Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
omk1980
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:16 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by omk1980 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:38 am

cardsdoc wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:20 pm
All my discs are ripped as MKVs with Plex server serving to 2019 Shield and several ATV4Ks. All my DV discs are additionally ripped to full folder backup and can be streamed to my Oppo 203 if I want DV. I made a few DV TS files with THD/Atmos as per the excellent work from all contributors here which work fine on the 2019 Shield via Plex and is really cool. But to be honest on my pro calibrated LG C7 OLED the difference between HDR10 with active HDR on and DV is very subtle at best. Additionally I prefer to have the chapter and PGS subtitle support. So for now I'm just going to re-rip from the DV full disk backups to MKVs and if Plex decides to support DV via these MKVs great and it should work without further effort but if not I'm not finding it to be worth the effort of also creating TS DV files for now. But for those that want it I think this progress is great.
Agreed. 100% appreciated all the efforts made by Mike and the community, but I'm still using my 203 for DV playback. Hopefully, player support will be updated to play these files w/o having to mux them

kcxserver
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:37 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by kcxserver » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:52 am

Ok thank you all for the clarification and the information!

As written, profiles 4 and 8, which I create with the tsmuxer, run without problems in SDR, HDR10 and DV on plex/shield.

No matter which version I use, Plex does not recognize Profile 6 .ts with me. Can someone tell me which version I need or share a link so Plex recognizes dvhe.06?

Thanks again!

cardsdoc
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:32 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by cardsdoc » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:22 pm

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:52 am
cardsdoc wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:20 pm
All my discs are ripped as MKVs with Plex server serving to 2019 Shield and several ATV4Ks. All my DV discs are additionally ripped to full folder backup and can be streamed to my Oppo 203 if I want DV. I made a few DV TS files with THD/Atmos as per the excellent work from all contributors here which work fine on the 2019 Shield via Plex and is really cool. But to be honest on my pro calibrated LG C7 OLED the difference between HDR10 with active HDR on and DV is very subtle at best. Additionally I prefer to have the chapter and PGS subtitle support. So for now I'm just going to re-rip from the DV full disk backups to MKVs and if Plex decides to support DV via these MKVs great and it should work without further effort but if not I'm not finding it to be worth the effort of also creating TS DV files for now. But for those that want it I think this progress is great.
Hi, are you sure a pro would enable active HDR? From what I read on the calibration forums at abs it doesn’t provide a reference picture as the TV gueses the Tone Map as it goes along. I have a C7 and a C9 calibrated by myself with Calman and I have dynamic tone mapping turned off on both, just saying.
Yes I had mine calibrated by Chad B who is very well respected nationally. I know Vincent Teoh a UK pro calibrator who also does excellent reviews/analysis on YouTube recommended it and LG had recommended it in documentation for calibrators (obviously that needs to be taken with a grain of salt). From my reading back then in the avs calibration threads many were recommending it. Maybe recs have changed since then I don’t know.

Hanto
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:27 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Hanto » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:35 pm

jcdr428 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:06 pm
Hanto wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:06 pm
If I understand, if HDMV descriptors is not selected, ts file will work ?
Because "Generate HDMV compatible TS" is not selected and doesn't work too.
For the moment the option (from old tsMuxer 2.6.12) only changes the AC3 stream_id.
Now I understand thank you so much

SamuriHL
Posts: 1772
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by SamuriHL » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:35 pm

cardsdoc wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:22 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:52 am
cardsdoc wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:20 pm
All my discs are ripped as MKVs with Plex server serving to 2019 Shield and several ATV4Ks. All my DV discs are additionally ripped to full folder backup and can be streamed to my Oppo 203 if I want DV. I made a few DV TS files with THD/Atmos as per the excellent work from all contributors here which work fine on the 2019 Shield via Plex and is really cool. But to be honest on my pro calibrated LG C7 OLED the difference between HDR10 with active HDR on and DV is very subtle at best. Additionally I prefer to have the chapter and PGS subtitle support. So for now I'm just going to re-rip from the DV full disk backups to MKVs and if Plex decides to support DV via these MKVs great and it should work without further effort but if not I'm not finding it to be worth the effort of also creating TS DV files for now. But for those that want it I think this progress is great.
Hi, are you sure a pro would enable active HDR? From what I read on the calibration forums at abs it doesn’t provide a reference picture as the TV gueses the Tone Map as it goes along. I have a C7 and a C9 calibrated by myself with Calman and I have dynamic tone mapping turned off on both, just saying.
Yes I had mine calibrated by Chad B who is very well respected nationally. I know Vincent Teoh a UK pro calibrator who also does excellent reviews/analysis on YouTube recommended it and LG had recommended it in documentation for calibrators (obviously that needs to be taken with a grain of salt). From my reading back then in the avs calibration threads many were recommending it. Maybe recs have changed since then I don’t know.
I don't want to take this thread more off topic with this, but, LG's dynamic tone mapping is complete nonsense. It overly saturates and brightens the mid-SDR range which it shouldn't be touching at all. If you want to artificially "brighten" a picture, DTM is absolutely the way to go. If you care at all about accuracy, then disable it. What some of us are doing is using madvr's histogram tone mapping to tone map to ~700 nits to prevent the LG from doing its more aggressive curves. It works very well and approaches what Dolby Vision can do. The one gain that Dolby Vision has over HDR on the LG tv's is that HDR assumes 700 nit max before the tone curve kicks in (that's not entirely accurate but close enough for this discussion). On the C9 and CX you can define a custom tone curve. On a C8 or lower you can't. Dolby Vision, however, does not seem to have that artificial limit and can use more of your TV's nit range. In any case, if you're using external tone mapping like madvr it'll get very close to Dolby Vision. If you're using built in tone mapping, not so much.

shawnc22
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by shawnc22 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:04 pm

kcxserver wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:52 am
Ok thank you all for the clarification and the information!

