Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
manuelrn

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by manuelrn »

mike admin wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:51 pm
1.15.2 Implements the latest method for storing DV metadata (per new spec) and has a fix for invalid layer id (spotted by yusesope). In theory, this should be a "final working" version. Let's see if other tools will pick it up...
Thanks mike, fantastic news!

Could you explain more details about the meaning of what I have marked in bold?

cipher wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:33 am
mike admin wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:51 pm
1.15.2 Implements the latest method for storing DV metadata (per new spec) and has a fix for invalid layer id (spotted by yusesope). In theory, this should be a "final working" version. Let's see if other tools will pick it up...
Great work and thanks for the quick turnaround!

Now we're just waiting for the others like Plex, MediaInfo, MKVToolnix.
In theory, MediaInfo already added support for it the same day the new matroska specification was approved:
https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfo/ChangeLog
Peter Quill

Post by Peter Quill »

Hi.
Taking advantage of the synchronization question ...
Is it possible to prevent automatic BD Remux synchronizations made in MakeMKV? Because I think, there is no need for synchronization in many cases, and it ends up changing the audio, with delays.
Balthazar2k4

Post by Balthazar2k4 »

manuelrn wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:04 pm
In theory, MediaInfo already added support for it the same day the new matroska specification was approved:
I am not sure 'Dolby Vision v2 Detection' is meant to imply that. I just tested 1.15.2 with Spartacus and I am not seeing DV listed in MediaInfo 20.03.

Not to mention the MKV Dolby Vision spec wasn't completed until June and the last version of MediaInfo was April.
jayper

Post by jayper »

Redhawk2000 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:26 pm
I've previously made folder rips of all my 4K discs for the expected update that has just come. I just finished re-ripping all of them from the folder backups and I happened to notice that the following note (or similar) is displayed for each one once completed.

"AV synchronization issues were found in file 'NAME OF MOVIE.mkv' (title #3)"

I don't recall it saying this in the past, but maybe it did. Not sure if this is something to just ignore or if it could be an issue of ripping from older backups.
These warnings have been there for quite a while and they happen in several cases.

- When there are overlapping frames and audio needs to be dropped from a frame to keep the audio and video in sync. This is the result of how the disc was authored and Blu-Ray players also do this. It is normal. These types of warnings will provide more information, like so:

AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:00:40.706 with duration of 29.333ms : encountered overlapping frame, audio skew is +29.333ms
AV sync issue in stream 2 at 0:00:40.706 with duration of 0.833ms : 1 frame(s) dropped to reduce audio skew to +0ms

- This warning is also found when you select a track to rip and it ends up being empty. I've noticed that this almost always happens if you opt to attempt to rip any forced subtitles as a separate track and there are no forced subtitles available to rip on the associated track. Nothing to worry about here, Mike chimed in on the issue in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21079
Redhawk2000

Post by Redhawk2000 »

jayper wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:37 pm
- This warning is also found when you select a track to rip and it ends up being empty. I've noticed that this almost always happens if you opt to attempt to rip any forced subtitles as a separate track and there are no forced subtitles available to rip on the associated track. Nothing to worry about here, Mike chimed in on the issue in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21079
Thanks. It was probably the forced subtitles. I always leave those checked so they are ripped if needed.
manuelrn

Post by manuelrn »

Balthazar2k4 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:49 pm
manuelrn wrote:
I am not sure 'Dolby Vision v2 Detection' is meant to imply that. I just tested 1.15.2 with Spartacus and I am not seeing DV listed in MediaInfo 20.03.

Not to mention the MKV Dolby Vision spec wasn't completed until June and the last version of MediaInfo was April.
You're right.

The developer of MediaInfo is the same person who merged the new matroska specification.

And in a comment he wrote, I understood that he had already updated the MediaInfo.
But I have read it again and I think it meant that he already had the MediaInfo updated but he did not want to publish it still waiting to be able to check if it worked well with a future version of MakeMKV.

I mean this comment:
https://github.com/cellar-wg/matroska-s ... -645813869
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

nekno wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:07 am
I feel like this is a stupid question, so I tried searching first, but...

Is there (will there be?) any way to rip just the DV metadata from a disc and apply it to an existing MKV, to avoid a lot of re-ripping?
Potentially when mkvtoolsnix is updated to support the new standard, you might be able to if your MKV was made with v1.15.1 and if mkvtoolsnix is able to read the now deprecated mkv headers that Mike initially used or if it lets you manually select the DV profiles. May just be easier to rerip
Balthazar2k4

Post by Balthazar2k4 »

manuelrn wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:48 pm
Balthazar2k4 wrote:
manuelrn wrote:

You're right.

The developer of MediaInfo is the same person who merged the new matroska specification.

And in a comment he wrote, I understood that he had already updated the MediaInfo.
But I have read it again and I think it meant that he already had the MediaInfo updated but he did not want to publish it still waiting to be able to check if it worked well with a future version of MakeMKV.

I mean this comment:
Sounds like Jerome & Co were waiting on Mike to update MakeMKV to test the changes. Hopefully they will get MediaInfo updated soon.
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

Balthazar2k4 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:12 pm
manuelrn wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:48 pm
Balthazar2k4 wrote:

You're right.

I mean this comment:
Sounds like Jerome & Co were waiting on Mike to update MakeMKV to test the changes. Hopefully they will get MediaInfo updated soon.
People are waiting on test data - and MakeMKV was the best way to get it :)

But mike needs vacation as well :D
userr

Post by userr »

A question, i have a sony oled, which for reasons unknown does not have "TV-led" capabilities, so it needs the source to do the processing of dolby vision with enhancement layer.

The 2019 Shield would be such a device that does the processing or does it count on the tv to do it? Does it send low latency signal, player-led signal?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

userr wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:16 pm
A question, i have a sony oled, which for reasons unknown does not have "TV-led" capabilities, so it needs the source to do the processing of dolby vision with enhancement layer.

The 2019 Shield would be such a device that does the processing or does it count on the tv to do it? Does it send low latency signal, player-led signal?
The Shield can do both, so if you TV requires LLDV, the Shield will be able to send it as well.
userr

Post by userr »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:12 pm
userr wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:16 pm

The Shield can do both, so if you TV requires LLDV, the Shield will be able to send it as well.
ooooooh is that what LLDV stands for, thank you
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

Hello beautiful people!
Just a small update: I revised my code (Exoplayer) after the release of version 1.15.2.
@shawnc22 has just tested (on the new Shield) an apk that i have prepared.
The mkv test file is played correctly and Dolby Vision is successfully triggered.

In the next few days I will release a test version of my apk here on the forum.
At the same time I will try to understand how the h e l l GitHub works in order to be able to review the code together with @shawnc22 and @steffenmanden and present the finished work to the Exoplayer team.
jayper

Post by jayper »

Awesome news! Thanks for all the hard work.
ragico

Post by ragico »

yusesope wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:16 pm
Hello beautiful people!
Just a small update: I revised my code (Exoplayer) after the release of version 1.15.2.
@shawnc22 has just tested (on the new Shield) an apk that i have prepared.
The mkv test file is played correctly and Dolby Vision is successfully triggered.

In the next few days I will release a test version of my apk here on the forum.
At the same time I will try to understand how the h e l l GitHub works in order to be able to review the code together with @shawnc22 and @steffenmanden and present the finished work to the Exoplayer team.
Always good news from you, master