chrisandy

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by chrisandy »

olevelo wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:29 am
chrisandy wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:29 pm
Hi everyone,

I've spent a considerable amount of time going through this and other posts in this forum but am still running into some issues, so hoping someone can help me out.

I have a copy of a film that has the BDMV, CERTIFICATE and MAKEMKV folder.

The playlist with the Dolby Vision file is hidden, but I was able to locate it.

I have tried the following:

1. Using MakeMKV to create a .mkv file from the .index file within the BDMV folder
2. Using MakeMKV to create a .mkv file from the .mlps 'hidden' playlist file
3. Creating a .ts from both of the above, in addition to creating a .ts purely from the mlps.

In all of these instances, I am left with a HDR10 only file with no indication of Dolby Vision within Mediainfo.

Annotation 2020-05-28 235529.png

I followed someone's suggestion on here and downloaded a more specific version of TSmux (4.06), and used that on the originally created .mkv file. This did show Dolby Vision in Mediainfo:

Annotation 2020-05-28 235330.png

However, this:

1) Only played in HDR10 via ATV 4K Plex
2) Would not open the file when connecting to the LG directly via USB
3) Would not open the file when trying to play via LG Plex app

I then used the specific version of TSmux to create a .ts of the specific playlist .mpls file, with the following results in Mediainfo:

Annotation 2020-05-29 092037.png

However, this .ts file is also not recognized via USB and it only plays in HDR10 on my OLED via the Plex app.

I've spent a lot of time on this so any help would be very appreciated

:)
I don't think the LG Plex app can play DV ts files. Only mp4. In fact I haven't seen any Plex app other than on the Shield reported to play the ts files (I could very well have missed it though).

I have an LG C8, and a Shield with the Plex Server and a few DV ts files that I have played fine through the Shield's Plex app (with DV). I just tried watching through the LG Plex app and every one that I tried only triggered HDR10. These are all 04.06. So interesting that those wouldn't even play on your LG. I had previously tried profile 8 (I think...whatever version of tsmuxer I was using) and with those I would get audio but no video, as I recall.

Bottom line, currently for mkv/ts you need a Shield.
Thanks for clarifying, I appreciate it.

And just to clarify - it is a limitation of .mp4 that it can only carry AAC with DV, correct? So I basically have to choose between HDR10 + Atmos (or whatever Dolby variant) or DV + AAC?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

chrisandy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:31 am

And just to clarify - it is a limitation of .mp4 that it can only carry AAC with DV, correct? So I basically have to choose between HDR10 + Atmos (or whatever Dolby variant) or DV + AAC?
For MP4s, yeah pretty much. That's why TS/M2TS is used for DV+Atmos remuxing.
chrisandy

Post by chrisandy »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:28 am
That helps clarify - what is the best way to create a TS/M2TS that will carry both signals? Would DVDFab be able to do that working off of the original BDMV?
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

chrisandy wrote:
olevelo wrote:
chrisandy wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:29 pm
Hi everyone,

I've spent a considerable amount of time going through this and other posts in this forum but am still running into some issues, so hoping someone can help me out.

I have a copy of a film that has the BDMV, CERTIFICATE and MAKEMKV folder.

The playlist with the Dolby Vision file is hidden, but I was able to locate it.

I have tried the following:

1. Using MakeMKV to create a .mkv file from the .index file within the BDMV folder
2. Using MakeMKV to create a .mkv file from the .mlps 'hidden' playlist file
3. Creating a .ts from both of the above, in addition to creating a .ts purely from the mlps.

In all of these instances, I am left with a HDR10 only file with no indication of Dolby Vision within Mediainfo.

