Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Grencola

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Grencola »

whiplash1 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:38 am
So will it trigger DV both on the player and the TV?
That's correct :D
Hanto

Post by Hanto »

kcxserver wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:13 am
STOP MUXING with tsMuxer 2.6.12 or 2020-04-19 Nightly !

With the versions you create a dvhe.06.06 which is absolute bullshit.
Profile 6 does not exist and does not work anywhere!
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologie ... levels.pdf

In this case, you need Profile 4 (or 8 -I have to see if that makes a difference with a single layer DV)

You need the the dvhe.04.06 Fix !!! ... tsMuxer (04.06 fix)).rar
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... c82#p86634 or https://github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer/pull/250

However, I am also surprised because otherwise there are single layer DV in profile 5. I once read that Profile 4 is no longer recommended by Dolby.

Anyway, get the fix for dvhe.04.06.. Then it will work at Shield 2019 and Plex in my Case.

dvhe.04.06 = 23.976 fps Content und TrueHD works!
dvhe.04.09 = 59.940 fps Content und TrueHD works!

Please note, however, that PGS subtitles are not supported. So you have to save them externally as SRT. Chapters are not possible in the file of .ts or .m2ts.
When I try this version of tsmuxer, .ts file created doesn't work on my TV while .mp4 works well.
I have lot of demo .ts dvhe 04.06 and works without problem so I don't understand
Sgt Hartman

Post by Sgt Hartman »

kcxserver wrote:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologie ... levels.pdf
So far I have a few .ts files in dvhe.06.06 and they work fine on my Shield with Plex, smooth running... Am I missing something?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

kcxserver wrote:

Holy, take a breath there bud. Profile 6 works just fine on the Nvidia Shield Pro 2019.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Grencola wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:28 pm
kcxserver wrote:

Holy, take a breath there bud. Profile 6 works just fine on the Nvidia Shield Pro 2019.
Only caveat being what yusecope mentioned here:

viewtopic.php?p=87208#p87208

But eyes wise, I can't tell the difference between playback of prof 4 and 6 files on the shield.

Theoretically though, it should just be a simple hex edit to switch between the profiles in the DV descriptors if you don't want to remux things again. The latest tsmuxer build produces a profile 6 video with dv compatibility of 1. The descriptor it produces is:

Code: Select all

05 04 48 45 56 43 B0 05 01 00 0C 37 1F
The last 3 bytes is where the profile and compatibility information is. (7 bits for profile #, 6 for level #, 1 each for EL, BL, RPU flag, 4 for dv compatiblity, and 4 empty bits at the end). So changing 0C 37 1F to 08 37 2F should switch a profile 6 comp 1 file to a profile 4 comp 2. This works for mp4 files, but whenever I've tried it on a TS file, it just produces an invalid file. Something else must also be altered :?
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

Anybody getting an issue where playing the TS via Plex causes DV to initiate but the video has raised/elevated blacks?

Hardware: Hisense H8
whiplash1

Post by whiplash1 »

Grencola wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:19 pm
whiplash1 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:38 am
So will it trigger DV both on the player and the TV?
That's correct :D
That does it then! Thank you!
kcxserver

Post by kcxserver »

Ok maybe I am wrong but profile 6...!? I was only so loud because here have some problems and created a profile 6.
It is definitely not recognized here by me. Only the sound is played. The video is not recognized by the server and is not played back by the Shield.

Maybe it is due to the different versions? I always have the most up-to-date betas for the server and the shield. Maybe it is also due to the tsMuxer version?

The Dolby document also appears to be out of date? But it says Profil 6 "Profiles 0–3 and 6 are not supported for new applications." and it seems to be a dual layer profile.That profile 6 not supported for new applications appears several times in the document.

If I understand the Dolby document correctly, Profile 8 should be used if necessary. It has the highest BL signal cross-compatibility and seems to be a single layer profile.

So why use profile 6 if Dolby doesn't define it and advises against it. The Dolby document also shows that profile 4 is not state of the art. But I'm not an expert.

