Avengers 4 endgame

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
maintainin

Re: Avengers 4 endgame

Post by maintainin »

Well there are absolutely no visible blemishes on either disc but considering they fail at two completely different spots points to something on them the drives aren't liking.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Unless you have microscopic vision, how it "looks to you" is irrelevant. UHD's store up to 3x more data in the same space as a blu-ray. Meaning even at a microscopic level it can cause issues even if the disc "looks fine".
maintainin

Post by maintainin »

And yet I have UHD discs I've had for a few years that do have visible blemishes that have ripped fine. As a matter of fact out of all my years of ripping these two brand new discs are the only ones that won't rip.

I'm not arguing with you, obviously there is something wrong with the discs. I just think it's a little ridiculous that I happened to get two brand new discs and both won't rip. Or just some really bad luck.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

handcraftedbits wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:45 am

Another FYI for anyone new to this, you'll always be able to do a full disc backup, even if the keys aren't known yet (no actual decryption takes place). This is precisely what I do when I get a "volume key unknown" error. Back it up, put away the disc forever, and check back in a few days.
This is also good as you can verify the disc itself is free of defects.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:40 pm
Unless you have microscopic vision, how it "looks to you" is irrelevant. UHD's store up to 3x more data in the same space as a blu-ray. Meaning even at a microscopic level it can cause issues even if the disc "looks fine".
Based on this math, a standard BD stores 25 GB per layer, so you're saying they store upwards of 75 GB per layer? All along I thought it was 25GB vs 33GB, a 75% increase in density, not 300%. :mrgreen:
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Krawk wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:16 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:40 pm
Based on this math, a standard BD stores 25 GB per layer, so you're saying they store upwards of 75 GB per layer? All along I thought it was 25GB vs 33GB, a 75% increase in density, not 300%. :mrgreen:
Well, I suppose quadruple layer discs aren't used for UHD so double the storage of BD. Still, the point stands that "I looked at the disc and it's clean" is a total bullshit method of looking for defects in a disc.
RickInHouston

Post by RickInHouston »

ANSWERED...

I was lazy.

Found out you decrypt so you don't have to run it through MakeMKV again.

Carry on...

Quick question... Oops, this is UHD forum and not bluray, but actually the question is still valid, I guess???

When backing up a full bluray until the proper playlist is known, does it really matter, at all, if you check or uncheck the "Decrypt video files"? Seems it doesn't know, yet, so that check has no effect.

How does that factor in?

Thank you,

Rick
gyrfalcon

Post by gyrfalcon »

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.14.5 win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\silverstone/MakeMKV_log.txt
Backing up disc into folder "D:/Video/backup/AVENGERS_ENDGAME"
Using LibreDrive mode (v05 id=5E80BBEE7E45)
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00055.m2ts' at offset '26841772032'
DEBUG: Code 0 at b':py^]7Z&18OVbAmX>:29397679
DEBUG: Code 0 at b':py^]7Z&18OVbAmX>:121265131
DEBUG: Code 0 at %FzmF+1$0iw-!"WGjc5u:29396920
DEBUG: Code 233 at DcUkgYorp6WlVTNheOECsofu:0
Encountered 8 errors of type 'Read Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/read/
Backup failed

Fails in exactly the same spot every time. Disc looks good. Please don't say I have a bad drive...

Edit: It was bad media.

Disc says 1083350 8L500048U1.1 08E on bottom...can't read the rest.
Last edited by gyrfalcon on Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

A drive issue would tend to fail at DIFFERENT spots; the exact same point in a file points at an actual error on the disk at that point.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
gyrfalcon

Post by gyrfalcon »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:11 am
A drive issue would tend to fail at DIFFERENT spots; the exact same point in a file points at an actual error on the disk at that point.
You were correct, it was bad media. It seems like sometimes I have to try and image a disc multiple times before a good run. Are bluray drives super sensitive to going bad? Imaging UHD seems very touchy compared to standard blueray movies.
PaulCB

Post by PaulCB »

maintainin wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:26 pm
I plan on picking up a different drive to try endgame. I’ve tried two different discs, cleaned the hell out of both of them(already brand new out of the box), tried full back up instead of making mkv, saving to usb drive......nothing works. The two disks error out at two different spots. One much farther along than the other. Only disc I’ve had issues with.
I had two Endgame UHD discs fail in on me as well. Verified with two different drives. Each disc failed in the same (different for each disc) each time I tested it. Cleaned the hell out of them, even with soap & water, but didn't resolve anything. To validate it wasn't just a rip issue, I put one in the xbox, as the failure was very early on, and noted it also had a bad glitch that it couldn't pass without pixilating, pausing and then skipping a few seconds.
Might have had a 3rd or more fail but Amazon wouldn't ship me any more replacements as they had raised the price back up. Not the highest quality initial set of discs..
rui-no-onna

Post by rui-no-onna »

PaulCB wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:11 am
Might have had a 3rd or more fail but Amazon wouldn't ship me any more replacements as they had raised the price back up. Not the highest quality initial set of discs..
Got the Best Buy steelbook and Target digipak. Tested the discs and all of them were fine. Reckon Amazon just got a bad batch.