Annotation 2020-05-28 235529.png

I followed someone's suggestion on here and downloaded a more specific version of TSmux (4.06), and used that on the originally created .mkv file. This did show Dolby Vision in Mediainfo:

Annotation 2020-05-28 235330.png

However, this:

1) Only played in HDR10 via ATV 4K Plex
2) Would not open the file when connecting to the LG directly via USB
3) Would not open the file when trying to play via LG Plex app

I then used the specific version of TSmux to create a .ts of the specific playlist .mpls file, with the following results in Mediainfo:

Annotation 2020-05-29 092037.png

However, this .ts file is also not recognized via USB and it only plays in HDR10 on my OLED via the Plex app.

I've spent a lot of time on this so any help would be very appreciated

:)
I don't think the LG Plex app can play DV ts files. Only mp4. In fact I haven't seen any Plex app other than on the Shield reported to play the ts files (I could very well have missed it though).

I have an LG C8, and a Shield with the Plex Server and a few DV ts files that I have played fine through the Shield's Plex app (with DV). I just tried watching through the LG Plex app and every one that I tried only triggered HDR10. These are all 04.06. So interesting that those wouldn't even play on your LG. I had previously tried profile 8 (I think...whatever version of tsmuxer I was using) and with those I would get audio but no video, as I recall.

Hi, you can use ac3, DTS or DTS-HD in mp4.
As for TS on LG Plex app I’m pretty sure M2TS works with shield (2015,2017 also) as server, that’s what I mux all mine too (haven’t been to my server address for 9 weeks though because of lock down so can’t 100% confirm).
chrisandy

Post by chrisandy »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:09 am
chrisandy wrote:
olevelo wrote:

Hi, you can use ac3, DTS or DTS-HD in mp4.
As for TS on LG Plex app I’m pretty sure M2TS works with shield (2015,2017 also) as server, that’s what I mux all mine too (haven’t been to my server address for 9 weeks though because of lock down so can’t 100% confirm).
Thanks.

So just to reiterate:

The only way to get both Dolby Vision AND Atmos is via TS/M2TS however the only source capable of playing it is the Shield.

Regarding getting DTS/DTS-HD audio for MP4, what's the best way to go about doing that?
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

chrisandy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:41 am
shawnc22 wrote:
That helps clarify - what is the best way to create a TS/M2TS that will carry both signals? Would DVDFab be able to do that working off of the original BDMV?
Makemkv, then use eac3to to extract the thd+a 3, then tsmuxer to convert to ts and add the audio back in. There's a post here somewhere with the exact command lines for eac3to.

Or just wait a couple weeks and we should have direct mkv support in at least exoplayer thanks to yusecope, once the new mkv standard is finalized and makemkv can get updated. (although still probably only good for shield)
chrisandy

Post by chrisandy »

olevelo wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:36 pm
chrisandy wrote:
shawnc22 wrote:
Makemkv, then use eac3to to extract the thd+a 3, then tsmuxer to convert to ts and add the audio back in. There's a post here somewhere with the exact command lines for eac3to.

Or just wait a couple weeks and we should have direct mkv support in at least exoplayer thanks to yusecope, once the new mkv standard is finalized and makemkv can get updated. (although still probably only good for shield)
Does Makemkv retain the Dolby Vision track?
Redhawk2000

Post by Redhawk2000 »

chrisandy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:49 pm
olevelo wrote:
chrisandy wrote:

Yes. But the mkv standard finalization is going to change the way that makemkv, once updated, stores the DV info. In other words, current rips that have DV would have to be redone to be be compatible with the upcoming standard.
chrisandy

Post by chrisandy »

Redhawk2000 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:17 pm
chrisandy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:49 pm
olevelo wrote:

Yes. But the mkv standard finalization is going to change the way that makemkv, once updated, stores the DV info. In other words, current rips that have DV would have to be redone to be be compatible with the upcoming standard.
Thanks - and I'm assuming this thread will get updated once that standard is released.

Just want to make sure I accurately summarize..

In order to get both Dolby Vision and Atmos via Plex you need

1)Nvidia Shield

2) The file:
a) MakeMKV of the BDMV
b) Extract Atmos audio via ea3to
c) Combine .mkv and extracted audio via TSmuxer to create a .ts
d) Use Plex via Shield to play .ts which will have both Dolby Vision + Atmos

Is this correct?

