.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I've seen that, too. I'm not sure what it is.
Sonartech

Post by Sonartech »

Works great tonight, @Mike, so thanks very much for the rapid turnaround. Still, sorry this is such a manual process.

This restoration is pretty epic. This movie scared the beHEEsus out of me in 1979, and now it can do it again in this pristine 4k cleanup. I can't wait to see what it does to me and my wife when they restore it yet again for playback on our new 8K TV's (coming 'soon' to a home near you).
hedcase

Post by hedcase »

This is excellent!

Anyone figure out which title is which?