Hellboy (2004) UHD Blu-ray - Cannot be derypted

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
stuckinkodiagain

Hellboy (2004) UHD Blu-ray - Cannot be derypted

Post by stuckinkodiagain »

The upcoming 4K UHD blu-ray release of Hellboy (2004) cannot de decrypted in the latest version of MakeMKV (1.14.5). (I received my copy a few days early from Best Buy, as it officially releases on October 15, 2019.) Dump file has been sent to svq@makemkv.com.

Thanks as always to the developers!

EDIT: Also, I can confirm that it’s not AACS 2.1 encrypted.
demon

Re: Hellboy (2004) UHD Blu-ray - Cannot be derypted

Post by demon »

stuckinkodiagain wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:12 am
EDIT: Also, I can confirm that it’s not AACS 2.1 encrypted.
Oh good, I'd preordered a copy but was hoping they wouldn't be testing that with this title.
stuckinkodiagain

Aaaaaaaaand it's working now! Thanks to the developers! What an awesome quick response time!

(Please note that my copy is the U.S. Best Buy Steelbook. Sometimes, different retailers use different keys, each of which needs to be decrypted. So, if you buy a copy from Amazon, for example, it might not work until someone sends in a dump file for it. But... The Best Buy Steelbook is working just great now!)
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

stuckinkodiagain wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:45 pm
( Sometimes, different retailers use different keys, each of which needs to be decrypted. )
That is an incorrect assumption and/or wording. Retailers have absolutely no say on anything AACS protection related for any media content that uses it. It is entirely up to the studios, authoring companies they use (when third parties are involved), and their license contract with AACS LA.

In short, discs are sent to retailers by region. A single Best Buy store could have discs with 4+ different keys if the studio decided to use 4+ different keys for that region at release. And a year down the line, new keys could appear for the same exact title/content if the studios/content authors wishes to deploy new ones into the wild. As always, it’s entirely up to the studios putting out the content.

Your statement could provide misinformation to the many “noobs” coming into this. Instead, feel free to ask before making assumptions and someone here can answer/explain most of the time.
stuckinkodiagain

st4evr wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:48 am
stuckinkodiagain wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:45 pm
( Sometimes, different retailers use different keys, each of which needs to be decrypted. )
That is an incorrect assumption and/or wording. Retailers have absolutely no say on anything AACS protection related for any media content that uses it. It is entirely up to the studios, authoring companies they use (when third parties are involved), and their license contract with AACS LA.

In short, discs are sent to retailers by region. A single Best Buy store could have discs with 4+ different keys if the studio decided to use 4+ different keys for that region at release. And a year down the line, new keys could appear for the same exact title/content if the studios/content authors wishes to deploy new ones into the wild. As always, it’s entirely up to the studios putting out the content.

Your statement could provide misinformation to the many “noobs” coming into this. Instead, feel free to ask before making assumptions and someone here can answer/explain most of the time.
Thank you for explaining. That's very insightful.

However, I don't think it's unfair to say that - when speaking from the experience of a layman consumer - I've noticed that different retailers have different keys. I've purchased UHD discs on Amazon that don't decrypt, when the Best Buy version does. (Until, of course, the Amazon version gets decrypted by you guys.)

That's all I meant. And I don't think that's false information. My wording was perhaps not 100% correct. And it is not as detailed of a picture as you painted.

Thanks for the lesson.

EDITED to remove some snarkiness on my part, even if deserved. And for additional clarification.
archalien

Post by archalien »

Just got the Amazon version this morning, also not working. Will try to post dump to support address and reply here once corrected.
archalien

Post by archalien »

I got my Amazon copy this morning and it was not working.
So I searched and tried learning how to generate/find/submit dump file to support.

However, I could not find the indicated file in the program directory, or the target video folder.

As I was reading on this I noticed that what I was experiencing seemed to be slightly different than what was being described.

It seems the disc could be opened and enumerated, however, MakeMKV seemed to (soft crash) while I was deselecting unwanted content. By "soft" I mean, the app would flicker, it would show no disc in drive, no logs, no dump, no target directory for file created as I never made it that far. I would have to eject/insert the disc again to get MakeMKV to recognize the disc again.

This happened 3-4 times, until literally I started this post, while typing the post I was able to enumerate and finish deselecting the content. It is currently processing my selections.

Anyone able to direct me to something I did wrong, or why the app kept crashing while deselecting content?

Thanks
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

My copy from Amazon arrived today and it dumped without any issues.
archalien

Post by archalien »

Im not sure what was happening, I was able to do Hellboy 1 and 2 without issues as soon as I posted....lol makemkv magic I guess.
demariners

Post by demariners »

Having issues as well?

How did people get this to work. Same error. Can not decrypt.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

demariners wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:00 am
Having issues as well?

How did people get this to work. Same error. Can not decrypt.
1. Is MakeMKV downloading the sdf file successfully for you? If not, read this thread:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17848

And check/change your DNS as it's discussed towards the last several pages of that thread. Or download it manually through the link also provided there.

2. If there is no problem with the sdf download on your end, have you submitted the dump file generated as it's discussed in this very post/thread by other members above your post?
demariners

Post by demariners »

I emailed the dump file.

Waiting on a response if that is what you mean. I did all that with the SDP. I get the same error as others that it fails to download.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

demariners wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:32 pm
I emailed the dump file.

Waiting on a response if that is what you mean. I did all that with the SDP. I get the same error as others that it fails to download.
There is no response to wait for. No one ever gets a response for the submittal of dumps.

If the SDF file is failing to download as discussed in that linked thread, then it's a DNS issue on your end. There is nothing anyone in this forum or the developer of MakeMKV can do about this. The developer nor anyone in this forum have direct control of your hardware as this is a problem between your hardware and whatever DNS server/settings it is using.

Updates to that SDF file are required to stay up to date with decryption keys for all UHD releases. If it's not being downloaded/updated, MakeMKV will not be able to decrypt your newer discs.
demariners

Post by demariners »

I believe I understand.

How do I "fix" my DNS issues? It is my ISP? It used to download without any issues. What changed?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

demariners wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:29 am
I believe I understand.

How do I "fix" my DNS issues? It is my ISP? It used to download without any issues. What changed?
1. As I advised in one of my previous posts, read that thread. Here’s the link again:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17848

There are several troubleshooting steps noted there by members that helped resolve the issue for many. And why forum admins also now made it a sticky post at the top of that sub-forum. You are going to have to put some effort into this. We can’t do it for you or hold your hand through the process. It’s impossible for something like this through an online forum.

2. Google is your friend:

https://www.google.com/search?q=trouble ... e&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C9BK ... mk5D0sDi4U

Learn to use it for stuff like this. It will provide thousands of step-by-step tutorials (videos and in text) and explanations for common questions and tasks like this one.