Unable to Decrypt UHD Scarface Using LibreDrive

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
aarpcard

Unable to Decrypt UHD Scarface Using LibreDrive

Post by aarpcard »

Not sure if I should post this here in on the LibreDrive page. This is all new to me to even-though I've read through this forum a lot, I'll probably make terminology mistakes and have gaps in my understanding of the processes.

I have an Asus BC-12D2HT drive that was manufactured in August of 2019. It came with the 3.00 version firmware on it. After doing some research I found that in order to use LibreDrive firmware/functionality I would need to upgrade it to the 3.01 MK firmware. I did this successfully and the drive still works and will rip various UHD discs using direct access mode.

However when I try to rip a UHD copy of Scarface I just bought when using LibreDrive direct access mode, I get the following error: "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted."

The AACS versions listed in the dump filename is V65, whereas the latest version on my drive reported by MakeMKV is V68. I've already emailed the dump file to the support email address.

I thought that the LibreDrive direct access functionality was supposed to remove the possibility of AACS host revocation. Why is it failing with this disc?

Again, I'm really new to this so I'm probably missing something simple. Thanks for the patience.
d00zah

Re: Unable to Decrypt UHD Scarface Using LibreDrive

Post by d00zah »

Probably beneficial to read the whole thing, but refer to the section 'How do I discover the key for a disc I have?' for this issue:

UHD FAQ
aarpcard

Post by aarpcard »

I guess my confusion stems from my impression that LibreDrive reads the raw data from the disk which MKV then converts into a .mkv file therefore bypassing the need for an AACS key.

Does it not work this way?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

[brain fart] Please disregard. See:

What is LibreDrive?
Last edited by d00zah on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

LibreDrive simply tells the drive to ignore restrictions. It doesn't affect encryption.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Same asked and discussed here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 925#p75925

and in multiple other threads. In short, LibreDrive is not a magic pill for AACS decryption.
rifer11

Post by rifer11 »

Outragous. We are 1/5 th of the way into the 21st century and this crap still is going on. Stop Fix it. Or stop selling the product!!

R Rife