John Wick/ 4K/ Error

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Pezzy

John Wick/ 4K/ Error

Post by Pezzy »

Hi all.

I'm having issues trying to make an .mkv file from the John Wick 4K Ultra HD disc.

I have the latest version of the software program, and, from the this page - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053 - I have the most recent beta key (which is supposed to be good through the end of May, 2019).

When I launch the MakeMKV program and click on the icon of the disc in the drive and it scans the disc trying to read it, it ends up failing to do so with this message:
"MakeMKV v1.14.3 win(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Using LibreDrive mode (v05 id=E064BA3E3F81)
Saved AACS dump file as C:/Users/[username]/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v61_John_Wick_E37B.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc"

I navigated to C:/Users/[username]/.MakeMKV, and I checked the keys_hashed text file; there are many listings in there for John Wick.

Any idea what's wrong? It's not like this is John Wick Part 2 ;) Part 3 in theaters soon....

I did a search on this site in the forums, and I saw other people had issues with this 4K movie, but I didn't see any definitive answers.....

Thanks for any help,
Pez
st4evr

Re: John Wick/ 4K/ Error

Post by st4evr »

1. READ the posts in this link:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... ile#p73280

As it contains information that applies to your situation as well.

2. If you follow the instructions in that discussion and still get the EXACT SAME error, do the same as discussed here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... %9D#p74323

3. There are plenty of discussions regarding this error:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/search.ph ... is+unknown
Pezzy

Post by Pezzy »

Hi st4evr; thanks for the reply.

I went to the 1st link you provided; even though that has to do with the 4K UHD of the movie "Bumblebee", I believe the pertinent part you wanted me to see had to do with the hash keys, correct?

They're automatically downloaded now with the MakeMKV program, correct?

I went into Preferences, and yes, there is a check in the box for "Allow contacting web server for updates".

I went to the 2nd link you provided (happens to be for the 4K of "Fifth Element"), and it mentions again about "Allow MakeMKV to contact server for updates", which mine is set to do.

But it also mentions here about sending in your dump file; is that what I should do next? Not post it here in the forum, but send it to svq@makemkv.com?

The 3rd link you gave has tons of results from the MakeMKV forum site; similar to my issue, I suppose.

So.....e-mail my dump file and wait for a response?
Pez
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

The answer is “yes” to all your questions.

Additionally, Mike will most likely not respond to your submittal directly. He is too busy for that. You’ll have to check periodically in the days after to see if/when support for your disc is added. Usually within a week or less.
Pezzy

Post by Pezzy »

Hi st4evr; thanks again for your reply.

OK, I e-mailed that dump file to svq@makemkv.com

It sounds like you've got some experience with this. From what you're saying, I take it that this guy Mike most likely will not be able to respond directly to my e-mail? But that instead, I should just try to convert that 4K disc (John Wick) to an .mkv file again in a week or so? That if support for this disc has been added.....then it should work?

Pez
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Mike is the owner/developer of the MakeMKV. And yes, he is the person/developer who adds support for disks/data submitted. Support can be added anywhere from 2-7 days depending on how busy he gets supporting/developing said application.

Just keep trying within that period until it decrypts. If it goes more than a week and nothing. Ensure your MakeMKV app is NOT being blocked by a firewall on your end first (e.g. Norton, Windows, ESET, or other software firewalls. Recommended to check on that now as well). Then post here in the forums again with relevant information to your issue if further advise/support is needed.
apguy

Post by apguy »

I sent the email yesterday and today John Wick is decrypting

Amazing support
Pezzy

Post by Pezzy »

Hi.

It's been a little while, but I'm back (regarding the John Wick 4K UHD disc).

Tried it again: still no luck. It's still saying "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted, Failed to open disc".

I checked my Windows firewall to make sure it was not being blocked (I didn't even see the MakeMKV program listed, so, I Added it to Allow it through just to be sure). I tried it again; still no-go.

I see someone else here joined the thread by the name of apguy; they said John Wick is decrypting.

In the meantime, I did another different disc; "Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut". No problem; I converted it into an .mkv file and watched it.

So.....what do you think is going on with my John Wick disc?
Pez
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Sounds like you have a version that's not been submitted yet. You should follow the instructions for submitting the dump file that's generated to svq (at) makemkv.com so that it can be supported.
Pezzy

Post by Pezzy »

Hi SamuriHL.

I was the one that started this particular thread. But I don't know if you noticed, but in the 4th reply to this thread, that's me, saying that yes, I did already submit & e-mailed my dump file for John Wick to svq [@] makemkv.com back around May 17th.

And then I just noticed the other day that in this thread, back on May 18th, apguy said he e-mailed and within a day John Wick was decrypting. Perhaps apguy & myself don't have the same exact John Wick 4K UHD disc.

The other person in this thread - st4evr - said for me to just keep trying until it decrypts; so, it's been roughly a little over a week. But perhaps they haven't gotten around to my disc (dump file) yet.
Pez
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Submit the dump to:

support@makemkv.com

AND

svq@makemkv.com

Again. When sending it to the support email address state your case/issue as detailed as humanly possible and link to this thread as well to cover your bases. Mike may be able to assist further on his end on this.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

It's possible the dump was corrupt or didn't make it there for whatever reason. I'd submit it again just in case. I would delete the old dump and recreate it before sending.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Pezzy

Post by Pezzy »

st4evr & SamuriHL; here's what I did:

Just in case my previous dump file that I submitted was corrupt, I tried running the MakeMKV program on my John Wick 4K UHD disc again; it still failed with the "The volume key is unknown for this disc....." error. So since I had tried again, it created another dump file in my .MakeMKV folder.

I then created another new e-mail and sent it to both e-mail addresses you gave, st4evr (support@makemkv.com & svq@makemkv.com), and then attached the newly created dump file that had today's date on it. And, like you also suggested, I gave detailed information and a link to this forum thread.

Keeping my fingers crossed :D :P :wink:
Pez

P.S. In the meantime, I had used the MakeMKV program on another 4K UHD disc - Inception - and it worked just fine and created an .mkv file.
aan3kk

Post by aan3kk »

Is there a way to identify a disc manually and maybe the corresponding hkd/sdf/svq files? I just made a mkv out of John Wick 4K UltraHD.
djackson539

Post by djackson539 »

So, how'd it turn out? Did the disc finally decrypt? I'm having the same exact issue with my UHD copy of Gladiator.