Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by kweenie »

zeerow2k wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:09 pm
kweenie wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:20 pm
Hi, noticed something weird.

Title A Quiet Place. A FEL title.

When playing the mkv rip on a shield pro with the latest apk from yusesope, I noticed that the lighter scenes are “unstable”. They seem to slightly flicker. The background sometimes has some unstable “pinkish” blocks. This is very noticable in the beginning the shot of the missing persons at 1.05 and even more when they are in the shop from 1.25 to 1.30. Playing the disc on an Oppo and this is not present.

What could be the reason? Shield or rip (did it twice, no difference) or apk? Maybe someone with equal setup could double check.
Just watched the scenes you mentioned through Kodi+Exoplayer and saw no pink blocks or flickering of any sort - dolby vision was enabled. This is through a 2019 Shield Pro.
Thanks for checking.

I played around with the settings of the shield since something like this bugs the shit out of me, when I am the only seeing this. As it seems toggling the match color space button fixed this. A couple of days ago I needed to do a factory reset and forgot to set the shield back to the 23.976 HDR and DV rec2020 setting. My suspicion is that the shield not always recognizes the BT flag and maybe was doing something weird to the color space when I saw these pinkish blocks. Maybe this has to do with the color issue that has been reported as well?!
zeerow2k

Post by zeerow2k »

kweenie wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:29 am

Thanks for checking.

I played around with the settings of the shield since something like this bugs the shit out of me, when I am the only seeing this. As it seems toggling the match color space button fixed this. A couple of days ago I needed to do a factory reset and forgot to set the shield back to the 23.976 HDR and DV rec2020 setting. My suspicion is that the shield not always recognizes the BT flag and maybe was doing something weird to the color space when I saw these pinkish blocks. Maybe this has to do with the color issue that has been reported as well?!
I had similar issues last weekend with my Shield doing some weird shit with color space too. I didn't end up factory resetting it but I damn near changed everything out to rule the Shield as the issue - switched HDMI cables, updated my receiver's firmware, went from Shield to TV directly. Eventually the issue seemed to fix itself after messing with the settings for a couple of hours.
DennisTheMenace

Post by DennisTheMenace »

Had some strange colors too one times, but a reboot of the shield solved it
oldirtydog

Post by oldirtydog »

Hi guys,this is info for upcoming media player Zidoo Z9X-
Regarding DV support it supports Netflix and DV within MKV containers (profile 5 and profile 8 MEL for now). Work is said by Zidoo to be done on MKV containers regarding profiles 4, 5, 8 & 9.
It is expected never to support 4K/HDR10 movies with additional 1080P/DV playback within an ISO container (profile 7) for legal reasons. The DV track need to to ripped separately to a supported profile in a MKV container for playback as the consequence.

With MakeMKV v1.15.2 can i watch DV movies on mkv ? or i will make it to TS file with yoroscope and eac3togui to set atmos sound ?
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Hi, I have a Shield, but I'm considering buying a Zidoo Z9X. I would like to know if I will do well and improve? If they go to play mkv Doblby Vision? thank you very much for your help
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

Tomas wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:52 pm
Hi, I have a Shield, but I'm considering buying a Zidoo Z9X. I would like to know if I will do well and improve? If they go to play mkv Doblby Vision? thank you very much for your help
Wait at least a month or two. Let them push software updates to polish the user experience ( I have zero doubts they won't ), and code some other updates regarding the DV. But I have high hopes for the perfect DV streamer!
Pmaw10

Post by Pmaw10 »

Tomas wrote:
Do you use the streaming apps on your shield? Because the zidoo doesn't even support 4k on any of the major streaming apps (except youtube) let alone HDR/Dolby Vision. Yeah I'll stick with my shield.
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

OKAY after spending the last couple of days reading through this thread (someone should turn it into a novel) it sounds like the following assertions are true:

1. It's now safe to rip Dolby Vision 4k discs and associated TrueHD/Atmos tracks (if you have MakeMKV 1.15.2 or higher)
2. It's actually possible to play them back as regular .mkv files on an Nvidia Shield if you're willing to use a custom version of Exoplayer in Kodi viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21937&start=1080#p94077
3. Native Plex/Kodi support is probably in the works, or will be soon

By "safe" I just mean that it's unlikely we would need to rip them again, as the MKV spec is now official and player support against that spec is in progress.

