Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by SamuriHL »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:05 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:24 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:03 pm
Brilliant! Can't wait to see the resulting player work to support it. And of course we need a new makemkv build as well. But this is exciting!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
We need the Shield update for the color issue as well...
you guys still didn't receive the BETA update?
The test image never ended up getting pushed to me because another tester before me had some mixed results, so they're going back to do more internal work before proceeding any further.
I'm following up on this post from like 100 years ago. :D I take it the test build never materialized? I'm being told on AVS Forum that the fix for Dolby Vision color issues has not been confirmed as being part of the beta build. So that conflicts with what you're saying here.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:47 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:05 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:24 pm

We need the Shield update for the color issue as well...
you guys still didn't receive the BETA update?
The test image never ended up getting pushed to me because another tester before me had some mixed results, so they're going back to do more internal work before proceeding any further.
I'm following up on this post from like 100 years ago. :D I take it the test build never materialized? I'm being told on AVS Forum that the fix for Dolby Vision color issues has not been confirmed as being part of the beta build. So that conflicts with what you're saying here.
Right, the upcoming announced hotfix image will not include the DV fix. This is a public beta that anyone can sign up for over on the nvidia forums that includes some wifi and audio drop issues. The test image I was referring to was one that I'm guessing was offered to a few people through DMs by a dev that addressed only a specific issue (the DV colors in this case). It never made it onto my device as another tester already reported some inadequate results, so they're going back to continue working on it and hopefully it'll make it into the next public beta.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

shawnc22 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:16 pm

Right, the upcoming announced hotfix image will not include the DV fix. This is a public beta that anyone can sign up for over on the nvidia forums that includes some wifi and audio drop issues. The test image I was referring to was one that I'm guessing was offered to a few people through DMs by a dev that addressed only a specific issue (the DV colors in this case). It never made it onto my device as another tester already reported some inadequate results, so they're going back to continue working on it and hopefully it'll make it into the next public beta.
Great....so next year some time if we're lucky. sigh. :)
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:47 pm
shawnc22 wrote:

yeah not having access to their testing equipment has really delayed things :?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Mister Murphy seems to have joined the team. Everybody assumed that this will be solved in just a couple of days. Now we are waiting impatiently...
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Sam,

remember?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

shawnc22 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:35 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:47 pm
shawnc22 wrote:

yeah not having access to their testing equipment has really delayed things :?
Yea, and they weren't fast to begin with.
Fearless Leader

Post by Fearless Leader »

I just recently ripped Jaws 4K using 1.15.1. The Jaws 4K disc has HDR10+ and DV. However, how can I verify that MakeMKV did in fact add the DV data to the resulting .mkv file?

Here is what I've done.

1)I extracted ONLY the video (no audio) into an mkv file and opened it with MediaInfo (20.03).
The first video steam lists only HDR10+, no mention of DV. I expect this since MediaInfo likely doesn't know where to look for the DV data in the mkv file.
2) I put the video only .mkv file into tsmuxer and mux'd to an m2ts file. I changed no options from the default.
3) I opened the resulting m2ts file with MediaInfo and it now shows HDR10/HDR10+ in the first video stream list. I'm thinking this difference has more to do with the app displaying differently based on the container. There is no mention of DV.

Maybe there is a different MediaInfo app that everyone is using?

But at the moment, I'm seeing no evidence that the DV data is there for this particular disc that has both HDR10+ and DV.
As much as I want to trust, I need to be able to verify.

How may I verify that the DV data is there?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Are you using the version of tsmuxer (04.06 fix) that most people around here have been using? It's been linked extensively throughout the two threads if not.
siriusbox

Post by siriusbox »

Well, it's taking a while the new version of Make MKV...
niteflyr

Post by niteflyr »

Fearless Leader wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:36 am
I just recently ripped Jaws 4K using 1.15.1. The Jaws 4K disc has HDR10+ and DV. However, how can I verify that MakeMKV did in fact add the DV data to the resulting .mkv file?

Here is what I've done.

1)I extracted ONLY the video (no audio) into an mkv file and opened it with MediaInfo (20.03).
The first video steam lists only HDR10+, no mention of DV. I expect this since MediaInfo likely doesn't know where to look for the DV data in the mkv file.
2) I put the video only .mkv file into tsmuxer and mux'd to an m2ts file. I changed no options from the default.
3) I opened the resulting m2ts file with MediaInfo and it now shows HDR10/HDR10+ in the first video stream list. I'm thinking this difference has more to do with the app displaying differently based on the container. There is no mention of DV.

