4K movies from the UK

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Procat

4K movies from the UK

Post by Procat »

I will being going to the UK on holiday soon, and was wondering about getting 4K movies while there, as some aren’t available here. If I rip to a file will they play ok on my system in the states? My understanding is there may be some flicker. Can anyone confirm this?
Thank you for any information.
VarHD

Re: 4K movies from the UK

Post by VarHD »

Not sure where you've got the idea about flicker :shock: , but no, there won't be any flicker or any issues whatsoever. Unlike DVDs and standard Blu-rays, the 4K UHD Blu-ray specification doesn't have regional restrictions so they will play just fine, even directly in your 4K player (if you have one).
Procat

Post by Procat »

VarHD wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:28 pm
Not sure where you've got the idea about flicker :shock: , but no, there won't be any flicker or any issues whatsoever. Unlike DVDs and standard Blu-rays, the 4K UHD Blu-ray specification doesn't have regional restrictions so they will play just fine, even directly in your 4K player (if you have one).
Thank you for the info. I got the flicker info from a web site, as they mentioned 25fps vs 30fps.
VarHD

Post by VarHD »

Procat wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:41 pm
I got the flicker info from a web site, as they mentioned 25fps vs 30fps.
A-ha. I suspect that must have been related to the very old analogue signals which were indeed different - in the US you had NTSC which would run at 60 Hz (30 frames, interlaced) and in Europe we had PAL at 50 Hz (25 frames, interlaced).

Those days are gone. The only problem nowadays would be with standard 1080p Blu-rays and their region coding (at least when it comes to direct playback because MakeMKV would also strip it), but as I've said, 4K Blu-ray doesn't even have that so enjoy the shopping spree ;)