Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Rumourd

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Rumourd »

Cannikin wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:46 pm
phneutral wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:00 am
Sorry if it's been asked before, but can I remux existing MKV files with the DV layer to trigger DV in Plex, and if so how?
If you ripped the MKV using MakeMKV 1.15.2 or higher they should be good to go! If you ripped them in 1.15.1 then I think you can open it with 1.15.3 and output it back to a new file and it'll fix the metadata to match the correct spec (the same thing 1.15.2 would have created).
This only works on Plex through NVIDIA Shield, correct? Because I feed my Laptop Windows 10 to Plex solely, and nothing triggers the DV, so far.
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

Rumourd wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:31 pm
This only works on Plex through NVIDIA Shield, correct? Because I feed my Laptop Windows 10 to Plex solely, and nothing triggers the DV, so far.
I think it's Plex on any AndroidTV streaming device, but yeah Nvidia Shield is the popular one. Not sure what's going on in the Windows world!
Rumourd

Post by Rumourd »

Cannikin wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:06 pm
Rumourd wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:31 pm
I think it's Plex on any AndroidTV streaming device, but yeah Nvidia Shield is the popular one. Not sure what's going on in the Windows world!
Too bad for me, having a TCL Roku TV...
Digital moe

Post by Digital moe »

Cannikin wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:42 am
I tested all of my Dolby Vision encoded MKVs (ripped using MakeMKV 1.15.2) and all of them triggered DV on my LG B7 OLED being fed by a 2019 Nvidia Shield Pro!

However, the majority of them would first trigger HDR instead of DV. I would then hit “back” on the remote, start the movie again, and then DV would be enabled. This sometimes took as many as 6 tries in re-starting the movie to get DV to “stick.” I could then come back to the same movie I had problems with and DV would trigger the first time.
I have the same set up as you plus a Denon AVR 2300, and I just had this happen, only the once mind you. Think the fact that I was copying a UHD to the same share as I was trying to play form so the Shield took a few seconds extra to start the movie and it flicked up as HDR. Stopped the film and restarted and got DV.
Dinst

Post by Dinst »

Digital moe wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:01 pm
I have the same set up as you plus a Denon AVR 2300, and I just had this happen, only the once mind you. Think the fact that I was copying a UHD to the same share as I was trying to play form so the Shield took a few seconds extra to start the movie and it flicked up as HDR. Stopped the film and restarted and got DV.
It's because the Atmos is being transcoded to EAC3. That's why it takes longer to start playing, it has to transcode the audio and buffer it before it starts playing. Check the dashboard when it plays in HDR and it will show the TrueHD being transcoded to EAC3. If the audio is transcoded then you lose Dolby Vision.
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

Digital moe wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:01 pm
Over at the Plex feature request thread, one of the Plex folks said this is a known issue that they're looking into! https://forums.plex.tv/t/feature-reques ... u=cannikin
Digital moe

Post by Digital moe »

Dinst wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:12 pm

It's because the Atmos is being transcoded to EAC3. That's why it takes longer to start playing, it has to transcode the audio and buffer it before it starts playing. Check the dashboard when it plays in HDR and it will show the TrueHD being transcoded to EAC3. If the audio is transcoded then you lose Dolby Vision.
It shouldn't transcode, it should just pass the audio through to my AVR and play the TrueHD track? I will check next time, plenty of DV discs yet to rip.
Dinst

Post by Dinst »

Digital moe wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:53 pm
It shouldn't transcode, it should just pass the audio through to my AVR and play the TrueHD track? I will check next time, plenty of DV discs yet to rip.
My setup shouldn't transcode either but it does.
Digital moe

Post by Digital moe »

Just tried a film after 30 minutes of inactivity and no transcoding it outputs the TrueHD track for MI 4 and played DV first time. Probably need to work out how long before the NAS spins the drives down.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Digital moe wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:22 pm
Just tried a film after 30 minutes of inactivity and no transcoding it outputs the TrueHD track for MI 4 and played DV first time. Probably need to work out how long before the NAS spins the drives down.
Can you take a look at the plex server logs at what it's doing when a film triggers DV and when the same one doesn't?
Digital moe

Post by Digital moe »

shawnc22 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:08 pm
Can you take a look at the plex server logs at what it's doing when a film triggers DV and when the same one doesn't?
Ok so when it triggers HDR it is indeed transcoding the TrueHD track to EAC3, you can see this in the player as well, it just says something like a error occurred and needs to transcode.

I had a look in the logs but can't remember what time it was and there is a lot of info in that log to try and find it.
gabi.gegea@gmail.com

Post by gabi.gegea@gmail.com »

Epedemic wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:33 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:15 pm
That's anyone's guess. I've never been able to get the beta of plex on my SHIELD so I'm probably going to have to wait, as well.
There's an apk in the link.

I just got it from play store, and it works IF i set refresh rate manually to 23/24fps (LG E6).
Dod you changed the refresh rate from plex settings or tv settings?
gabi.gegea@gmail.com

What do I do wrong!?
My setup is: Nvidia shield tv pro 2019, Panasonic hz1000, all ok for DV. Using the previous version of Plex, 8.7, Dolby Vision was triggered when playing some test files or single video channel mp4 with DV. Now after installing latest beta 8.8 Dolby Vision is not being displayed in any files.
Dolby vision is enabled in Nvidia shield.
Where can the problem be?
Epedemic

Post by Epedemic »

gabi.gegea@gmail.com wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:46 pm
Epedemic wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:15 pm
That's anyone's guess. I've never been able to get the beta of plex on my SHIELD so I'm probably going to have to wait, as well.

I just got it from play store, and it works IF i set refresh rate manually to 23/24fps (LG E6).
Shield settings.
gabi.gegea@gmail.com

Epedemic wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:06 am
gabi.gegea@gmail.com wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:46 pm
Epedemic wrote:

Shield settings.
Done that and still nothing.