Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Epedemic

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Epedemic »

There is no disc version of Blade Runner 2049 with DV...
Last edited by Epedemic on Fri May 15, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

anothermkvuser wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:02 pm
Currently a 4kUHD (Blade Runner 2049 for ex.) 1.15.1 MKV with DV/ATMOS = plays 4k HDR (NOT Dolby Vision), and the sound comes over as 7.1.
doesn't everything do that?
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

anothermkvuser wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:32 pm
I always assumed the MKV might change given that there is currently no player support, so, for me I used the MKV rip as an intermediary to the TS files. I'm prepared to rerip again.
Just to share: INFUSE 6 DOES play MKV. https://firecore.com/infuse

Scroll to the bottom for file support:
3GP, AVI, ASF, BDMV, DIVX, DVDMEDIA, DVR-MS, FLV, ISO/IMG, M2TS, M4V, MKV, MOV, MP4, MPEG, MTS, MXF, OGM, OGV, TS, VIDEO_TS, WEBM, WMV, WTV

Currently a 4kUHD (Blade Runner 2049 for ex.) 1.15.1 MKV with DV/ATMOS = plays 4k HDR (not Dolby Vision), and the sound comes over as 7.1.

I have the app running on a 4k Apple tv. The app is actively updated and a solid platform choice if you have an apple tv.

My ¢2
He meant there's no MKV player support for DV. There are plenty of apps that we're all aware of already for non-DV MKV.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

built_to_chill wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:49 am
Many thanks. Ah ok. I also of course have the option of just playing the disc :-)

However, in my particular case I’m interested in a worlflow where I archive my movies as mkv on my NAS (which I prefer since more information is retained), and then “export” to .ts files when we watch something. I do things this way because I need to copy over to a disc anyway for the X700 (non-gigabit LAN) and I prefer to archive in mkv since more information is kept (such as chapter info).

However, with the newer version of makemkv I’m no longer sure how to create a (X700) DV playable file from the mkv. So I’d be curious to understand if it’s still possible in theory.
If I understood this correctly, you used to use makemkv to make mkvs for pure archival purposes. Since makemkv never recognized the secondary video track containing the DV layer, I'm guessing you used another tool (mkvtoolnix?) afterwards to inject the DV video track. Whenever you needed to watch a title on the x700, you'd then simply convert the mkv with tsmuxer to get a dual track dv7 ts file.

Assuming that was your workflow, the latest version of makemkv would definitely create some problems. Following those same step but instead with the new makemkv, you'd end up with a file that has a BL+EL+RPU primary video track and a EL+RPU secondary track...which is not ideal. Unless makemkv creates a user option to choose between merging or keeping the BL/EL+RPU video tracks separate (useful for archival or future dual pid dv playback support imo), you'd have to use another tool like CloneBD to create your initial mkvs.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

anothermkvuser wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:32 pm
I always assumed the MKV might change given that there is currently no player support, so, for me I used the MKV rip as an intermediary to the TS files. I'm prepared to rerip again.
Just to share: INFUSE 6 DOES play MKV. https://firecore.com/infuse

Scroll to the bottom for file support:
3GP, AVI, ASF, BDMV, DIVX, DVDMEDIA, DVR-MS, FLV, ISO/IMG, M2TS, M4V, MKV, MOV, MP4, MPEG, MTS, MXF, OGM, OGV, TS, VIDEO_TS, WEBM, WMV, WTV

Currently a 4kUHD (Blade Runner 2049 for ex.) 1.15.1 MKV with DV/ATMOS = plays 4k HDR (not Dolby Vision), and the sound comes over as 7.1.

I have the app running on a 4k Apple tv. The app is actively updated and a solid platform choice if you have an apple tv.

My ¢2
This isn't about if a player supports MKV. See the part I bolded there? It means infuse is exactly like every other player that supports MKV. The issue is having a player that plays DV in an MKV container, for which there isn't any right now.
Last edited by SamuriHL on Fri May 15, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

siriusbox wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:50 am
Looks like ExoPlayer guys are not in the mood of give support to DV to MKV any time soon, they are suggesting to others make a pull request instead, https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer/iss ... -628588167 I wonder if we have here in this forum someone capable of take a look into their code and do it, probably the first place to look at would be the code that allow .TS and .MP4 with Dolby Vision to work, but I'm not a programmer.

Maybe Mike has the enough knowledge and expertise to do something like that.
This sucks because even if you could fork it and get it to work, you're not going to get Plex to adopt the forked version. :(
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:16 pm
siriusbox wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:50 am
Looks like ExoPlayer guys are not in the mood of give support to DV to MKV any time soon, they are suggesting to others make a pull request instead, https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer/iss ... -628588167 I wonder if we have here in this forum someone capable of take a look into their code and do it, probably the first place to look at would be the code that allow .TS and .MP4 with Dolby Vision to work, but I'm not a programmer.

Maybe Mike has the enough knowledge and expertise to do something like that.
This sucks because even if you could fork it and get it to work, you're not going to get Plex to adopt the forked version. :(
Not if the pull-request is accepted :). My day job is programming, but unfortunately audio/video and android-related work is still bit of a foreign language to me. If by the time the mkv dv format is finalized and nobody better qualified has gotten to it yet, I can take a stab at it with all this quarantine free time :lol: .
built_to_chill

Post by built_to_chill »

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:07 pm
built_to_chill wrote:
Many thanks. Ah ok. I also of course have the option of just playing the disc :-)

However, in my particular case I’m interested in a worlflow where I archive my movies as mkv on my NAS (which I prefer since more information is retained), and then “export” to .ts files when we watch something. I do things this way because I need to copy over to a disc anyway for the X700 (non-gigabit LAN) and I prefer to archive in mkv since more information is kept (such as chapter info).

However, with the newer version of makemkv I’m no longer sure how to create a (X700) DV playable file from the mkv. So I’d be curious to understand if it’s still possible in theory.
If I understood this correctly, you used to use makemkv to make mkvs for pure archival purposes. Since makemkv never recognized the secondary video track containing the DV layer, I'm guessing you used another tool (mkvtoolnix?) afterwards to inject the DV video track. Whenever you needed to watch a title on the x700, you'd then simply convert the mkv with tsmuxer to get a dual track dv7 ts file.

Assuming that was your workflow, the latest version of makemkv would definitely create some problems. Following those same step but instead with the new makemkv, you'd end up with a file that has a BL+EL+RPU primary video track and a EL+RPU secondary track...which is not ideal. Unless makemkv creates a user option to choose between merging or keeping the BL/EL+RPU video tracks separate (useful for archival or future dual pid dv playback support imo), you'd have to use another tool like CloneBD to create your initial mkvs.
Hi - sort of. The only clarification is that I didn’t need to use extra software to inject the DV. If I saved an mkv with both video layers I could directly point tsMuxeR (nightly builds circa March this year) to both layers and it would be able to create a DV .ts file playable on the X700. The only other software required was eac3to for the thd+ac3 dance to get lossless Atmos.

It was working perfectly for a bunch of discs.

While it is a shame, thanks for confirming this won’t work anymore. I’ve tried a bunch of different builds of tsMuxeR today that create .ts with various different DV profiles from this new type of mkv rip but indeed none worked on the X700:

- tsMuxeR nightly 2020-05-09 did not work: 1.0, dvhe.06.06, BL+EL+RPU
- tsMuxeR nightly 2020-03-01 did not work: 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU
- 04.06 “fixed” tsMuxeR (which required Wine on my Debian server): 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU also did not work

I’ll give up now and I guess carry on using an older version of makemkv for now.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

built_to_chill wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:36 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
built_to_chill wrote:

Hi - sort of. The only clarification is that I didn’t need to use extra software to inject the DV. If I saved an mkv with both video layers I could directly point tsMuxeR (nightly builds circa March this year) to both layers and it would be able to create a DV .ts file playable on the X700. The only other software required was eac3to for the thd+ac3 dance to get lossless Atmos.

While it is a shame, thanks for confirming this won’t work anymore. I’ve tried a bunch of different builds of tsMuxeR today that create .ts with various different DV profiles from this new type of mkv rip but indeed none worked on the X700:

- 04.06 “fixed” tsMuxeR (which required Wine on my Debian server): 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU also did not work

I’ll give up now and I guess carry on using an older version of makemkv for now.
ah I had no idea makemkv has been able to do that. how do you get the second video track to show up on an older version of makemkv? I've only ever seen the primary BL track.
built_to_chill

Post by built_to_chill »

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:45 pm
built_to_chill wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:36 pm
shawnc22 wrote:

ah I had no idea makemkv has been able to do that. how do you get the second video track to show up on an older version of makemkv? I've only ever seen the primary BL track.
I'm so sorry - you were actually exactly correct. I'd scripted this up months ago to automate it and had forgotten about the mkvtoolnix step. Apologies for the brain fart.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

built_to_chill wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:47 pm
I'm so sorry - you were actually exactly correct. I'd scripted this up months ago to automate it and had forgotten about the mkvtoolnix step. Apologies for the brain fart.
no worries! then yeah, old makemkv or another tool to create your mkvs would be your best bet in this scenario.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:35 pm
Not if the pull-request is accepted :). My day job is programming, but unfortunately audio/video and android-related work is still bit of a foreign language to me. If by the time the mkv dv format is finalized and nobody better qualified has gotten to it yet, I can take a stab at it with all this quarantine free time :lol: .
As is mine. I've been a developer for well over 20 years. I don't have time to look at it and that is definitely not my area of expertise at all anyway. I did help debug some TrueHD bitstreaming issues back in the day when it was first brought to the PC but I didn't write any of it...only helped the developer that did and submitted a patch to him to fix a bug. But yes, they MAY accept a PR if they review it and deem it worthy of inclusion. Maybe.
eladkse

Post by eladkse »

Apologies if this has already been asked... this new addition to MakeMKV is great for a lot of people, but I have no ability to play DV contetn, and thus have no interest in the format. The only thing it is doing for me is making my rips unnecessarily bigger as a result. Is there any way to turn off this new feature?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I have nothing with DV content, so I cannot test this, but...

With 3D content, there is a selectable "MVC" track you can disable. Maybe the same is available for DV?

Click on the triangle next to the main title in the left menu, and expand the list of tracks within it. Is there a DV track listed? If so, you can un-check that to leave it unripped.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:59 pm
I have nothing with DV content, so I cannot test this, but...

With 3D content, there is a selectable "MVC" track you can disable. Maybe the same is available for DV?

Click on the triangle next to the main title in the left menu, and expand the list of tracks within it. Is there a DV track listed? If so, you can un-check that to leave it unripped.
Unfortunately, there isn't. The tracks are automatically listed as merged if the DV track exists.