Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
shawnc22

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by shawnc22 »

scrouples wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:46 am
Forgive me if I have missed something but I have read through this forum and am using the newest version of MakeMkv and am trying my best to test Dolby Vision working with Plex. I have ripped my disc copy of back to the future and can confirm I have ripped the proper title with chapters and choice of soundtrack.
When I open this file in a new makemkv window it shows it processed it properly. But I cannot get Plex to see this. I have a 2017 shield which I realize It will not support Dolby vision, but I have a 2018 LG OLED C series with Plex installed and pointing it at my server. It sees the files as 4K HDR and not Dolby vision. The LG software thinks it’s the newest version of Plex installed on the tv, so I’m not sure what to do there. I have the latest Plex media server as well. Should the file itself show as a Dolby vision file in my Plex media server library regardless of where I’m trying to play it? Or have I missed something in make makemkv?
Playing Netflix files in Dolby vision on my OLED look amazing.

Side note: I have downloaded the 5 Dolby vision test files and even those are showing as 4K HDR when attempting to the play them on my OLED.

Any help would be appreciated. Apologies if I missed this in the forum.
LG WebOS version of Plex does not support dolby vision in mkvs, only the Android version does.
Sparky101

Post by Sparky101 »

And if you've followed this thread you'll know that only a beta version of Plex so far supports DV in MKV's and even that doesn't show anything in the menus before playing to tell you it's DV, only on a PC client if you go looking in the Get Info section do you see any mention. Either way neither the 2017 Shield or your TV will be able to play DV in MKV's but both should just play in HDR.
scrouples

Post by scrouples »

Perfect thanks so much! So once that becomes fully available in Plex I will be able to watch the files in Dolby vision but through a 2019 shield correct?
Sparky101

Post by Sparky101 »

scrouples wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:10 pm
Perfect thanks so much! So once that becomes fully available in Plex I will be able to watch the files in Dolby vision but through a 2019 shield correct?
Correct. You can watch today if you install the beta version, from my experience so far it works fine. Watched a few movies so far and the first season of the Mandalorian. Only real issue is sometimes it'll start playing in HDR, just stop and start playing again and then it detects DV. I guess the DV in the Plex menus is more a server side feature.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

DV support in Plex for Android has been out of beta for weeks now. It was a staged rollout so not everyone might've gotten it at the same time, but it's definitely out now.
scrouples

Post by scrouples »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:48 pm
DV support in Plex for Android has been out of beta for weeks now. It was a staged rollout so not everyone might've gotten it at the same time, but it's definitely out now.
So if I picked up a 2019 shield I would ready to roll? Or does the android version through shield differ then other platforms?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

scrouples wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:13 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
So if I picked up a 2019 shield I would ready to roll? Or does the android version through shield differ then other platforms?
Preferably the Pro, yes, but there are issues with picture accuracy that's been extensively discussed throughout these forums that you might want to do some reading up on before making a decision.
Cruzader1986

Post by Cruzader1986 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Can it work on the Sony A9G which allows installing android apps?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Cruzader1986 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:05 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Can it work on the Sony A9G which allows installing android apps?
It's probably the same release yeah, but don't expect it to have the same playback capabilities as the Shield; that part is still dependent on the hardware.
kavie87

Post by kavie87 »

I’ve managed to get kodi to play Dolby Vision via exoplayer. Works great. Was wondering if there is a code and where to put it, if I rename my 4k movies to have “Movie Name (2020) Dolby.Vision.mkv for those movies that DV so that it plays non DV in the default player and will play Dolby.Vision files in the exoplayer?
userr

Post by userr »

kavie87 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:19 pm
I’ve managed to get kodi to play Dolby Vision via exoplayer. Works great. Was wondering if there is a code and where to put it, if I rename my 4k movies to have “Movie Name (2020) Dolby.Vision.mkv for those movies that DV so that it plays non DV in the default player and will play Dolby.Vision files in the exoplayer?
Where can i get the apk for exoplayer? Is it the official version or yusesope version?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

userr wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:53 am
Where can i get the apk for exoplayer? Is it the official version or yusesope version?
As mentioned before in these threads, there are no and will not be any official apk releases of exoplayer. Exoplayer is an API that other android apps can leverage for video playback. You can modify the demo apk that can be built out of the source to accept custom files, which is what yusecope has done in addition to his own code for reading DV files, but that's about it.
userr

Post by userr »

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:32 pm
userr wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:53 am
As mentioned before in these threads, there are no and will not be any official apk releases of exoplayer. Exoplayer is an API that other android apps can leverage for video playback. You can modify the demo apk that can be built out of the source to accept custom files, which is what yusecope has done in addition to his own code for reading DV files, but that's about it.
Exoplayer_Chapters_Support_03_08_2020_no_debug.apk is the one i want?
Low Winter Sun

Post by Low Winter Sun »

Is anyone else having issues with Plex playing Dolby Vision from their MKV's since the last ShieldTV update?

I read that the Plex programmers are working with Nvidia to find out why the DV decoder keeps crashing, amongst other issues (colors).

It almost seems like Nvidia has little interest in their DV support being used for playing DV content sourced from UHD disks. They only seem to be interested in streaming (single layer) DV support.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Low Winter Sun wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:19 pm
Is anyone else having issues with Plex playing Dolby Vision from their MKV's since the last ShieldTV update?

I read that the Plex programmers are working with Nvidia to find out why the DV decoder keeps crashing, amongst other issues (colors).

It almost seems like Nvidia has little interest in their DV support being used for playing DV content sourced from UHD disks. They only seem to be interested in streaming (single layer) DV support.
No issues here after 8.2.1 update. As far as DV support for UHD rips on the Shield is concerned, it was never advertised and never meant to be supported. The fact that it's working so far in its current state is a bit of some unexpected luck imo. With that said, they are still looking into the color issues, but it's probably best to have some tempered expectations.