Mission Impossible Fallout 4k disc not recognised

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
TedBops

Mission Impossible Fallout 4k disc not recognised

Post by TedBops »

I have recently installed a new Asus BW-16D1HT drive flashed with firmware 3.10 and it has so far worked flawlessly with MakeMKV to rip various 4k discs to my hard drive.
I was surprised to find that Mission Impossible Fallout UHD disc is not being recognised by the drive despite playing normally in my Sony UHD player. I have tried cleaning it but it just spins up for a while making the periodic sound which most discs do if you leave them in the drive and MakeMKV reports 'No disc inserted'.
Is there any reason why one particular disc is not recognised?
bbraskey67

Re: Mission Impossible Fallout 4k disc not recognised

Post by bbraskey67 »

I have the same drive/firmware. I have at least 3 4K UHD movies (out of about 110) that the drive will not recognize no matter how many times I clean them. They won't even show up in Windows Explorer. Though they all play fine in my Sony UHD blu-ray player. I also have Mission Impossible Fallout UHD, but my disc ripped just fine, so weird. Not sure what to do about it, but it really isn't MakeMKV's fault that our drives can't read some discs. Maybe some discs have small manufacturing defects. Who knows.
DiscHoarder

Re: Mission Impossible Fallout 4k disc not recognised

Post by DiscHoarder »

Fallout ripped fine for me with the same drive and firmware on my Mac - Close Encounters 4K however did not rip, which others say did.

I didn't flash my Asus drive but bought it from someone on Ebay (user DVD Maniac on these forums) in these forums. It's the 3.10 firmware which I assume is the same one as everyone else is using.

Others have suggested getting as second brand drive for problem discs.