Also, is there no non-Shield way to get both? I'm assuming LG via USB wouldn't work?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

chrisandy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:29 pm
Thanks - and I'm assuming this thread will get updated once that standard is released.
Yep.
chrisandy wrote:
Just want to make sure I accurately summarize..

In order to get both Dolby Vision and Atmos via Plex you need

1)Nvidia Shield

2) The file:
a) MakeMKV of the BDMV
b) Extract Atmos audio via ea3to
c) Combine .mkv and extracted audio via TSmuxer to create a .ts
d) Use Plex via Shield to play .ts which will have both Dolby Vision + Atmos

Is this correct?
Yep. But once the standard is finalized Plex should (hopefully) be one of the first to update their player, in which case you would just do a) then d) but it will be an mkv as ts will no longer be needed.
chrisandy wrote:
Also, is there no non-Shield way to get both? I'm assuming LG via USB wouldn't work?
Yep. LG can't passthrough lossless thd-atmos. An x700 or ATV 4K can work though. And probably the Ugoos AM6 Plus, too.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Grencola wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:24 pm
Yep. LG can't passthrough lossless thd-atmos. An x700 or ATV 4K can work though. And probably the Ugoos AM6 Plus, too.
The current gen ATV 4K (fingers crossed for next gen) is not going to work with that method. You'd have to use yusecope's tool to a create single layer (BL+RPU) file instead. Atmos will also be converted to PCM 7.1 in Infuse and not bitstreamed.
chrisandy

Post by chrisandy »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:45 pm
Grencola wrote:
The current gen ATV 4K (fingers crossed for next gen) is not going to work with that method. You'd have to use yusecope's tool to a create single layer (BL+RPU) file instead. Atmos will also be converted to PCM 7.1 in Infuse and not bitstreamed.
Thanks Shawn - is there an easily available link to yuescope's tool? I've seen mentions of it in previous pages. Is it as simple as using that tool to generate the resulting file? And would I still be able to use Plex via the current gen ATV 4K or would I need to use Infuse instead?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

chrisandy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:05 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Grencola wrote:
Thanks Shawn - is there an easily available link to yuescope's tool? I've seen mentions of it in previous pages. Is it as simple as using that tool to generate the resulting file? And would I still be able to use Plex via the current gen ATV 4K or would I need to use Infuse instead?
https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 413#p85413

Use the tool with -mode 2, and you will get a BL+RPU file after feeding in the extracted BL and EL tracks. There is a version of tsmuxer you can use to then get a profile 5 (the only profile that ATV supports) video, but I'm not sure which exact version it is. Maybe @Angryunibrow can help you with that as he's been creating a lot of remuxes for the ATV. You will also have to use Infuse as I don't believe Plex supports the Atmos -> PCM 7.1 conversion. Note that when you go through this method with titles that have a full enhancement layer, you are discarding that entire layer and the resulting DV video might not be fully accurate.
chrisandy

Post by chrisandy »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:38 am
chrisandy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:05 pm
shawnc22 wrote:

https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 413#p85413

Use the tool with -mode 2, and you will get a BL+RPU file after feeding in the extracted BL and EL tracks. There is a version of tsmuxer you can use to then get a profile 5 (the only profile that ATV supports) video, but I'm not sure which exact version it is. Maybe @Angryunibrow can help you with that as he's been creating a lot of remuxes for the ATV. You will also have to use Infuse as I don't believe Plex supports the Atmos -> PCM 7.1 conversion. Note that when you go through this method with titles that have a full enhancement layer, you are discarding that entire layer and the resulting DV video might not be fully accurate.
Amazing. Many thanks. Hopefully last dumb question but how do I extract the BL and EL tracks?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

chrisandy wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:52 am
Amazing. Many thanks. Hopefully last dumb question but how do I extract the BL and EL tracks?
eac3to, ffmpeg, or tsmuxer will help you extract out the video tracks.