Play UHD+Atmos on ATV 4K?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Twister20

Play UHD+Atmos on ATV 4K?

Post by Twister20 »

Is it possible to play a UHD rip with Atmos on the Apple TV 4K (via Plex, MrMc, Infuse, etc.), or do I need something like the Shield Pro?
SamuriHL

Re: Play UHD+Atmos on ATV 4K?

Post by SamuriHL »

The Apple device supports MAT2.0 which decodes the ATMOS on the ATV so that it can inject its own sounds into it. It's not bitstreaming but it is ATMOS. Whether that is sufficient or not is up to you. Personally I like having my receiver do the decoding and bitstream everything.
whitehusky

Post by whitehusky »

I use Infuse to plat rips with Atmos and it works perfect. (Plex works, too, but for some reason Plex buffers for me a lot from my NAS where Infuse just plays perfectly.)
mattyj2001

Post by mattyj2001 »

whitehusky wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:48 am
I use Infuse to plat rips with Atmos and it works perfect. (Plex works, too, but for some reason Plex buffers for me a lot from my NAS where Infuse just plays perfectly.)
How? Do you happen to have discs with Atmos in an E-AC3 track? The ones I have (so far that I've seen) are in TrueHD and don't trigger Atmos in my soundbar. Are you remuxing the audio? Thanks! I'm stumped.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

It doesn't. Files with TrueHD Atmos tracks will be converted to LPCM 7.1 by infuse. It will play, but you're not getting TrueHD Atmos on ATV.
mattyj2001

Post by mattyj2001 »

That's what I thought. The previous message implies that Atmos 'works fine'. It does 'work fine' if we mean 'sound comes out of the sound bar', but it ain't gonna be Atmos.