UHD Disks that Behave like They're Damaged

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Chris Kelly

UHD Disks that Behave like They're Damaged

Post by Chris Kelly »

I purchase my titles on disk directly from Amazon. Has anyone noticed this pattern in which when purchasing titles on UHD Blu-ray disk, the drive would behave like the disk was damaged, and then when you return the disk and purchase another copy of the same item, there are no problems? It happened with "The Shining," and I think is the same with "The Last Jedi." I'm wondering if it's exclusive to Amazon, or if some copies of certain items are manufactured to behave like they're defective in order to avoid successful decryption.
Chris Kelly

Re: UHD Disks that Behave like They're Damaged

Post by Chris Kelly »

Chris Kelly wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:10 pm
I purchase my titles on disk directly from Amazon. Has anyone noticed this pattern in which when purchasing titles on UHD Blu-ray disk, the drive would behave like the disk was damaged, and then when you return the disk and purchase another copy of the same item, there are no problems? It happened with "The Shining," and I think is the same with "The Last Jedi." I'm wondering if it's exclusive to Amazon, or if some copies of certain items are manufactured to behave like they're defective in order to avoid successful decryption.
According to responses to my thread/topic at the Red Fox forum, computer drives are more sensitive to manufacturing flaws than blu-ray players because computer drives are used for data transfer AND playback, whereas Blu-ray players are only used for playback. From now on, if I have a question not specific to AnyDVDHD or MakeMKV, should I just post in the VideoHelp forum?
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

My Amazon replacement for the UHD Blu-ray edition of "The Last Jedi" arrived today and is giving me the same problem. I'm using an LG WH16NS40 NS50 flashed from firmware 1.03 to firmware 1.02. The drive struggles to read and nearly stops reading the disk in the middle of copying/ripping and gives errors, reports bad secters/sectors, etc.. Should I try flashing it to the ASUS model, the LG BE16NU50, LG BH16NS40, LG BH16NS60, or LG WH16NS60 firmwares?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Chris Kelly wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:50 pm
My Amazon replacement for the UHD Blu-ray edition of "The Last Jedi" arrived today and is giving me the same problem. I'm using an LG WH16NS40 NS50 flashed from firmware 1.03 to firmware 1.02. The drive struggles to read and nearly stops reading the disk in the middle of copying/ripping and gives errors, reports bad secters/sectors, etc.. Should I try flashing it to the ASUS model, the LG BE16NU50, LG BH16NS40, LG BH16NS60, or LG WH16NS60 firmwares?
No your drive is most likely defective if it does it on multiple discs
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:50 pm
Chris Kelly wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:50 pm
No your drive is most likely defective if it does it on multiple discs
But it works fine with other UHD Blu-ray disks.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Chris Kelly wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:25 pm

yeah i have seen it like that before some drives have trouble with just some types of uhd and work perfect with others.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:15 am
Chris Kelly wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:25 pm

yeah i have seen it like that before some drives have trouble with just some types of uhd and work perfect with others.
My UHD for "2001: A Space Odyssey" is working flawlessly. So I guess I'll be watching "The Last Jedi" in SDR 1080p unless or until there's a firmware, hardware, or software solution.
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

Now that I called this to everyone's attention, I think it would be good to keep an eye out for more titles with this issue in case it is some new form of encryption, protection, etc. which needs to be circumvented by enthusiasts.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Chris Kelly wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:21 am
Now that I called this to everyone's attention, I think it would be good to keep an eye out for more titles with this issue in case it is some new form of encryption, protection, etc. which needs to be circumvented by enthusiasts.
It's the drive not a protection trust me I have gotten 50+ bad drives I know how annoying it is
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:12 am
Chris Kelly wrote:
It's the drive not a protection trust me I have gotten 50+ bad drives I know how annoying it is
Conflicting reports at the Red Fox forum claim it's several copies of the UHD Blu-ray edition of "The Last Jedi." So I guess I'll return my copy and give this time to see what everyone comes up with before I get another drive or another copy of this title.
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

Chris Kelly wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:03 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:12 am
Chris Kelly wrote:
Conflicting reports at the Red Fox forum claim it's several copies of the UHD Blu-ray edition of "The Last Jedi." So I guess I'll return my copy and give this time to see what everyone comes up with before I get another drive or another copy of this title.
I think the third time is the charm. I'm now on my third copy of "The Last Jedi." It took a few attemps to load the disk, but once it loaded, so far it's ripping successfully. If ripping stops, I'll delete this post. But at least I know that when this happens to just keep exchanging it until I get the copy that my drive works with.
filmgeek47

Post by filmgeek47 »

This happened to me with my first copy of Last Jedi. Second copy worked perfectly. I think some manufacturers are just sloppier than others in terms of leaving a film on the disc. Sometimes a careful cleaning (even if the disc looks pristine) will help. I returned my copy of Last Jedi through Disney support. The next copy I got worked fine.
rifth427

Post by rifth427 »

I’ve had the same problem with purchases from amazon. AND I’ve actually received new discs that were visibly filthy from amazon. If a disc fails to rip I exchange it at their cost. No questions asked.
darkedgex

Post by darkedgex »

This happened to me with The Shining (Best Buy Steelbook edition). I'd actually written off being able to rip the disc, and then recently (because I've been cooped up for the last few weeks) I decided to take another run at it. I'd never tried cleaning the disc (which I know is the #1 thing suggested for this, so yeah, it's my own fault for not trying it sooner), but I used some of those little disposable optical lens wipes (the Zeiss ones you can buy in big packs at Walmart in the USA; tho any brand ought to work, it's usually just a disposable wipe in isopropyl alcohol) and gently wiped from the inner ring outwards. Now before I did this, I did observe very small shiny spots on the disc that ran with the rotation of the disc; the gentle wiping made these go away. I also paid close attention to the outer ring of the disc. After doing this, and eyeballing it for any residue left over from my own wiping, I tried the disc again.

Imagine my surprise when it actually ripped on the first try!

Obviously it's ideal if the first disc you get works, and I've been guilty of returning and exchanging discs when I run in to this problem, but if you can get it to work on your own, even better. =)
golobulus

Post by golobulus »

Just wanted to confirm that I've had the same experience. New 4K blu-ray out of the box will read about half way through and throw errors. Visually the disk looks perfect. I just had this happen with San Andreas and washed the disk with dish soap and made sure to rinse it thoroughly. Once done the disk that failed multiple times read all the way through. Seems these disks are very sensitive and a bit finicky. It still helps to know that others are dealing with this too :D