Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
steffenmanden
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:49 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by steffenmanden » Sun May 24, 2020 9:10 pm

yusesope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:07 pm
steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:43 pm
Also know that it can still change
Of course
steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:43 pm
...as some people simply cant stop sharing.
but isn't this the ultimate goal? To share...


The code does not work if a standard is not approved first...it is harmless.

And anyway, bad bad people who share without permission, know that inside my code there is always a deadly virus that will send your shields in quarantine!

Goodnight forum.
Problem is that other people are thrilled like us, so Some players might hurry and get these changes in to get attention! Suddenly everybody start using this way :cry:

We should wait with starting untill the standard is in place or untill then just keep it in a private thread. You will still get the credit anyway, so no difference there and people would need to test later anyway :-)

Meant no harm, just saying it could hurt just the thing you are trying to get integrated faster!
There is a reason Moritz also raised the concerns!
Last edited by steffenmanden on Tue May 26, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

olevelo
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:59 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by olevelo » Sun May 24, 2020 9:39 pm

yusesope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:36 pm
Maybe the Refresh Rate app (HERE) could solve the problem.
Success! Well mostly. The Refresh Rate app is detecting the correct refresh rate to use and displays it when the video starts playing, but it's not automatically switching, or when I use the "match frame rate" hotkey. But, if I use the OSD popup and select the correct one, then it works! Even better, I was able to just set Exoplayer to default to 23.97hz so it just works! If I happen to come across a movie with a different frame rate I can just use the hotkey to switch. So that gives me about 90% of all I could ask for! Thanks!

If I find some time I might take a look at the match frame rate source code as well, see if I can implement the API. I've been curious about digging into some of this. Is the code for this version of Exoplayer available somewhere?

yusesope
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:34 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by yusesope » Sun May 24, 2020 9:39 pm

steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:10 pm
yusesope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:07 pm
steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:43 pm
Also know that it can still change
Of course
steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:43 pm
...as some people simply cant stop sharing.
but isn't this the ultimate goal? To share...


The code does not work if a standard is not approved first...it is harmless.

And anyway, bad bad people who share without permission, know that inside my code there is always a deadly virus that will send your shields in quarantine!

Goodnight forum.
Problem is that other people are thrilled like us, so Some players might hurry and get these changes in to get attention! Suddently everybody start using this way :cry:

We should wait with starting untill the standard is in place or untill then just keep it in a private threat. You will still get the credit anyway, so no difference there and people would need to test later anyway :-)

Meant no harm, just saying it could hurt just the thing you are trying to get integrated faster!
There is a reason Moritz also raised the concerns!
I fully understand your point of view ...
But it will not be yusesope (or anyone else) to set the standard: that is the job of matroska inc.

Then consider that if I had kept my code for me, today MakeMkv could not generate files with DV, matroska would not have had to revise the standard and I would not have people like you and shawnc22 to help with the ExoPlayer code ...

I did well to share ...

If others like to use code that in a few days may no longer work, then do it ...

The standard will always be the one imposed by matroska ...

steffenmanden
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:49 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by steffenmanden » Sun May 24, 2020 9:47 pm

yusesope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:39 pm
steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:10 pm
yusesope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:07 pm

Of course


but isn't this the ultimate goal? To share...


The code does not work if a standard is not approved first...it is harmless.

And anyway, bad bad people who share without permission, know that inside my code there is always a deadly virus that will send your shields in quarantine!

Goodnight forum.
Problem is that other people are thrilled like us, so Some players might hurry and get these changes in to get attention! Suddently everybody start using this way :cry:

We should wait with starting untill the standard is in place or untill then just keep it in a private threat. You will still get the credit anyway, so no difference there and people would need to test later anyway :-)

Meant no harm, just saying it could hurt just the thing you are trying to get integrated faster!
There is a reason Moritz also raised the concerns!
I fully understand your point of view ...
But it will not be yusesope (or anyone else) to set the standard: that is the job of matroska inc.

Then consider that if I had kept my code for me, today MakeMkv could not generate files with DV, matroska would not have had to revise the standard and I would not have people like you and shawnc22 to help with the ExoPlayer code ...

I did well to share ...

If others like to use code that in a few days may no longer work, then do it ...

The standard will always be the one imposed by matroska ...
Matroska does not update the standard anymore... they stopped a few years ago.

it moved to a seperate entity where Mortiz amongst others are reviewers for change!