After that thread I ponied up and purchased MakeMKV for real, Mike should probably be charging like 4x more (don't tell him!). :)
oldirtydog

Post by oldirtydog »

mulucy wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:28 pm
Tomas wrote:
Wait at least a month or two. Let them push software updates to polish the user experience ( I have zero doubts they won't ), and code some other updates regarding the DV. But I have high hopes for the perfect DV streamer!
This is for Zidoo Z9X !
Regarding DV support it supports Netflix and DV within MKV containers (profile 5 and profile 8 MEL for now). Work is said by Zidoo to be done on MKV containers regarding profiles 4, 5, 8 & 9.
It is expected never to support 4K/HDR10 movies with additional 1080P/DV playback within an ISO container (profile 7) for legal reasons. The DV track need to to ripped separately to a supported profile in a MKV container for playback as the consequence.
kcxserver

Post by kcxserver »

Pmaw10 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:46 pm
Tomas wrote:
Do you use the streaming apps on your shield? Because the zidoo doesn't even support 4k on any of the major streaming apps (except youtube) let alone HDR/Dolby Vision. Yeah I'll stick with my shield.
I found a "first report" http://mediaplayers.gr/zidoo-z9x/

If you go after that, I can only agree with you.

It's not a real alternative to the Shield. It's nice that it will support DV in MKV but nothing more.
Ok, he has an "HDMI in" and an analog "AV out" but in principle only suitable for your own backup copies.

Yes, I'll stick with my shield too. But it is certainly a good box for one or the other who knows exactly what to do with it.
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

mike admin
Hi mike :D
I run into a problem with Atomic Blonde disk

raw hevc:
BL = 37,1 GB (39 857 568 135 bytes)
EL+RPU = 6,43 ГБ (6 905 700 709 bytes)

hevc made by 1.15.2
BL+EL+RPU = 38,5 ГБ (41 420 455 974 bytes)
hardly playable in mkv by exoplayer with oblivious brightness and colors flickering

hevc made by yusesope tool 0.0.4
BL+EL+RPU = 43,5 ГБ (46 766 745 084 bytes)
playable in ts by plex with noticeble brightness flickering only on Sierra logo

Files (01:14 cut): https://gofile.io/d/EWljiR
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
eng050599

Post by eng050599 »

It's almost certain that I've missed the posts where this is already covered, but has there been any progress towards getting DV rips from MakeMKV to work using an Amazon Fire Stick 4K?

I've been able to get the custom Exoplayer working, and the test files play beautifully, but playback of any MKVs (created using 15.2), playback fails every time.

Any advice is appreciated.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

eng050599 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:04 pm
It's almost certain that I've missed the posts where this is already covered, but has there been any progress towards getting DV rips from MakeMKV to work using an Amazon Fire Stick 4K?

I've been able to get the custom Exoplayer working, and the test files play beautifully, but playback of any MKVs (created using 15.2), playback fails every time.

Any advice is appreciated.
Are you using the DLNA protocol to share your files?
SAMBA works only on the Shield (on the latter the share must be mounted using the internal functionality and not through Kodi).
Keep in mind that the Fire Stick has obvious hardware limitations: a user a few posts ago indicated the FEL titles (profile 7) as not working. It still managed to play the MEL ones.
Do your tests ...
gm23o

Post by gm23o »

When I go to rip a Movie it's offering me 2 identical size files to rip, both 59gb. Why is this
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

gm23o wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:11 pm
When I go to rip a Movie it's offering me 2 identical size files to rip, both 59gb. Why is this
What is the correct play list [insert title here]?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging