Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Mr_Orange
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:11 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Mr_Orange » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:17 pm

jakuboleksy wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:49 pm
https://forums.plex.tv/t/release-announ ... 154124/362

WHATS NEW:

Bump the minimum supported Plex Media Server version to 1.15.2.
Player: support for Dolby Vision in MKV.
Player: Live TV is no longer supported in the old player.
I have a 2015 LG so I am restricted to 30Hz for DV but it seems to be working(ish). Some films are more reliable than others it seems. For instance, Universal Soldier works every time but Gladiator and Top Gun either default to HDR10 or don't display any video despite the soundtrack runing.

Cannikin
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:54 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Cannikin » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:26 pm

Identifying Dolby Vision in MKV files is coming to MediaInfo by tomorrow! https://github.com/MediaArea/MediaInfo/ ... -705658836

Mr_Orange
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:11 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Mr_Orange » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:16 pm

Mr_Orange wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:17 pm
jakuboleksy wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:49 pm
https://forums.plex.tv/t/release-announ ... 154124/362

WHATS NEW:

Bump the minimum supported Plex Media Server version to 1.15.2.
Player: support for Dolby Vision in MKV.
Player: Live TV is no longer supported in the old player.
I have a 2015 LG so I am restricted to 30Hz for DV but it seems to be working(ish). Some films are more reliable than others it seems. For instance, Universal Soldier works every time but Gladiator and Top Gun either default to HDR10 or don't display any video despite the soundtrack runing.
Further testing gave me and unknown HDR mode with a red tint - this happened for both Top Gun and Gladiator but not Universal Soldier.

Cannikin
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:54 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Cannikin » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:20 pm

Mr_Orange wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:16 pm
Further testing gave me and unknown HDR mode with a red tint - this happened for both Top Gun and Gladiator but not Universal Soldier.
Were you streaming from a Shield? That's also a known problem, but with the Shield itself, unrelated to Plex. They're working on that and there's a hotfix available now (not an official release yet): https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... fix-image/

You can get access to the hotfix versions by giving Nvidia the serial number on your Shield and then they'll show as available when you do a system update: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... ONTDELETE-

Mr_Orange
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:11 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Mr_Orange » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:29 pm

Cannikin wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:20 pm
Mr_Orange wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:16 pm
Further testing gave me and unknown HDR mode with a red tint - this happened for both Top Gun and Gladiator but not Universal Soldier.
Were you streaming from a Shield? That's also a known problem, but with the Shield itself, unrelated to Plex. They're working on that and there's a hotfix available now (not an official release yet): https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... fix-image/

You can get access to the hotfix versions by giving Nvidia the serial number on your Shield and then they'll show as available when you do a system update: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... ONTDELETE-
Yes, it was with a Shield. Thank you for the information on the Hotfix.

cipher
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:16 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by cipher » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:22 pm

Cannikin wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:26 pm
Identifying Dolby Vision in MKV files is coming to MediaInfo by tomorrow! https://github.com/MediaArea/MediaInfo/ ... -705658836
Very nice, another software update to cross off the list! Once Plex gets DV working consistently without the few issues being reported, and it's rolled into the non-Beta branch, I'll be very happy. Originally, I was hoping all the software apps would be ready with DV by Xmas so it looks like we'll be ahead of my own prediction.

gabi.gegea@gmail.com
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:40 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by gabi.gegea@gmail.com » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:14 am

New version available:
Plex for Android 8.8.0.21038-beta
Working better than the previous one.

Cannikin
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:54 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Cannikin » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:18 am

gabi.gegea@gmail.com wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:14 am
New version available:
Plex for Android 8.8.0.21038-beta
Working better than the previous one.
Sweet, get it here: https://forums.plex.tv/t/release-announ ... 154124/363

Larrikin
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:56 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Larrikin » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:59 am

Confirmed I have been able to get Dolby Vision to work with:

1.15.3 MakeMKV
LG CX 77"
Plex Beta 8.8.0.21038

I have to stop and start the movie several times at the beginning as the defaults to HDR but then eventually gets Dolby Vision. I don't think that's a MakeMKV issue, I think its a plex issue. Well done to makemkv for supporting Dolby Vision!

Tomas
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:47 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Tomas » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:17 pm

Hi, experts. You are my only salvation. Please I have Synology, but I updated to DSM 7 and unfortunately I can't PLEX (yes my mistake). There is a chance that I should play DV mkv via KODI. How to connect KODi with SYNOLOGY. I'm running through SHIELD. Thank you so much for your help or advice

gabi.gegea@gmail.com
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:40 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by gabi.gegea@gmail.com » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:16 pm

To trigger Dolby Vision it must be single video channel or will work with dual video channels?
(the new Plex beta)

ApexAftermath
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:20 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by ApexAftermath » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:11 am

There must be something about my UHD DV rips that isn't right because I am able to get the test files to play fine and TV shows dolby vision, but playing anything in Kodi with the exoplayer default set, or playing in the new plex beta does not trigger dolby vision. Playing on a shield pro 2019. Any suggestions?

Sparky101
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:05 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Sparky101 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:17 pm

Tomas wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:17 pm
Hi, experts. You are my only salvation. Please I have Synology, but I updated to DSM 7 and unfortunately I can't PLEX (yes my mistake). There is a chance that I should play DV mkv via KODI. How to connect KODi with SYNOLOGY. I'm running through SHIELD. Thank you so much for your help or advice
Can you not mount the Synology as a network share in the Shield and then run Plex server on the Shield itself?

ApexAftermath
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:20 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by ApexAftermath » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:28 pm

gabi.gegea@gmail.com wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:16 pm
To trigger Dolby Vision it must be single video channel or will work with dual video channels?
(the new Plex beta)
I would like to know the answer to this as well. Mine are dual video channels and not working in kodi or the new Plex beta.

Tomas
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:47 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Tomas » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:50 pm

Sparky101 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:17 pm
Tomas wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:17 pm
Hi, experts. You are my only salvation. Please I have Synology, but I updated to DSM 7 and unfortunately I can't PLEX (yes my mistake). There is a chance that I should play DV mkv via KODI. How to connect KODi with SYNOLOGY. I'm running through SHIELD. Thank you so much for your help or advice
Can you not mount the Synology as a network share in the Shield and then run Plex server on the Shield itself?
I didn't try that

Post Reply