No one is telling you to do nothing but just wait with making changes official before the change has become a thing. Credits still go the same way.

But leave it be, wont argue! Just highlighting the request from various people - including reviewers for the mkv standard.

olevelo
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:59 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by olevelo » Sun May 24, 2020 9:58 pm

steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:58 pm
Results wouldnt be any different for you if you got it later, but future options for mkv could be damaged :-)
Umm, yeah the results would be very different, I would have no way to play them right now! Who knows when the "official" version will be available. There's zero reason to hold back working code.
steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:10 pm
Problem is that other people are thrilled like us, so Some players might hurry and get these changes in to get attention! Suddently everybody start using this way :cry:
That makes zero sense. If another player wants to implement it, then great, now people have more options. It's not like they can even copy yusecope's method since as far as I know the code hasn't been posted anywhere.
steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:10 pm
We should wait with starting untill the standard is in place or untill then just keep it in a private threat. You will still get the credit anyway, so no difference there and people would need to test later anyway :-)

Meant no harm, just saying it could hurt just the thing you are trying to get integrated faster!
There is a reason Moritz also raised the concerns!
You know how standards become standard? By there being something to build off of, and people using that. By your logic, Mike never should have implemented any method to embed DV into MKV, and we STILL wouldn't have the Matroska Mafia talking about ANY method to fix this problem that we've had for YEARS. It's people like you who have a corporate way of thinking that everything must go through 25 checks and balances before anything is done and zero progress is made. This is all open source stuff. Therefore it should be in the open. If people are smart enough to even use any of the tools required to get these initial looks at this stuff, they are smart enough to know that it's likely to change in the future.

yusesope
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:34 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by yusesope » Sun May 24, 2020 10:03 pm

steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:47 pm
But leave it be, wont argue! Just highlighting the request from various people - including reviewers for the mkv standard.
Thank you for the advice ...
It wasn't my intention to bother you ...

yusesope
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:34 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by yusesope » Sun May 24, 2020 10:04 pm

olevelo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:39 pm
Is the code for this version of Exoplayer available somewhere?
https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer

olevelo
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:59 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by olevelo » Sun May 24, 2020 10:08 pm

yusesope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:04 pm
olevelo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:39 pm
Is the code for this version of Exoplayer available somewhere?
https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer
I meant with your mods so it works with MKVs with DV haha!

steffenmanden
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:49 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by steffenmanden » Sun May 24, 2020 10:14 pm

olevelo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:08 pm
yusesope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:04 pm
olevelo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:39 pm
Is the code for this version of Exoplayer available somewhere?
https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer
I meant with your mods so it works with MKVs with DV haha!
Yusesope, this proves my point :-) have a good night!

steffenmanden
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:49 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by steffenmanden » Sun May 24, 2020 10:21 pm

olevelo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:58 pm
steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:58 pm
Results wouldnt be any different for you if you got it later, but future options for mkv could be damaged :-)
Umm, yeah the results would be very different, I would have no way to play them right now! Who knows when the "official" version will be available. There's zero reason to hold back working code.
steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:10 pm
Problem is that other people are thrilled like us, so Some players might hurry and get these changes in to get attention! Suddently everybody start using this way :cry:
That makes zero sense. If another player wants to implement it, then great, now people have more options. It's not like they can even copy yusecope's method since as far as I know the code hasn't been posted anywhere.
steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:10 pm
We should wait with starting untill the standard is in place or untill then just keep it in a private threat. You will still get the credit anyway, so no difference there and people would need to test later anyway :-)

Meant no harm, just saying it could hurt just the thing you are trying to get integrated faster!
There is a reason Moritz also raised the concerns!
You know how standards become standard? By there being something to build off of, and people using that. By your logic, Mike never should have implemented any method to embed DV into MKV, and we STILL wouldn't have the Matroska Mafia talking about ANY method to fix this problem that we've had for YEARS. It's people like you who have a corporate way of thinking that everything must go through 25 checks and balances before anything is done and zero progress is made. This is all open source stuff. Therefore it should be in the open. If people are smart enough to even use any of the tools required to get these initial looks at this stuff, they are smart enough to know that it's likely to change in the future.
Stop talking nonsense. I pushed just as hard for support ( i requested the change for exoplayer, i asked for the addition in the standard - i even refered yusesope, Mike and mortiz to give it a go way back in this thread, as exoplayer requested is to make a pull request (which i think kickstarted his development).

