Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
shawnc22

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by shawnc22 »

cipher wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:48 am
That is great news, yusesope!

For the Exoplayer APK, does this replace the version used by Plex on the Shield 2019?
No this is a separate app that you have to sideload and then configured to be used with Kodi as an external player.
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

cipher wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:48 am
yusesope wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:16 pm
Hello beautiful people!
Just a small update: I revised my code (Exoplayer) after the release of version 1.15.2.
@shawnc22 has just tested (on the new Shield) an apk that i have prepared.
The mkv test file is played correctly and Dolby Vision is successfully triggered.

In the next few days I will release a test version of my apk here on the forum.
At the same time I will try to understand how the h e l l GitHub works in order to be able to review the code together with @shawnc22 and @steffenmanden and present the finished work to the Exoplayer team.
That is great news, yusesope!

For the Exoplayer APK, does this replace the version used by Plex on the Shield 2019?
Plex doesnt use Exoplayer in a huge way, its more for media playback support. So they would have to make their own implementation. However the implementation should be fairly simple as it is pretty much just reading data and them throwing the values to the Dolby Vision playback, which they already have in.
Dinst

Post by Dinst »

Are there any plans to improve the audio support within MakeMKV for obfuscated discs? I'm currently waiting for the MKVToolNix and Plex update to make my Dolby Vision backup of Apocalypse Now Theatrical. MakeMKV produces noticeable breaks in the TrueHD and when I try and run the TrueHD demuxed by DGDemux through TSMuxer it detects overlapping frames and removes frames resulting in the same breaks in the audio. The DGDemux TrueHD is fine when muxed with MKVToolNix but currently that results no Dolby Vision.

I will be using MakeMKV for non obfuscated backups when everything is updated but with the current status of obfuscated audio in MakeMKV the TrueHD of most obfuscated discs will have to be demuxed with DGDemux or the MLP tool from GitHub first then remuxed with MKVToolNix.
baker99

Post by baker99 »

yusesope wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:16 pm
Hello beautiful people!
Just a small update: I revised my code (Exoplayer) after the release of version 1.15.2.
@shawnc22 has just tested (on the new Shield) an apk that i have prepared.
The mkv test file is played correctly and Dolby Vision is successfully triggered.

In the next few days I will release a test version of my apk here on the forum.
At the same time I will try to understand how the h e l l GitHub works in order to be able to review the code together with @shawnc22 and @steffenmanden and present the finished work to the Exoplayer team.
Amazing news, thank you :)
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Hi, in any of this has there also been any advancement in thd+ac3 core support in MKV?
userr

Post by userr »

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:11 am
SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:51 am
I have a SHIELD question. When I made all my TS files I made them profile 4. Now MakeMKV is ripping them to profile 7. Is the SHIELD going to be able to play those?

EDIT:

What I mean is this....

ts: Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU
mkv: Codec: MpegH HEVC Main10@L5.1 (dvhe.07.06 BL+EL+RPU FEL)
Yusecope has mentioned in the past that he thinks when the Shield decoder encounters an unsupported profile (7 in this case), it will look at the raw video stream and fallback to a similar supported profile for playback. From testing with TS files in the past, the same video stream when stored as either 4 (supported), or 6/7 (unsupported) all work without issue and produces the same image. The mkv's I've tried so far from 1.15.1 and 1.15.2 all have worked despite being labeled as profile 7, so it does seem like profile labeling is not that important as far as the Shield is concerned. Now that @RESET_9999 has found a workaround for the red push issue, the last bit of mystery is to just determine what exact the Shield is doing when playing FEL titles :D
What do u mean they have worked? How do u know?
When ive tested mp4 or ts profile 7 play as hdr.
Ulyank

Post by Ulyank »

I have what I’m sure is a very newbie question from someone just discovering this wonderful tool.

When I open a DV disc, 2 of the titles will show as the main movie. Does it matter which I choose to use for the mkv?

Thank you.
Last edited by Ulyank on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That depends on the disk in question.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Twister20

Post by Twister20 »

XxSpiritvsxX wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:10 am
Twister20 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:36 pm
If I used DVDFab to backup a UHD disc to an .ISO, can I use MakeMKV 1.15.2 to make a MKV that now has full DV + TrueHD/Atmos content?
Yes you can.
Is there still an issue with playback of single layer vs. dual layer DV rips on players such as the Shield 2019? I realize players like Plex still need to be updated for the new MKV DV format spec, but once that happens, are there inherent limits of the Shield 2019 we can't get around?
Ulyank

Post by Ulyank »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:02 pm
That depends on the disk in question.
Could you elaborate a bit if you don’t mind
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

userr wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:49 pm
What do u mean they have worked? How do u know?
When ive tested mp4 or ts profile 7 play as hdr.
If you use mp4muxer to create a profile 7 file with a BL+EL+RPU track from yusecope's tool, it will work and trigger DV in Plex on the 2019 Shield. The mkv DV tests have been done with the modified exoplayer apk that yusecope is developing and will be releasing soon.
Twister20 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:14 pm
Is there still an issue with playback of single layer vs. dual layer DV rips on players such as the Shield 2019? I realize players like Plex still need to be updated for the new MKV DV format spec, but once that happens, are there inherent limits of the Shield 2019 we can't get around?
The issue with the Shield has always been not being able to play dual-track DV rips. Dual layer rips when combined into a single track works (whether or not FEL titles are being played correctly is still a question, however). None of the Shield's native capabilities are changing with the implementation of the new mkv standard, it's merely a more convenient container.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Ulyank wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:58 pm
Could you elaborate a bit if you don’t mind
Disney disks usually have 2 or 3 versions of the same feature, differing only in the language displayed in the title and credit screens. You could choose either, and the DV would probably apply equally.

Throw the mess Lionsgate makes of disks into the mix, who knows what would work?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
kcxserver

Post by kcxserver »

First of all, many thanks special to mike who made dv possible in mkv files. well done. I'm still a few days away and I'm looking forward to testing everything when I get back.

If PGS subtitles with Plex would be possible that would save a lot of time in muxing. If I understand and remember that correctly, the copy function for TrueHD including Atmos is still missing. (I didn't try DTS:X at all, since the tsmuxer was used anyway) Means I would currently need another tool to insert HD sound !? I've only been at MakeMKV since the last version, because I used the monkey and the mp4box before. At the very beginning of the topic dv i had to use the dolby muxer from github. A lot has changed since then and we are close to perfection. If dv, all hd sounds and natural subtitles are copied in one step, i would "reward" the work with a makemkv license. Thanks again! 8)
kcxserver

Post by kcxserver »

Thanks again to yusecope for your work and support on dv. I'm looking forward to testing your apk.
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

kcxserver wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:31 pm
First of all, many thanks special to mike who made dv possible in mkv files. well done. I'm still a few days away and I'm looking forward to testing everything when I get back.

If PGS subtitles with Plex would be possible that would save a lot of time in muxing. If I understand and remember that correctly, the copy function for TrueHD including Atmos is still missing. (I didn't try DTS:X at all, since the tsmuxer was used anyway) Means I would currently need another tool to insert HD sound !? I've only been at MakeMKV since the last version, because I used the monkey and the mp4box before. At the very beginning of the topic dv i had to use the dolby muxer from github. A lot has changed since then and we are close to perfection. If dv, all hd sounds and natural subtitles are copied in one step, i would "reward" the work with a makemkv license. Thanks again! 8)
As far as i am aware, Makemkv saves all hd audio just fine?