Maybe there is a different MediaInfo app that everyone is using?

But at the moment, I'm seeing no evidence that the DV data is there for this particular disc that has both HDR10+ and DV.
As much as I want to trust, I need to be able to verify.

How may I verify that the DV data is there?
I haven't found anyway to verify with MediaInfo either, but it's there. I have demuxed the video HEVC from several of my DV titles from the 1.15.1 MKV's with tsmuxer and then ran the resulting HEVC thru Yusesope's .04 Alpha tool to demux the BL.hevc and EL_RPU.hevc layers and then remuxed them with the tool into a single layer BL_EL_RPU.hevc. Then into 05.06 fix tsmuxer along with audio for a DV profile 5 m2ts to play on Apple TV via Infuse. MediaInfo does indeed show DV from the resulting file. I don't have Jaws yet, but others worked.
kingdariocueto

Post by kingdariocueto »

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I am ripping A Star is Born from disc to mkv via MakeMKV. In MakeMKV I have the Atmos track selected as well as the DD option in that track's sub-menu selected. I am ripping from mpls, not from m2ts. When I attempt to use eac3to (confirmed v3.34) I run this on command line and get:
> .\eac3to.exe 'Z:\Plex Library\Movies\Star Is Born, A (2018).mkv' 'Z:\Plex Library\Movies\Star Is Born, A (2018).thd+ac3'
MKV, 1 video track, 2 audio tracks, 1 subtitle track, 2:15:45, 24p /1.001
1: h265/HEVC, English, 2160p24 /1.001 (16:9), 10 bits
2: TrueHD (Atmos), English, 7.1 channels, 48kHz
"Surround 7.1"
3: AC3 EX, English, 5.1 channels, 448kbps, 48kHz, dialnorm: -27dB
"Surround 5.1"
4: Subtitle (PGS), English
The source file doesn't contain any TrueHD/AC3 tracks.

Does this just not work on some titles? Or do I need to rip from m2ts? Or do I have to have the other DD English option checked (i.e. the one on its own line, not the one in the TrueHD track's submenu)?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

kingdariocueto wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:07 am
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I am ripping A Star is Born from disc to mkv via MakeMKV. In MakeMKV I have the Atmos track selected as well as the DD option in that track's sub-menu selected. I am ripping from mpls, not from m2ts. When I attempt to use eac3to (confirmed v3.34) I run this on command line and get:
> .\eac3to.exe 'Z:\Plex Library\Movies\Star Is Born, A (2018).mkv' 'Z:\Plex Library\Movies\Star Is Born, A (2018).thd+ac3'
MKV, 1 video track, 2 audio tracks, 1 subtitle track, 2:15:45, 24p /1.001
1: h265/HEVC, English, 2160p24 /1.001 (16:9), 10 bits
2: TrueHD (Atmos), English, 7.1 channels, 48kHz
"Surround 7.1"
3: AC3 EX, English, 5.1 channels, 448kbps, 48kHz, dialnorm: -27dB
"Surround 5.1"
4: Subtitle (PGS), English
The source file doesn't contain any TrueHD/AC3 tracks.

Does this just not work on some titles? Or do I need to rip from m2ts? Or do I have to have the other DD English option checked (i.e. the one on its own line, not the one in the TrueHD track's submenu)?
You're forgetting to select the audio track in the eac3to command:

.\eac3to.exe 'Z:\Plex Library\Movies\Star Is Born, A (2018).mkv' 2:'Z:\Plex Library\Movies\Star Is Born, A (2018).thd+ac3'
kingdariocueto

Post by kingdariocueto »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:46 pm
You're forgetting to select the audio track in the eac3to command:

.\eac3to.exe 'Z:\Plex Library\Movies\Star Is Born, A (2018).mkv' 2:'Z:\Plex Library\Movies\Star Is Born, A (2018).thd+ac3'
So in other words... RTFM! Don't know why I couldn't find that yesterday, these instructions https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to/Ho ... s_as_input are fairly clear. (btw, there needs to be a space after the track selection). Thank you so so much, got it working!
DaveBinM

Post by DaveBinM »

It's probably worth mentioning that Plex is unlikely to support the current DV in MKV format that's used in 1.15.1, and will most likely only support ones that follow the official specification from MKV, which will hopefully be supported in a newer version of MakeMKV. I wouldn't be surprised if Kodi/Emby/Jellyfin/etc. had a similar situation