My knowledge of this has always been
Profile 5 = single layer = streaming
Profile 7 = dual layer = UHD disc

I am open to all information you give me. I will also do another test as soon as possible.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

All of the ones I've created play perfectly fine on my Shield Pro 2019 in Plex and were made like this:

Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

I am using the fixed tsmuxer posted a few posts back as I had grabbed it back when it was posted and simply used that when I started making the TS files from the MKV's that MakeMKV are now producing. This has worked great for me.
kcxserver

Post by kcxserver »

SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:57 pm
dvhe.04.06 This has worked great for me.
Yes, I only can confirm that. So far I was able to integrate a maximum of DTS-HD or EAC3 with Atmos and was very happy to see that TrueHD is now also possible. Plex now only has to play DV with MKV, then it would be almost perfect.

In principle it doesn't matter to me which bitstream profile is used.
The main thing is that it works and the quality is not worse than another profile.

Again .. My currently successful tests with the shield and the tsmuxer (.ts) were with
dvhe.04.06 (24p)
dvhe.04.07 (25p)
dvhe.04.09 (60p)
dvhe.08.06 (24p)
dvhe.08.07 (25p)
dvhe.08.09 (60p)

However, I still believe that profiles 6 and 4 are "wrong" or "old" for a single layer dv, even if it works. The document clearly proves this. Only profile 5 (and 8 ) are intended by Dolby for 10-bit HEVC without an enhancement layer.

The only question that is still open for me or to be clarified is whether profile 8 is more compatible/downward compatible. I haven't quite got over it yet. I will test it.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

kcxserver wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:26 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:57 pm
dvhe.04.06 This has worked great for me.
Yes, I only can confirm that. So far I was able to integrate a maximum of DTS-HD or EAC3 with Atmos and was very happy to see that TrueHD is now also possible. Plex now only has to play DV with MKV, then it would be almost perfect.

In principle it doesn't matter to me which bitstream profile is used.
The main thing is that it works and the quality is not worse than another profile.

Again .. My currently successful tests with the shield and the tsmuxer (.ts) were with
dvhe.04.06 (24p)
dvhe.04.07 (25p)
dvhe.04.09 (60p)
dvhe.08.06 (24p)
dvhe.08.07 (25p)
dvhe.08.09 (60p)

However, I still believe that profiles 6 and 4 are "wrong" or "old" for a single layer dv, even if it works. The document clearly proves this. Only profile 5 (and 8 ) are intended by Dolby for 10-bit HEVC without an enhancement layer.

The only question that is still open for me or to be clarified is whether profile 8 is more compatible/downward compatible. I haven't quite got over it yet. I will test it.
Nobody's creating profile 4/6 TS files with single layer DV. The video tracks generated by the new makemkv or yusecope's tool (unless you use mode 2) are double layered and still retains the EL.
kcxserver

Post by kcxserver »

shawnc22 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:17 pm
Nobody's creating profile 4/6 TS files with single layer DV. The video tracks generated by the new makemkv or yusecope's tool (unless you use mode 2) are double layered and still retains the EL.
I don't think you understand me or we talk past each other... Read the answer from mike again:
mike admin wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:06 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:42 pm
is what makemkv doing now currently similar to what yusecope's tool is doing in combining the original dual video tracks into a single track with dual layers (BL+EL+RPU)?
Yes. All tools - yusecope's, dvdfab an makemkv do the same thing - convert double pid encoding to single-pid encoding (UHD BD is always double-layer and stays double layer).
Of course, a single layer is also "multi-layered", since it contains the dynamic metadata. But it is not a double layer.

Double Layer = 2x HEVC 10bit tracks
The second track (FHD) contains the metadata (EL + RPU) and everything from Dolby Vision.
(Shield can't read the DV Data because DL is only for UHD Discs)

Single Layer = 1x HEVC 10bit track
Everything must be in the track.

Again on the topic of Bitsream. Here is the official Dolby site with single layer videos:
https://developer.dolby.com/tools-media ... n-streams/

Only profiles 5 and 8 can be found there - as described by me or as can be seen in the Dolby document.

That is why I will only use these profiles. DVDFab also uses profile 5 for single layers and 7 for double layer - just as it should be.
I haven't looked at yusecope's tool yet I can't say anything about that.

I compared yesterday with the Shield 2017 and 2019 Pro Profil4 and 8. I can see no difference - both run the same and without problems.
As I said, I will use the tsMuxer with profile 8. Simply because it is intended.

I also think MakeMKV or the tsMuxer should stick to the Dolby specifications or give you the choice between the profiles like for example at mp4muxer.
You can choose or test all dv profiles. I miss that at MakeMKV, for example - you can't set what to do - or have I overlooked something?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

kcxserver wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:07 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:17 pm
mike admin wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:06 pm

Yes. All tools - yusecope's, dvdfab an makemkv do the same thing - convert double pid encoding to single-pid encoding (UHD BD is always double-layer and stays double layer).
Of course, a single layer is also "multi-layered", since it contains the dynamic metadata. But it is not a double layer.

Double Layer = 2x HEVC 10bit tracks
The second track (FHD) contains the metadata (EL + RPU) and everything from Dolby Vision.
(Shield can't read the DV Data because DL is only for UHD Discs)

Single Layer = 1x HEVC 10bit track
Everything must be in the track.
Almost except,

Double PID = 2x HEVC 10bit tracks with the secondary PID containing (EL+RPU) data.

Single PID = 1x HEVC 10bit track (BL+EL+RPU -> double layer or BL+RPU -> single layer)

It's confusing and wrong to use layer for both purposes. If both BL and EL are present, regardless of which PID encoding is used, it is considered double-layered and it is the only thing (and DV compatibility) that dolby profiles are based on. Profile has nothing to do with the number of PIDs; it's been said in this thread by mike and many times in the other thread.
kcxserver wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:07 pm
Again on the topic of Bitsream. Here is the official Dolby site with single layer videos:
https://developer.dolby.com/tools-media ... n-streams/

Only profiles 5 and 8 can be found there - as described by me or as can be seen in the Dolby document.

That is why I will only use these profiles. DVDFab also uses profile 5 for single layers and 7 for double layer - just as it should be.
I haven't looked at yusecope's tool yet I can't say anything about that.

I compared yesterday with the Shield 2017 and 2019 Pro Profil4 and 8. I can see no difference - both run the same and without problems.
As I said, I will use the tsMuxer with profile 8. Simply because it is intended.

I also think MakeMKV or the tsMuxer should stick to the Dolby specifications or give you the choice between the profiles like for example at mp4muxer.
You can choose or test all dv profiles. I miss that at MakeMKV, for example - you can't set what to do - or have I overlooked something?
Have you looked at any of those videos posted on the dolby site in mediainfo? If you did, you'd notice that they're all BL+RPU, no EL and hence single-layer. The difference between 5 and 8 is in the color space and DV compatibility. The video tracks currently generated by makemkv and yusecope's tool are still double layer (BL+EL+RPU) with the EL fully intact. If you put one of your profile 8 TS (you must be using a really old build of tsmuxer) videos generated with the new makemkv into mediainfo, you'll see that it's BL+EL+RPU, and not BL+RPU like the ones on the Dolby site. You can certainly argue about whether it should be 4, 6, or 7, but definitely not 8 if you're talking about "sticking to the Dolby specifications".

Example of an official single PID double layer (BL+EL+RPU) profile 4 demo here:

https://4kmedia.org/lg-dolby-vision-uhd-4k-demo/
kcxserver

Post by kcxserver »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:41 pm
Double PID = 2x HEVC 10bit tracks with the secondary PID containing (EL+RPU) data.
Single PID = 1x HEVC 10bit track (BL+EL+RPU -> double layer or BL+RPU -> single layer)
Ok as I said I am not an expert but I read a lot about DV. I have never read or heard of PID. Google also does not tell me what that should be.
I always understood the Dolby Vision white paper as 2x HEVC is dual layer and 1x is single layer. Or do I get the graphic wrong:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologie ... -paper.pdf

As you can see from the contributions and discussions here, one thing is definitely true "There are multiple ways to encode and decode Dolby Vision signals"
shawnc22 wrote:
Yes is also correct. I just said that profile 6 is "wrong" and profile 4 "old". The video is one of the oldest DV video you can show me. It is from August 2017.

Read the dolby-vision-profiles-levels.pdf
Take these notes into consideration when using the Dolby Vision bitstream profiles.
For profile 4: Profile 4 is not supported for new applications by service providers...

A profile 4 bitstream with a MEL is a constrained version of the original profile 4 bitstream. It producesa high dynamic range Dolby Vision video signal on both older and new Dolby Vision certified devices.An original profile 4 bitstream with a full enhancement layer distributed after 31 December, 2017,may not produce the high dynamic range Dolby Vision video signal on all Dolby Vision devices...

A new Dolby Vision device that chooses not to instantiate a second HEVC decoder and supportsprofile 4 must distinguish the original profile 4 bitstream from the profile 4 MEL bitstream. Whenreceiving an original profile 4 bitstream, such a device:• Exits the Dolby Vision video pipeline• Uses its normal video pipeline for video processing, and displays a standard dynamic range videosignal only• Does not display the Dolby Vision logo...
But english is not my mother tongue, maybe i get it wrong. I don't find it anymore but I read that profile 4 is no longer recommended. But it actually does not matter. The main thing is that it works and has the same quality. Perhaps profile 4 is just right for a backward-built single layer(PID) from disc.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

kcxserver wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:41 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Ok as I said I am not an expert but I read a lot about DV. I have never read or heard of PID. Google also does not tell me what that should be.
I always understood the Dolby Vision white paper as 2x HEVC is dual layer and 1x is single layer. Or do I get the graphic wrong:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologie ... -paper.pdf

As you can see from the contributions and discussions here, one thing is definitely true "There are multiple ways to encode and decode Dolby Vision signals"
shawnc22 wrote:
Yes is also correct. I just said that profile 6 is "wrong" and profile 4 "old". The video is one of the oldest DV video you can show me. It is from August 2017.

Read the dolby-vision-profiles-levels.pdf
Take these notes into consideration when using the Dolby Vision bitstream profiles.
For profile 4: Profile 4 is not supported for new applications by service providers...

A profile 4 bitstream with a MEL is a constrained version of the original profile 4 bitstream. It producesa high dynamic range Dolby Vision video signal on both older and new Dolby Vision certified devices.An original profile 4 bitstream with a full enhancement layer distributed after 31 December, 2017,may not produce the high dynamic range Dolby Vision video signal on all Dolby Vision devices...

A new Dolby Vision device that chooses not to instantiate a second HEVC decoder and supportsprofile 4 must distinguish the original profile 4 bitstream from the profile 4 MEL bitstream. Whenreceiving an original profile 4 bitstream, such a device:• Exits the Dolby Vision video pipeline• Uses its normal video pipeline for video processing, and displays a standard dynamic range videosignal only• Does not display the Dolby Vision logo...
But english is not my mother tongue, maybe i get it wrong. I don't find it anymore but I read that profile 4 is no longer recommended. But it actually does not matter. The main thing is that it works and has the same quality. Perhaps profile 4 is just right for a backward-built single layer(PID) from disc.
Dolby is moving most companies to Profile 5, which is not backward compatible with SDR/HDR. Dolby's goal is a monopoly, that's why they have moved away from profile 4/SDR and profile 6 HDR/HDR10+. I prefer Profile 6 since it's supported by Fire TV, Shield, LG, Sony X700 ( not 100% sure about Sony ), and some other TVs. But I don't mind Profile 5 at all since it plays perfectly virtually on all the streaming devices ( the only drawback is it lacks the EL support, and it's only 10-bit, which I don't care )