Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Cannikin

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Cannikin »

argo44 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:35 pm
1. Do I need to re-rip anything? In my searching on this thread before I put my post up it seems a few months ago there was a new release of MakeMKV that was important to use for DV playback.
MakeMKV 1.15.1 supported DV, but in a proprietary way that the author invented. Once the MKV spec itself was updated for the DV flags, he released 1.15.2 which conformed to the spec. So if you want maximum forwards compatibility, make sure everything with DV is ripped with 1.15.2.
argo44

Post by argo44 »

Cannikin wrote:
argo44 wrote:
1. Do I need to re-rip anything? In my searching on this thread before I put my post up it seems a few months ago there was a new release of MakeMKV that was important to use for DV playback.
MakeMKV 1.15.1 supported DV, but in a proprietary way that the author invented. Once the MKV spec itself was updated for the DV flags, he released 1.15.2 which conformed to the spec. So if you want maximum forwards compatibility, make sure everything with DV is ripped with 1.15.2.
Thank you. Plex and Kodi only option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gottahavit

Post by gottahavit »

argo44 wrote:
gottahavit wrote:
argo44 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:56 pm
Hi folks,

I know I'm going to probably get blasted for this but I check around every couple months or so for updates on ripping 4K Discs with MakeMKV for playback with Dolby Vision retained on Nvidia Shield 2019 pro. I did some searching on this thread using the relevant terms but didn't come up with anything solid. Yes it's possible I didn't search the right thing and it exists in here but I'm wondering if there is a current walkthrough to get MKV rip to playback with DV on my Shield. I do not have time to read 88 pages of the thread unfortunately so If someone is kind enough to post that or link to it in this thread, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, understood. Thanks.

EDIT -
- Does not have to be MKV file as long as it works with the Shield. Thanks.
- Do not care about Dolby Atmos but do want to retain lossless audio
Yes it's easy, you have 2 options(I've tested both with my Shield Pro 2019)
1) Download ExoPlayer and playercorefactory.xml from this thread and install both in kodi. You can now play your rips with DV.
2) Download TSMuxer from this thread and remux the mkv to .ts and play with plex.

#1 takes a little time to setup, but then you can just use makemkv
#2 just means setting up plec, but you need to remux every mkv.

Search "ExoPlayer APK" this thread
Search "playercorefactory" this thread
Search "TSMuxer" this thread

it's all there, I bought my first drive 2 days ago and had the firmware updated, ripping working, and DV working in about 2 hours all thanks to the great people in this forum.
This is great info. Thank you for this. I will give this a go. Two follow up questions...

2. Can I use any other applications like Emby for instance instead of Kodi or Plex?

Thank you!

As the title says I think you need to rip with 1.15.1 or newer. So you will probably need to re-rip since MKV just added DV in the rip as I understand it.

I am not aware of any other app that rips 4k discs with DV to mkv. There used to be an app(De-UHD I think?) but honestly if you need to re-rip and MakeMKV is free why would you want to use anything else? I've used MakeMKV for blu-rays for years.
gottahavit

Post by gottahavit »

argo44 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:40 pm
Cannikin wrote:
argo44 wrote:

on the shield, Those are the only options I've seen work and tested. I use Kodi for everything so it's a perfect fit. I gave up on plex a couple years ago(UI is to combersome), but I did test the ts remux solution with it and it does work.
arrbee99

Post by arrbee99 »

argo44 wrote:
Cannikin wrote:
argo44 wrote:

Emby is also experimenting with the modified exo here - https://emby.media/community/index.php? ... /#comments
You can sideload the app in the first post to a Shield (or I imagine any Android TV device) and try there. Early days though.
gottahavit

Post by gottahavit »

Just tested this but basically anything that can launch exoplayer with the video path will work. So anything with an Open With like a file explorer. I just used the file explorer on my shield to kick of exoplayer with it's open with option.
chrisandy

Post by chrisandy »

Hey folks - looks like still no update from Plex, huh?

Is there a way to turn on subtitles using Yuescope's (very helpful) custom Exoplayer? I can't seem to figure it out.
argo44

Post by argo44 »

gottahavit wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:54 pm
argo44 wrote:
gottahavit wrote:
1) Download ExoPlayer and playercorefactory.xml from this thread and install both in kodi. You can now play your rips with DV.
2) Download TSMuxer from this thread and remux the mkv to .ts and play with plex.

it's all there, I bought my first drive 2 days ago and had the firmware updated, ripping working, and DV working in about 2 hours all thanks to the great people in this forum.
This is great info. Thank you for this. I will give this a go. Two follow up questions...

2. Can I use any other applications like Emby for instance instead of Kodi or Plex?

Thank you!

As the title says I think you need to rip with 1.15.1 or newer. So you will probably need to re-rip since MKV just added DV in the rip as I understand it.

I am not aware of any other app that rips 4k discs with DV to mkv. There used to be an app(De-UHD I think?) but honestly if you need to re-rip and MakeMKV is free why would you want to use anything else? I've used MakeMKV for blu-rays for years.
I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I use and own MakeMKV and that is solely what I use. I meant can I playback DV with anything other than Plex or Kodi. Thanks for your reply!
argo44

Post by argo44 »

arrbee99 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:58 pm
argo44 wrote:
Cannikin wrote:

Emby is also experimenting with the modified exo here - https://emby.media/community/index.php? ... /#comments
You can sideload the app in the first post to a Shield (or I imagine any Android TV device) and try there. Early days though.
Hey thanks for the reply. I am a huge fan of Emby and mostly only use that which is why I asked. I gave up on Plex long ago as well. Kodi is okay but always seemed a bit cumbersome to me. Thanks for the reply! Fingers crossed for some Emby love.
jesper1994

Post by jesper1994 »

chrisandy wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:28 am
Chuck_IV wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:25 am
chrisandy wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:08 am

I think your approach is a little redundant. I can't speak to steps 1 and 2, but once you have a .mkv you can use eac3to to extract the Atmos file then you would throw in the .mkv and the thd+ac3 (atmos) file into TSMuxer. This should produce a .ts with DV.

