Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
djbuddha

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by djbuddha »

Is there a version of the apk or a way to default the audio to 'none'? - trying to play my MKV rip of The Matrix. Worked fine on my other setup downstairs using an HDFury Vertex 2 running through a Marantz 6012.

I hooked my 2019 Shield up to a brand new Sony Bravia X90H I purchased for a room upstairs I need to furnish with a decent receiver / surround setup. To get it to play, I have to wait while it essentially times out, and then choose the correct audio from the top left after the time-out (that's using the oldest version of the apk). On the latest version, I can't even get to the top left select menu in any circumstance. It's not a bandwidth issue either as I'm directly connected up here to the same switch I typically use on my Atmos setup downstairs.

**edit** Nevermind, the audio change yields almost no difference after all.

**edit 2** I don't think it has to do with the audio stream, the internal kodi player is playing the regular HDR10 stream perfectly fine and it says it's reading the Atmos track as well. Dolby Vision does work on this TV with the Shield as I've had other Dolby Vision content play (including the test content in the latest apk).
sajtipajti

Post by sajtipajti »

Tomas wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:19 pm
Hi, would anyone please advise me. I have a Zidoo z9x. I installed Kodi and copied playercorefactory.xml and installed exoplayer. Someone would advise me how to share movies on KODI via DNLA and try Dolby Vision.
You don't need DLNA.
Just plug your external drive to Z9x, setup it in Kodi (Videos/Files/Add videos...) and that's all...
OR
If you have an external DLNA server, you must see it in Kodi during the setup (Videos/Files/Add videos...)
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

sajtipajti wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:07 am
Tomas wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:19 pm
Hi, would anyone please advise me. I have a Zidoo z9x. I installed Kodi and copied playercorefactory.xml and installed exoplayer. Someone would advise me how to share movies on KODI via DNLA and try Dolby Vision.
You don't need DLNA.
Just plug your external drive to Z9x, setup it in Kodi (Videos/Files/Add videos...) and that's all...
OR
If you have an external DLNA server, you must see it in Kodi during the setup (Videos/Files/Add videos...)
Hi, I still can't connect the external drive. I have a Synology NAS and when installing on Zidoo z9x I don't want to see a NAS. Can you advise?
argo44

Re: Current Walkthrough to Rip with DV playback for Nvidia Shield Pro 2019

Post by argo44 »

gottahavit wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:46 am
argo44 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:56 pm
Hi folks,

I know I'm going to probably get blasted for this but I check around every couple months or so for updates on ripping 4K Discs with MakeMKV for playback with Dolby Vision retained on Nvidia Shield 2019 pro. I did some searching on this thread using the relevant terms but didn't come up with anything solid. Yes it's possible I didn't search the right thing and it exists in here but I'm wondering if there is a current walkthrough to get MKV rip to playback with DV on my Shield. I do not have time to read 88 pages of the thread unfortunately so If someone is kind enough to post that or link to it in this thread, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, understood. Thanks.

EDIT -
- Does not have to be MKV file as long as it works with the Shield. Thanks.
- Do not care about Dolby Atmos but do want to retain lossless audio
Yes it's easy, you have 2 options(I've tested both with my Shield Pro 2019)
1) Download ExoPlayer and playercorefactory.xml from this thread and install both in kodi. You can now play your rips with DV.
2) Download TSMuxer from this thread and remux the mkv to .ts and play with plex.

#1 takes a little time to setup, but then you can just use makemkv
#2 just means setting up plec, but you need to remux every mkv.

Search "ExoPlayer APK" this thread
Search "playercorefactory" this thread
Search "TSMuxer" this thread

it's all there, I bought my first drive 2 days ago and had the firmware updated, ripping working, and DV working in about 2 hours all thanks to the great people in this forum.
Quick question. Is the version of Exoplayer I want Exoplayer_Chapters_Support_03_08_2020_no_debug.apk ? That is the file I got after searching and finding a download link to Mega which provides that file. Thanks.
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

Tomas wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:59 am
Hi, I still can't connect the external drive. I have a Synology NAS and when installing on Zidoo z9x I don't want to see a NAS. Can you advise?
How do you have access to your NAS configured? Is there "guest" access so that anyone can see any drive? Does the guest account have access to the directory where your files are stored?

When I set mine up I created a new user "shield" that has read-only access to the directory that has all of my movies.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Cannikin wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:22 pm
Tomas wrote:
How do you have access to your NAS configured? Is there "guest" access so that anyone can see any drive? Does the guest account have access to the directory where your files are stored?

When I set mine up I created a new user "shield" that has read-only access to the directory that has all of my movies.
I have access. I'll join Shield just fine. I want to connect to Zidoo via DNLA so I can see if I can use Kodi Dolby Vision.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Tomas wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:46 pm
Cannikin wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:22 pm
Tomas wrote:

I have access. I'll join Shield just fine. I want to connect to Zidoo via DNLA so I can see if I can use Kodi Dolby Vision.
If the Zidoo can natively mount smb or nfs shares, then it's better to do it that way. Otherwise for DNLA, there's usually a setting or app in your Synology settings to open up a specific folder or folders for DNLA access. You then have to add it in Kodi as a media source. If these instructions are not clear enough, then it may be better to ask in the respective Synology or Zidoo forums.
gottahavit

Post by gottahavit »

argo44 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:32 pm
gottahavit wrote:
argo44 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:56 pm
Hi folks,

I know I'm going to probably get blasted for this but I check around every couple months or so for updates on ripping 4K Discs with MakeMKV for playback with Dolby Vision retained on Nvidia Shield 2019 pro. I did some searching on this thread using the relevant terms but didn't come up with anything solid. Yes it's possible I didn't search the right thing and it exists in here but I'm wondering if there is a current walkthrough to get MKV rip to playback with DV on my Shield. I do not have time to read 88 pages of the thread unfortunately so If someone is kind enough to post that or link to it in this thread, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, understood. Thanks.

