Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
SamuriHL

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by SamuriHL »

omk1980 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:05 pm
I just saw that yesterday. Very exciting. I've been doing full backups per your recommendations and eager to get to the dv files. Is there any degradation in quality or would this be identical to putting the disc in the player?
No degradation in quality. Same quality as the disc. It's....VERY nice. :)

siriusbox wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:25 pm
Wow! nice progress!

So, I wonder if once we have a MKV with DV in the video layer, what would we need in order to play directly from the MKV? MKV support in the file type itself or just player support? both? I guess that shouldn't any kind of limitation on those hardware which license Dolby Vision, so, for instance, Plex on Shield TV 2019 could support DV playing if MKV also support it, isn't it? That would be the perfect scenario, remuxing to .ts is a good alternative but obiously not the perfect one.
Also not "once we have a..." we DO have a. :) What we need is a player that can use the MKV that Mike is creating. The metadata is now embedded in the MKV that the decoder would need, so, it requires support by the player to read that and pass it to the decoder. Plex could choose to add this support if they want to. Remember this isn't an "official" MKV standard. But there's nothing preventing someone like Plex or Kodi from using this. Then we can just rip MKV's and be happy. That's the day I'm waiting for, as well. Well, "waiting for" is a stretch. I'm re-ripping all my DV titles to TS right now. :D
cardsdoc

Post by cardsdoc »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:54 pm
For those that are looking to make this work in the easiest way possible:

1) Rip to MKV with MakeMKV
2) eac3to titlename.mkv 2: titlename.thd+ac3
Note: titlename should be replaced with the actual name of the MKV
3) Add the MKV and the thd+ac3 track to TSMuxer
4) Remux to TS

I've done this to a few of them. Currently watching Ready Player One on my SHIELD Pro 2019 in Plex as we speak. This is fantastic.
When creating MKV do we need to choose both THD and core AC3 track in MakeMKV or just the THD track? Also what version of tsmuxer should we be using? Thanks.
bronan

Post by bronan »

-
Last edited by bronan on Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
siriusbox

Post by siriusbox »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:02 pm
omk1980 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:05 pm
I just saw that yesterday. Very exciting. I've been doing full backups per your recommendations and eager to get to the dv files. Is there any degradation in quality or would this be identical to putting the disc in the player?
No degradation in quality. Same quality as the disc. It's....VERY nice. :)

siriusbox wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:25 pm
Wow! nice progress!

So, I wonder if once we have a MKV with DV in the video layer, what would we need in order to play directly from the MKV? MKV support in the file type itself or just player support? both? I guess that shouldn't any kind of limitation on those hardware which license Dolby Vision, so, for instance, Plex on Shield TV 2019 could support DV playing if MKV also support it, isn't it? That would be the perfect scenario, remuxing to .ts is a good alternative but obiously not the perfect one.
Also not "once we have a..." we DO have a. :) What we need is a player that can use the MKV that Mike is creating. The metadata is now embedded in the MKV that the decoder would need, so, it requires support by the player to read that and pass it to the decoder. Plex could choose to add this support if they want to. Remember this isn't an "official" MKV standard. But there's nothing preventing someone like Plex or Kodi from using this. Then we can just rip MKV's and be happy. That's the day I'm waiting for, as well. Well, "waiting for" is a stretch. I'm re-ripping all my DV titles to TS right now. :D
I guess we need to put some pressure on Plex forums in order to get support, besides although it not strictly needed, MKV should add support to correctly indicate that it contains DV, so media players can ask/trust on the info provided on the MKV, I supposse that is the way it should be implemented as a whole.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

cardsdoc wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:09 pm
When creating MKV do we need to choose both THD and core AC3 track in MakeMKV or just the THD track? Also what version of tsmuxer should we be using? Thanks.
if you're using the eac3to command I put in the steps then no, you can rip just the TrueHD 7.1 track. EAC3TO will re-encode an AC3 track from that and interleave it so TSMuxer can pick it up.

As for TSMuxer, I don't have the link to it but the file I'm using is:

tsMuxer (04.06 fix)).rar

I grabbed that from a link in the other thread at some point near the end of March.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

siriusbox wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:31 pm

I guess we need to put some pressure on Plex forums in order to get support, besides although it not strictly needed, MKV should add support to correctly indicate that it contains DV, so media players can ask/trust on the info provided on the MKV, I supposse that is the way it should be implemented as a whole.
I doubt pressuring them will do anything, but, putting in a request wouldn't hurt. As for MKV, I don't know enough about how the standard is modified and published to know how DV could be officially added. Ultimately it doesn't matter as long as everyone in the chain agrees on an implementation. The metadata Mike is adding came from the official MP4 spec for Dolby Vision so it should definitely work if one of these players added support for reading it in the MKV container.
jayper

