Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ragico

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by ragico »

@yusesope
I full agree with you. I was not complaining just keep you informed.
I think that you have started this DV revolution and everybody should say thanks to you master.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
jayper

Post by jayper »

ragico wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:03 pm
@yusesope
In some movies some audio tracks are greyed out even if they are part of the mkv.
Examples: Trolls World Tour (english) atmos 7.1 and ac3 5.1
The deer hunter all tracks (dts hd master stereo english and italian)
Jaws italian ac3 5.1
Midway dts hd master 5.1 (english and italian)
and so on... It seems like exoplayer at random recognize or not some audio tracks.
Just to let you know.
I briefly had this issue last night. I can't guarantee this will fix anything for you, but it did for me. Also, I am not sure which step in the process fixed things, so, some of this may be unnecessary.

- Double-click the "Home button" on the Shield remote. It looks like an O. This should allow you to force kill apps.
- Kill both Kodi and the ExoPlayer APK.
- Re-start Kodi.
- Try playing a DV file again.

If all else fails, you can also try power-cycling your shield and receiver.

I did both of the above last night and am no longer running into the issue.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

ragico wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:28 pm
pls clarify

This is my config (posted by @shawnc22):

<playercorefactory>
<players>
    <player name="ExoPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>com.google.android.exoplayer2.demo</filename>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<playcountminimumtime>120</playcountminimumtime>
    </player>
</players>
</playercorefactory>

is there something wrong? Most of the movies play audio correctly but others have some audio tracks greyed out which cannot be activated.
Nope, that's how it should be set. Which means exoplayer isn't used for audio. See what I bolded.
ragico

Post by ragico »

jayper wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:38 pm
ragico wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:03 pm
@yusesope
In some movies some audio tracks are greyed out even if they are part of the mkv.
Examples: Trolls World Tour (english) atmos 7.1 and ac3 5.1
The deer hunter all tracks (dts hd master stereo english and italian)
Jaws italian ac3 5.1
Midway dts hd master 5.1 (english and italian)
and so on... It seems like exoplayer at random recognize or not some audio tracks.
Just to let you know.
I briefly had this issue last night. I can't guarantee this will fix anything for you, but it did for me. Also, I am not sure which step in the process fixed things, so, some of this may be unnecessary.

- Double-click the "Home button" on the Shield remote. It looks like an O. This should allow you to force kill apps.
- Kill both Kodi and the ExoPlayer APK.
- Re-start Kodi.
- Try playing a DV file again.

If all else fails, you can also try power-cycling your shield and receiver.

I did both of the above last night and am no longer running into the issue.
Thank you. Tried and no success.
ragico

Post by ragico »

SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:49 pm
ragico wrote:
pls clarify

<playercorefactory>
<players>
    </player>
</players>
</playercorefactory>

is there something wrong? Most of the movies play audio correctly but others have some audio tracks greyed out which cannot be activated.
Nope, that's how it should be set. Which means exoplayer isn't used for audio. See what I bolded.
Sorry maybe I am stupid. What you mean with bolded words, Should I change audio from false to true?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

ragico wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:08 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:49 pm
ragico wrote:
pls clarify

<playercorefactory>
<players>
    </player>
</players>
</playercorefactory>

Sorry maybe I am stupid. What you mean with bolded words, Should I change audio from false to true?
No, I'm saying it's configured correctly which means the issue isn't like to be with exoplayer since it's not handling audio.
Liersi

Post by Liersi »

SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:14 pm
No, I'm saying it's configured correctly which means the issue isn't like to be with exoplayer since it's not handling audio.
I thought that meant it wasn't handling audio files, not that it wasn't handling the audio in a video file. If it isn't doing that, what is? Because I'm getting full Dolby audio, but only core DTS. Not a problem for the time being, but since you guys are talking audio...
Liersi

Post by Liersi »

By the way, if somebody else is using the refresh rate tool and running into issues with 24fps files, I figured that out. You have to trigger the refresh rate switch manually for it to work. Map refresh rate switch to a button on your remote in the app options, wait for the tool to detect the proper 24fps, then hit switch. Playback will likely fail, as it often does, but you can just hit play again and it'll be fine.

Turn on display refresh rate in the app options and you'll see what's going on. For some reason the refresh rate tool initially always detects 23.976 even if it's actually 24, and only a second later detects 24. You can see this well if you have display turned on. This causes the playback fail loop where it goes back and forth between the two refresh rates, auto switches and stalls the player. Switching it manually you can wait for it to detect the proper rate, switch, and then when it wrongly detects 23.976 after you hit play again it doesn't auto switch and stalls the player. Smooth sailing.

In other words: perfectly smooth playback of all kinds of DV MKV files.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Liersi wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:19 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:14 pm
I thought that meant it wasn't handling audio files, not that it wasn't handling the audio in a video file. If it isn't doing that, what is? Because I'm getting full Dolby audio, but only core DTS. Not a problem for the time being, but since you guys are talking audio...
Beats me. I don't really use Kodi so it's probable my understanding of how this whole thing works is wrong. But yes, I only get core DTS, as well. This is why we need them to add full support to something like Plex so we can have everything working flawlessly. For now, I'm happy just to be able to utilize what functionality we do have working. As yusesope said, it was a demo app to show what was possible. And we can see, what's possible is quite amazing.
kcxserver

Post by kcxserver »

I also did other tests. PGS subtitles work. As with you, DTS-HD is not recognized and only the core is played. But that is obviously really due to the exoplayer, since it does not recognize a DTS:X with HDR10 material either. With the refresh app you have to press play two to three times before it runs through. I think at the beginning, when the refresh app starts and once when the subtitles begin ...!? Despite the small problems it is very good 8)
kcxserver

Post by kcxserver »

Support additional passthrough audio formats #2147
https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer/issues/2147

Detect DTS-HD in Matroska #6225
https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer/issues/6225
Pmaw10

Post by Pmaw10 »

If most of the content you watch is 23.976 fps, you can tell the refresh rate app to launch exoplayer in that mode, rather than matching the content frame rate. This will result in a smooth start for the video without having to press play again once the refresh rate changes.
Liersi

Post by Liersi »

Pmaw10 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:32 pm
If most of the content you watch is 23.976 fps, you can tell the refresh rate app to launch exoplayer in that mode, rather than matching the content frame rate. This will result in a smooth start for the video without having to press play again once the refresh rate changes.
Good call. Sadly there's still no consensus outside of North America about 23.976 and 24. 24 is common in Europe and Asia even un UHD BD. Of the batch currently on my NAS, all the Carpenters from Studio Canal are 24, as is Ip Man 4 from Well Go in the US (but the master is from HK of course, where it's common). I'm just glad the Shield can do both. The ATV4k doesn't do 24, only 23.976.
baker99

Post by baker99 »

Not entirely on topic but Netflix have open sourced some tools, some dovi metadata is there which may be useful for analysis https://opencontent.netflix.com/
Epedemic

Post by Epedemic »

Shield owners might want to take a look at this: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... ta-signup/

Not allowed to say what it contains though ;) :D 8)

*edit*: Also please remember this is BETA, so sign up at own peril.
Last edited by Epedemic on Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.