As written, profiles 4 and 8, which I create with the tsmuxer, run without problems in SDR, HDR10 and DV on plex/shield.

No matter which version I use, Plex does not recognize Profile 6 .ts with me. Can someone tell me which version I need or share a link so Plex recognizes dvhe.06?

Thanks again!
From personal testing, it does not seem like an issue with profile 6, but rather one with recent versions of tsmuxer and the video track that makemkv is creating. If you create the BL+EL+RPU hevc track with yusecope’s tool instead (which theoretically is the same one generated by makemkv), it will work fine in profile 6 with the latest nightly builds of tsmuxer. If you also modify the source code of the latest tsmuxer build to create profile 4 instead of 6 files with the video track from makemkv, plex will also not recognize the video track at all. It seems like there’s just something from the makemkv video track that recent versions of tsmuxer do not like. The other odd thing is mediainfo still detects the video track just fine despite not being playable on plex.

kcxserver
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:37 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by kcxserver » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:31 pm

shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:04 pm
From personal testing, it does not seem like an issue with profile 6, but rather one with recent versions of tsmuxer and the video track that makemkv is creating. If you create the BL+EL+RPU hevc track with yusecope’s tool instead (which theoretically is the same one generated by makemkv), it will work fine in profile 6 with the latest nightly builds of tsmuxer. If you also modify the source code of the latest tsmuxer build to create profile 4 instead of 6 files with the video track from makemkv, plex will also not recognize the video track at all. It seems like there’s just something from the makemkv video track that recent versions of tsmuxer do not like. The other odd thing is mediainfo still detects the video track just fine despite not being playable on plex.
ok thanks for the explanation. That explains my problem. i got it :D
then I will have a look at yusecope’s tool in the near future.
In the distant future I would like the tsmuxer to be no longer needed.
It would be perfect if an MKV was created and then I can add the SRT subtitle and the desired sound tracks with MKVToolNix. 8)
a backward compatible DV track with chapters, srt subtitles and all sound tracks would be close to perfection :mrgreen:

steffenmanden
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:49 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by steffenmanden » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:26 am

After i saw the recent comment about them making a new IETF standardization for matroska, i threw a request over to see if Mike's way of implementing Dolby Vision could be accepted as a solution for the standard.

It seems they like it (atleast Moritz Bunkus from MKVToolNix)

https://github.com/cellar-wg/matroska-s ... issues/373

Are someone able to throw an example of an mkv with Mike's DV data preserved? They want to use it for testing and im stuck without my discs due to confinement in these Corona days!

They just need a single frame

RESET_9999
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:12 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by RESET_9999 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:18 pm

steffenmanden wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:26 am
After i saw the recent comment about them making a new IETF standardization for matroska, i threw a request over to see if Mike's way of implementing Dolby Vision could be accepted as a solution for the standard.

It seems they like it (atleast Moritz Bunkus from MKVToolNix)

https://github.com/cellar-wg/matroska-s ... issues/373

Are someone able to throw an example of an mkv with Mike's DV data preserved? They want to use it for testing and im stuck without my discs due to confinement in these Corona days!

They just need a single frame
Here's a 1 min original DV ISO sample, they should be able to create their own samples for testing(mkv, mp4 or ts).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HeooI- ... sp=sharing
Please forgive my English.
Sony x700 ----> Denon AVR ----> LG OLED C8
FIX the x700 DT-DL TS bug with this file

steffenmanden
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:49 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by steffenmanden » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:48 pm

Thanks - shared it with them

tradio
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:48 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by tradio » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:17 pm

hey guys, followed the exact steps below as described but the TS file from TSMuxer has no video (just blank screen) i can hear the audio though...any ideas?

Goddamn this is AWESOME! Made an unprotected ISO of Joker (you'll see why in a sec). Created the MKV with MakeMKV. Opened TSMuxer and dropped the MKV onto it. Opened the mounted ISO's 800.mpls and added the audio track. Spit out a TS file, dropped it on my NAS. Plex picked it up and is now playing in Dolby Vision with ATMOS. Super brilliant and thanks to all who have been fighting this good fight!!

SamuriHL
Posts: 1772
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by SamuriHL » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:22 am

Not with that amount of information, no.

jcdr428
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:55 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by jcdr428 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:25 am

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:56 pm
Ah got it, so it's not as simple as changing the DOVI values at the first occurrence (e.g. 0C 37 -> 08 37 to go from dvhe.6.06 -> dvhe.4.06) because the descriptors are also interleaved with the images during the muxing process. I do see all the multiple instances of the descriptor now when doing additional finds. Can I simply then do a replaceall or must I repeat the muxing process?
@shawnc22 yes you can do a replaceall. Although IMHO it would be simpler to re-mux.

Thornback
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:20 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Thornback » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:25 am

When people talk about Atmos in this thread do they mean lossless (TrueHD core) or lossy (AC3 core) Atmos (the letter being used on Netflix, among others)?

siriusbox
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:07 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by siriusbox » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:29 am

Lossless

Post Reply