Post by jayper »

Sharing what I believe is the post which contains the TsMuxer version you need. It came from this thread: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... start=1815
RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:56 pm
here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q5v4-J ... sp=sharing

open source tsmuxer have the github icon and no paypal icon.

siriusbox

Post by siriusbox »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:37 pm
siriusbox wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:31 pm

I doubt pressuring them will do anything, but, putting in a request wouldn't hurt. As for MKV, I don't know enough about how the standard is modified and published to know how DV could be officially added. Ultimately it doesn't matter as long as everyone in the chain agrees on an implementation. The metadata Mike is adding came from the official MP4 spec for Dolby Vision so it should definitely work if one of these players added support for reading it in the MKV container.
I already did a FR on Plex Forums.
anothermkvuser

Post by anothermkvuser »

SamuriHL wrote:

4) Remux to TS

I've done this to a few of them. Currently watching Ready Player One on my SHIELD Pro 2019 in Plex as we speak. This is fantastic.
Hi SamuriHL —

Thanks for the quick sum it up, here are the steps.
Since eac3to — is Windows only, I need an app for OSX / Mac OS.

MKV made with 1.15.1. For playback, I'm using Infuse 6.3+ client on an Apple 4K box. Plays MKV and sees the 7.1 but not Atmos.

Developer said:
"Apple TV has limited support for Atmos content, and Infuse (6.3 and later) will support Atmos when using E-AC3 audio tracks
Unfortunately, Atmos with TrueHD audio tracks are not currently supported."
From my understanding if I can find an app to replace your step #2 (eac3to) I might be able to make atmos work with what I have.

Any help would be appreciated.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Genuinely don't know. My summary was outlining the work others have done to make this process drop dead simple. I wouldn't have a clue what tool could be used to replace what eac3to is doing or even if there is an alternative. On Linux I'd recommend trying wine and seeing if eac3to would run under that (be willing to bet it does). OSX is not my cup of tea unfortunately.
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

anothermkvuser wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:19 pm
SamuriHL wrote:

4) Remux to TS

Hi SamuriHL —

Thanks for the quick sum it up, here are the steps.
Since eac3to — is Windows only, I need an app for OSX / Mac OS.

MKV made with 1.15.1. For playback, I'm using Infuse 6.3+ client on an Apple 4K box. Plays MKV and sees the 7.1 but not Atmos.

Developer said:
"Apple TV has limited support for Atmos content, and Infuse (6.3 and later) will support Atmos when using E-AC3 audio tracks
Unfortunately, Atmos with TrueHD audio tracks are not currently supported."
From my understanding if I can find an app to replace your step #2 (eac3to) I might be able to make atmos work with what I have.

Any help would be appreciated.
You will not get Atmos from these files on the ATV4K, its not supported.
We have no way of "making" an Atmos E-AC3 file.

The best you will get is DD+7.1, but you need the Dolby Software.

Keep the original Atmos intact, and the ATV4K will send it as Multi Channel PCM 7.1

Also, ATV4K only supports Profile 5 - these files being created are not Profile 5 so they will not trigger Dolby Vision on the ATV4K
cardsdoc

Post by cardsdoc »

My prior workflow of creating HDR10 MKVs with forced subs (for those movies with foreign/alien language parts) was after ripping appropriate sub track with makemkv I would edit subtitle flags with mkvtoolnix to make them forced. Is there anyway to deal with this with TS files? If not those movies that need forced subs I would wait until there is an MKV player solution.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Angryunibrow wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:32 pm
Huh?
Extract Atmos metadata from TrueHD frame, decode TrueHD frame to LPCM, encode LPCM to eac3, add Atmos metadata to eac3 frame.
This can even be done on the fly...
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

mike admin wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:21 pm
Angryunibrow wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:32 pm
Huh?
Extract Atmos metadata from TrueHD frame, decode TrueHD frame to LPCM, encode LPCM to eac3, add Atmos metadata to eac3 frame.
This can even be done on the fly...
I've never seen this done, what tools are required.

Because I can make a DD+7.1 file, I would love to add Atmos to that.
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

cardsdoc wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:21 pm
My prior workflow of creating HDR10 MKVs with forced subs (for those movies with foreign/alien language parts) was after ripping appropriate sub track with makemkv I would edit subtitle flags with mkvtoolnix to make them forced. Is there anyway to deal with this with TS files? If not those movies that need forced subs I would wait until there is an MKV player solution.
If you use Plex, have them as an extrnal .srt file.
Plex will play them just fine, this is what I do.

i make an .srt from the pgs sub file using subtitle edit.