Midway 2019 4K (new BD-J protection?)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
skyzyx

Re: Midway 2019 4K (new BD-J protection?)

Post by skyzyx »

skyzyx wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:12 pm
Has anyone gone looking for the Redbox UHD disc playlist yet? I see messages about Best Buy.
Nevermind. Watched the movie chapters and confirmed it's also 504.
msl0426

Post by msl0426 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:09 pm
xmenw wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:04 pm
I'm not asking MakeMKV to fix this particular issue, only if anyone knows of a work around, any manual step that can be done to edit and fix the playlist.
No, there isn't a publicly known method for doing so afaik. It requires patching the jar files so they pass the protection checks and return the correct playlist. The protection works by running checks against the disc, one of which is "is there AACS protection?". The moment you remove the AACS protection, you change the answer to that question and change the outcome. Think of this protection like a choose your own adventure where if you pick the wrong path it leads you to the wrong answer. I'm VASTLY oversimplifying this whole thing so don't take this as a technical analysis of the protection. I just wanted to demonstrate what the protection is doing to identify the correct playlist on an untouched disc vs why it fails on a backup. To patch the jars there's a whole unknown process some companies use which, again, is not public knowledge. Incidentally, this is one of the reasons I choose to own more than one backup product. I don't find that one size fits all.
Which software patches the JARs? Not sure if it's against forum rules to say. If so can you PM me? Thanks!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Both AnyDVD and DVDFab will create full disc backups of screen pass protected dsics.