Black Hawk Down

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
~HaMMeR~

Re: Black Hawk Down

Post by ~HaMMeR~ »

Wardy wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:35 am
There is definitely something funky with this disc and Asus drives, I've had two copies of the UK disc that have failed to either read at all, thrown scsi errors or failed part way through a rip, using two identical Asus BW-16D1HT with firmware 3.01, I also tried 3.10MK to no avail, both with Makemkv and DVDfab.

I'm returning the disc to Amazon.
Did you ever get another disc? I've tried two UK discs now using the Asus BW-16D1HT and both fail with file corruptions. Discs look perfect and have been cleaned with a microfibre cloth. I've had issues in the past but a second copy has always sorted, but chances of two discs being damaged seems pretty remote ti me. Not sure whether to go to the hassle of asked for another replacement.
aerandir92

Post by aerandir92 »

Just got the disc an my BW-16D1HT is behaving really weirdly. I got it to open the playlists once, but then the motor on my drive got stuck at absolute max speed. Couldn't get it to copy. Now that I own the disc I have no qualms getting the "rip" through other means, so I'll just do that.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

aerandir92 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:12 pm
Just got the disc an my BW-16D1HT is behaving really weirdly. I got it to open the playlists once, but then the motor on my drive got stuck at absolute max speed. Couldn't get it to copy. Now that I own the disc I have no qualms getting the "rip" through other means, so I'll just do that.
Meet the dreaded 'sleep bug'. Happens if you leave a UHD disc idle in the drive > 2 mins (IIRC). Search forum for details. Requires a FW fix. Nothing new.
Merlyn6175

Post by Merlyn6175 »

I have a BW-16DHT fw3.01 which has never let me down until Black Hawk Down, always stopped at around 60%.
After I flashed it to 3.02 it worked without error.and has not let me down since, I find the drive can be a bit erratic when not in use but with a disc inserted, you can hear it seeking and retrying for no reason.best to eject it when finished
aerandir92

Post by aerandir92 »

d00zah wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:00 pm
Meet the dreaded 'sleep bug'. Happens if you leave a UHD disc idle in the drive > 2 mins (IIRC). Search forum for details. Requires a FW fix. Nothing new.
So that's what the sleep bug is. I've read about it some many times the past few years, but I've always just thought it's when I leave the disc in for too long after ripping is done and the tray takes an extreme amount of time before it opens after pressing the button.
turok

Post by turok »

I got a stupid question...
can I legally purchase a .mkv file of Black Hawk Down UHD somewhere?
I just tried ripping my second copy of BHD. I Dawn dishwashed it, micro wiped it, tried about 20 times to rip it. I am getting tired of this.
Delete this post if I asked the wrong question.
The Patriot, Fury and Forrest Gump is killing me to. And Saving Private Ryan.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Not really - the places you can get "digital copies" prefer using MP4, with all of its limitations, including the ability to add in digital rights management (copy protection).
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
niteflyr

Post by niteflyr »

turok wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:09 am
I got a stupid question...
can I legally purchase a .mkv file of Black Hawk Down UHD somewhere?
I just tried ripping my second copy of BHD. I Dawn dishwashed it, micro wiped it, tried about 20 times to rip it. I am getting tired of this.
Delete this post if I asked the wrong question.
The Patriot, Fury and Forrest Gump is killing me to. And Saving Private Ryan.
The Patriot, Fury and now Stand By Me are the 3 titles using the AACS 2.1 which MakeMKV does not read at this time.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... =15#p77710

As to the other disks you have problems with, here are 2 things to try.

1 Try making a full disk backup with "decrypt video files" unchecked. Then make the MKV's from the backup.

2. Get another drive. I had a few annoying disks that wouldn't rip properly and thought maybe the drive (LG) was failing. I purchased a different friendly UHD drive (ASUS) and was able to rip those disks. Both of the drives still work fine. If I come across a disk that one won't read, the other does. I have not found a disk that neither would read.
turok

Post by turok »

I got Forrest Gump and Saving Private Ryan to rip last night.
What I did was:
for Forrest Gump, all disc were brand new, I rubbed really hard with microcloth. It took longer to rip, 2 hrs? but... it worked
for Saving Private Ryan I did the same thing, rubbed hard with microcloth, but I had to do something, came back and it was stuck spinning, but it did advance to open stage. I had to reload. And... it would not recognize the disk. I wiped some more times, cleaned it with alcohol, rubbed it a few more tries and it took. It took four hours to rip? I don't really know, I went to sleep, but that what it said as the time to go.
Will try Black Hawk Down tonight.
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:50 am
Swaps wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:24 am
Disc decrypts fine, but there are 4 titles. Anyone know which one is correct? Thanks
Extended Version = 503.mpls
Theatrical Version = 501.mpls
Brilliant, thanks for that. This forum is awesome!
LGans316

Post by LGans316 »

Able to rip Black Hawk Down finally using MakeMKV 1.15.3 :mrgreen:
Trickyd-1

Post by Trickyd-1 »

turok wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:52 pm
I got Forrest Gump and Saving Private Ryan to rip last night.
What I did was:
for Forrest Gump, all disc were brand new, I rubbed really hard with microcloth. It took longer to rip, 2 hrs? but... it worked
for Saving Private Ryan I did the same thing, rubbed hard with microcloth, but I had to do something, came back and it was stuck spinning, but it did advance to open stage. I had to reload. And... it would not recognize the disk. I wiped some more times, cleaned it with alcohol, rubbed it a few more tries and it took. It took four hours to rip? I don't really know, I went to sleep, but that what it said as the time to go.
Will try Black Hawk Down tonight.
Even 99% alcohol seems to leave smears for me. Washing up liquid, warm water, a rub with a clean sponge and then a warm rinse works a treat every time.