Can you share the Mediainfo of the .ts file you created?
I was just looking at the mediainfo of the MKV I ripped a couple days ago and I think this is the issue. for HDR format, I see "SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible". There is no mention of Dolby Vision.

Is there something I am missing in MakeMKV that isn't retaining the DV part(I am on 1.15.1)? Here are my two mediainfos...

MKV ripped via MakeMKV 1.15.1(only included video portion to keep it small)...

Code: Select all

General
Unique ID                                : 291245564851937371381727990531637701164 (0xDB1BDAFEE42A1A0F08758ABA50D0EA2C)
Complete name                            : P:\Movies\JOHN.WICK.3.PARABELLUM.4K.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 68.9 GiB
Duration                                 : 2 h 10 min
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 75.4 Mb/s
Movie name                               : John Wick 3: Parabellum
Encoded date                             : UTC 2020-06-29 02:48:11
Writing application                      : MakeMKV v1.15.1 win(x64-release)
Writing library                          : libmakemkv v1.15.1 (1.3.5/1.4.7) win(x64-release)

Video
ID                                       : 1
ID in the original source medium         : 4113 (0x1011)
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Bit rate                                 : 70.8 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.356
Stream size                              : 64.7 GiB (94%)
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : No
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0010 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 358 cd/m2
Original source medium                   : Blu-ray
Resulting MUXED file...

Code: Select all

General
ID                                       : 1 (0x1)
Complete name                            : P:\Movies\JOHN.WICK.3.PARABELLUM.DV.ts
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
File size                                : 72.1 GiB
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 79.0 Mb/s
Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 35.5 Mb/s

Video
ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : 6
Bit rate                                 : 73.8 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.371
Stream size                              : 67.4 GiB (93%)
Language                                 : English
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0010 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 358 cd/m2
I would try creating an MKV from the .index file of the BDMV folder (or you can use the .mpls file I guess).

Once you have that, you can use eac3to to extract the Atmos audio, then throw the thd+ac3 (Atmos file) and the MKV into TSMuxer, then mux.

Check this out:

For those that are looking to make this work in the easiest way possible:

1) Rip to MKV with MakeMKV
2) eac3to titlename.mkv 2: titlename.thd+ac3
Note: titlename should be replaced with the actual name of the MKV
3) Add the MKV and the thd+ac3 track to TSMuxer
4) Remux to TS
Could you also make an easiest way possible tutorial for DTS track please?
jesper1994

Re: Current Walkthrough to Rip with DV playback for Nvidia Shield Pro 2019

Post by jesper1994 »

gottahavit wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:46 am
argo44 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:56 pm
Hi folks,

I know I'm going to probably get blasted for this but I check around every couple months or so for updates on ripping 4K Discs with MakeMKV for playback with Dolby Vision retained on Nvidia Shield 2019 pro. I did some searching on this thread using the relevant terms but didn't come up with anything solid. Yes it's possible I didn't search the right thing and it exists in here but I'm wondering if there is a current walkthrough to get MKV rip to playback with DV on my Shield. I do not have time to read 88 pages of the thread unfortunately so If someone is kind enough to post that or link to it in this thread, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, understood. Thanks.

EDIT -
- Does not have to be MKV file as long as it works with the Shield. Thanks.
- Do not care about Dolby Atmos but do want to retain lossless audio

Do you copy the files to your nvidia shield harddrive to watch them in kodi or how do you do that?
Cannikin

Re: Current Walkthrough to Rip with DV playback for Nvidia Shield Pro 2019

Post by Cannikin »

jesper1994 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:02 pm
Do you copy the files to your nvidia shield harddrive to watch them in kodi or how do you do that?
The Shield can see other computers on your network and stream files from them. There are a couple of different share types like DLNA and Samba. I've got a Synology DS1918 NAS (Network Attached Storage) on my network. It runs Plex Server. The Plex app on the Shield can see the server and stream everything as if it was directly attached to the Shield, it's great. The Shield also has a USB port and you can directly connect a hard drive and get your files from there.

Having a separate machine running Plex Server is a lot more flexible though—you can serve your movies out of your home network across the internet to, for example, your phone. It's like having your own private Netflix!
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Hi, would anyone please advise me. I have a Zidoo z9x. I installed Kodi and copied playercorefactory.xml and installed exoplayer. Someone would advise me how to share movies on KODI via DNLA and try Dolby Vision.
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

Tomas wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:19 pm
Hi, would anyone please advise me. I have a Zidoo z9x. I installed Kodi and copied playercorefactory.xml and installed exoplayer. Someone would advise me how to share movies on KODI via DNLA and try Dolby Vision.
Are you on Windows? Here's the first result that came up in Google search for "DLNA media server": https://www.howtogeek.com/215400/how-to ... ia-server/
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

Tomas wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:19 pm
Some folks have also reported that mounting your network drive to the Shield results in better performance. Here's how to do that: https://www.androidcentral.com/how-moun ... -shield-tv