It was done because it was expected that the standard was in place - now it is up for discussion again.

I can program myself, but it would be way way faster for a guy who worked with video programming already! Ill have to investigate a lot first, but will be doing so.

Your way of thinking leads to 100 different implementations and would leave players not able to do the same stuff as they all have their own preference.

Result?
Your mkv could work in 1 player and fail in 3 others.

Im pretty sure we all want it working everywhere.

yusesope
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:34 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by yusesope » Sun May 24, 2020 10:22 pm

olevelo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:08 pm
yusesope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:04 pm
olevelo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:39 pm
Is the code for this version of Exoplayer available somewhere?
https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer
I meant with your mods so it works with MKVs with DV haha!
Do you want me dead :lol: :lol: :lol: ?
For tonight I finished sharing :)

But I will give you one last gift for your future project!
I started taking a look at the code that you find here:
https://developer.amazon.com/it/docs/fi ... witch.html

I found it really interesting!
The standard version of Exoplayer will do just fine ;)


PS:
All of my links are down for the moment!
Last edited by yusesope on Sun May 24, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

siriusbox
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:07 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by siriusbox » Sun May 24, 2020 10:23 pm

Tested the apk with Doctor Sleep and it works! What a feeling after so much time waiting for it! Atmos track and PGS subtitles also works, but looks like there is some memory leak or something because video starts to shutter after a while and any attempt of move the progress bar or fast forward ends with a reproduction failed message. Dont know if maybe is a problem related it’s not integrared with the full ”player” (Plex, Emby, whatever) maybe they make something on the file access part.

I made the test using FX Explorer to open the file using SMB on ethernet gigabit.

We can’t fully trust on ExoPlayer running in Shield, I read they are having, at least Plex are having, problems with memory leaks while playing. In fact, as a recent example, if you try to play a backup of Akira in 4K, which has a huge bitrate (98 Mbits or similar) and it shutters in Plex while it doesnt in Kodi.

Nvidia Shield is a mines field

steffenmanden
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:49 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by steffenmanden » Sun May 24, 2020 10:28 pm

yusesope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:03 pm
steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:47 pm
But leave it be, wont argue! Just highlighting the request from various people - including reviewers for the mkv standard.
Thank you for the advice ...
It wasn't my intention to bother you ...
You are not bothering me - but as a fellow programmer i just dont get this kind of thinking :-) especially when people like Moritz from Mkvtoolnix even writes it to us directly here.

And as written its not about doing nothing, its about just keeping it internal till the standard is in place - meanwhile a group can still develop, test and review on the side :-)
People only want it now because it was thrown in their face! Their reaction would be the same in a week :-)

But you do good work, so no worries i know you only have good intentions and i will still help (and soon more in a practical programming way as well) my comments and changes will just come in private untill they all pushed the changes to the standard :-)

P.s. get it in github - else ill be doing it myself for my changes! Just looks better if i fork from yours and make pull requests :-)

olevelo
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:59 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by olevelo » Sun May 24, 2020 10:34 pm

steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:14 pm
olevelo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:08 pm
yusesope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:04 pm

https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer
I meant with your mods so it works with MKVs with DV haha!
Yusesope, this proves my point :-) have a good night!
How does this prove your point? I just said that I was potentially interested in looking at how to fix the frame rate matching problem.

olevelo
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:59 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by olevelo » Sun May 24, 2020 10:40 pm

yusesope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:22 pm
olevelo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:08 pm
yusesope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:04 pm

https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer
I meant with your mods so it works with MKVs with DV haha!
Do you want me dead :lol: :lol: :lol: ?
For tonight I finished sharing :)

But I will give you one last gift for your future project!
I started taking a look at the code that you find here:
https://developer.amazon.com/it/docs/fi ... witch.html

I found it really interesting!
The standard version of Exoplayer will do just fine ;)


PS:
All of my links are down for the moment!
Why are you listening to this fool and taking your work down? Once again, anyone smart enough to use this is smart enough to know things will likely change.

Changing the standard version of exoplayer does me zero good, as I can't play my existing rips of mkv's with it, so I have no reason to try to investigate this change without already having the foundation of what you've done. Yeah, I could try to fix the refresh rate issue, submit a pull request and hope they merge it in, but now I'm still stuck with two versions which neither one fully does what I want it to do. (And I'm not trying to blast you for not sharing your code as it's your right to do whatever you want, just saying where my time is most useful.)

Post Reply