EDIT -
- Does not have to be MKV file as long as it works with the Shield. Thanks.
- Do not care about Dolby Atmos but do want to retain lossless audio
1) Download ExoPlayer and playercorefactory.xml from this thread and install both in kodi. You can now play your rips with DV.
2) Download TSMuxer from this thread and remux the mkv to .ts and play with plex.

it's all there, I bought my first drive 2 days ago and had the firmware updated, ripping working, and DV working in about 2 hours all thanks to the great people in this forum.
Quick question. Is the version of Exoplayer I want Exoplayer_Chapters_Support_03_08_2020_no_debug.apk ? That is the file I got after searching and finding a download link to Mega which provides that file. Thanks.
That is the version I am running, yes, unless there's something newer.
gottahavit

Post by gottahavit »

djbuddha wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:39 am
Is there a version of the apk or a way to default the audio to 'none'? - trying to play my MKV rip of The Matrix. Worked fine on my other setup downstairs using an HDFury Vertex 2 running through a Marantz 6012.

I hooked my 2019 Shield up to a brand new Sony Bravia X90H I purchased for a room upstairs I need to furnish with a decent receiver / surround setup. To get it to play, I have to wait while it essentially times out, and then choose the correct audio from the top left after the time-out (that's using the oldest version of the apk). On the latest version, I can't even get to the top left select menu in any circumstance. It's not a bandwidth issue either as I'm directly connected up here to the same switch I typically use on my Atmos setup downstairs.

**edit 2** I don't think it has to do with the audio stream, the internal kodi player is playing the regular HDR10 stream perfectly fine and it says it's reading the Atmos track as well. Dolby Vision does work on this TV with the Shield as I've had other Dolby Vision content play (including the test content in the latest apk).
As stated earlier you want to use network mounts from the shield, not from Kodi(if that's what you are doing). Then the shares just show up in kodi. I was not able to get the internal network shares in kodi to work with exoplayer, but once mapped in the shield there was no issue. Since exoplarer(and all external players) in kodi use their own streaming(just passed the stream path), I would assume there is a bug in the streaming reader in exoplayer(no offence to the dev of this great addon). With Kodi streams the stream passed is a SMB:// path, with the shield mounts the app gets local storage paths which are managed by the OS/Device.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

gottahavit wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:37 pm
djbuddha wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:39 am

As stated earlier you want to use network mounts from the shield, not from Kodi(if that's what you are doing). Then the shares just show up in kodi. I was not able to get the internal network shares in kodi to work with exoplayer, but once mapped in the shield there was no issue. Since exoplarer(and all external players) in kodi use their own streaming(just passed the stream path), I would assume there is a bug in the streaming reader in exoplayer(no offence to the dev of this great addon). With Kodi streams the stream passed is a SMB:// path, with the shield mounts the app gets local storage paths which are managed by the OS/Device.
i believe this is actually in the Kodi playcorefactory xml or whatever it is called, that default player is used for external sources, by mounting the NAS on the shield it then identifies as local storage within Kodi.
gabi.gegea@gmail.com

Post by gabi.gegea@gmail.com »

[/quote]

Yes it is.
argo44

Post by argo44 »

gottahavit wrote:
argo44 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:32 pm
gottahavit wrote:

That is the version I am running, yes, unless there's something newer.
Got it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alrighty

Post by alrighty »

I just started reading into dolby vision and it is quite difficult to get all at once but is the following correct?
1) there is no software yet to play an mkv with a base layer and enhancement layer as dv
2) an mkv with base layer and enhancement layer still contains all the necessary information to create a file (like a .ts) which can be played as dv
gabi.gegea@gmail.com

Post by gabi.gegea@gmail.com »

alrighty wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:24 pm
I just started reading into dolby vision and it is quite difficult to get all at once but is the following correct?
1) there is no software yet to play an mkv with a base layer and enhancement layer as dv
2) an mkv with base layer and enhancement layer still contains all the necessary information to create a file (like a .ts) which can be played as dv
1 is correct, not sure about the second.
xmenw

Post by xmenw »

I got my shield a few days back and did the following:

1. Installed Kodi from the playstore.
2. Installed Exoplayer from here - the file with name: Exoplayer_Chapters_Support_03_08_2020_no_debug.apk
3. Added playercorefactory.xml (below) to Kodi under userdata (Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/ ):

Code: Select all

<playercorefactory>
<players>
    <player name="ExoPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
			<filename>com.google.android.exoplayer2.demo</filename>
			<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
			<playcountminimumtime>120</playcountminimumtime>
    </player>
</players>
</playercorefactory> 
4. I had ripped MKV for Midway & Knives out with 1.15.2 but its not triggering Dolby Vision on my 65E6 with shield set to 24Hz HDR10 + DV output in display.

What should I be doing different? I have restarted Kodi/Shield a couple times with no different results, only HDR10 gets triggered every time.