Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Thornback
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:20 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Thornback » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:50 am

Ok, thanks.

As for playback devices currently supported, would I have any luck with madVR on Windows 10? Works a charm with HDR10 as an external player on Kodi.

SamuriHL
Posts: 1772
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by SamuriHL » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:54 am

There is no Dolby vision playback on a pc. So no madvr won't help you.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk


Thornback
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:20 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Thornback » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:00 pm

SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:54 am
There is no Dolby vision playback on a pc. So no madvr won't help you.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Right, so that's another hurdle that needs to be overcome. Oh well.

SamuriHL
Posts: 1772
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by SamuriHL » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:55 pm

I wouldn't count on that happening soon. A lot of things have to come together to make it work and no one's working on them. Madvr supporting Dolby vision is almost 0 chance right now. Plus you need a splitter that can read the metadata and pass it to a decoder that we don't have. Dolby vision requires license fees to get official support which isn't happening on a pc. The only way it happens is for people to develop it unofficially and as I said, they aren't working on it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk


Maxoumax6
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:03 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Maxoumax6 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:28 pm

I tried this brand new MakeMKV version, but it does not trigger DV on my LG C8.
If I'm right, this new worflow only works if you use Plex on the Shield, right?

All my files are DV profile 04.06.

monkeymindboy
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by monkeymindboy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:28 pm

@Maxoumax6
See page two of this thread.

New possible method:

1) Create MKV backup using v1.15.1 of MakeMKV.
2) Extract and convert atmos track from MKV to thd+ac3 format using eac3to.
3) Add MKV and the extracted thd+ac3 atmos audio track to tsmuxer and mux.
Windows 10 Pro
LG WH16NS40 - UHD Friendly
Asus BW-16D1HT - UHD Friendly
LG WH16NS40 - External Drive - Blu-Ray
HD/DVD - XBOX360 - External Drive

Shasarak
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:54 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Shasarak » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:57 am

So, for someone like myself who refuses to buy a 2019 Shield and is violently allergic to Plex, can files created in the way that is described in this thread (makemkv, eac3to, TsMuxer) be played any other way? For example, could my Oppo 203 play them correctly? ATV4K?

DaMacFunkin
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by DaMacFunkin » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:11 pm

Shasarak wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:57 am
So, for someone like myself who refuses to buy a 2019 Shield and is violently allergic to Plex, can files created in the way that is described in this thread (makemkv, eac3to, TsMuxer) be played any other way? For example, could my Oppo 203 play them correctly? ATV4K?
Just use TS muxer to create a TS or M2TS from your decrypted back up for use on Oppo 203.

AlvaroB
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:28 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by AlvaroB » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:00 pm

I made a backup of 1917 (HDR10+ and DV) to a MKV. The mediainfo says:

Code: Select all

Video
ID                          : 1
ID in the original source m : 4113 (0x1011)
Format                      : HEVC
Format/Info                 : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile              : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                  : SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible
Codec ID                    : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration                    : 1 h 58 min
Bit rate                    : 76.4 Mb/s
Width                       : 3 840 pixels
Height                      : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio        : 16:9
Frame rate mode             : Constant
Frame rate                  : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                 : YUV
Chroma subsampling          : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                   : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)          : 0.384
Stream size                 : 63.5 GiB (93%)
Language                    : English
Default                     : No
Forced                      : No
Color range                 : Limited
Color primaries             : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics    : PQ
Matrix coefficients         : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color pri : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light : 168 cd/m2
Original source medium      : Blu-ray
I don't see any mention to DV layers, is this ok? I edited the track names with MKVToolnix and I don't know if this affected the track.

mulucy
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:08 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by mulucy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:11 pm

monkeymindboy wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:28 pm
@Maxoumax6
See page two of this thread.

New possible method:

1) Create MKV backup using v1.15.1 of MakeMKV.
2) Extract and convert atmos track from MKV to thd+ac3 format using eac3to.
3) Add MKV and the extracted thd+ac3 atmos audio track to tsmuxer and mux.
Does using MakeMKV retain the DV data in profile 7? What's the advantage of using MakeMKV anyway?

yusesope
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:34 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by yusesope » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:32 pm

mike admin wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:41 pm
While not announced on release notes page, MakeMKV 1.15.1 (released 15.4.20) should correctly recognize and preserve Dolby Vision streams in MKV file. Given the original thread is 143 pages at the time of this writing, I'm creating a separate thread. Please report any DV issues here.
Hi guys.
I tested the latest version of makemkv only once with the sample ISO posted by @RESET_9999 (HERE).
So forgive any oversights.

I have two questions for mike:
  • AUD NALus are absent in the enhancement layer. Shouldn't they be mandatory in UHD-BD and therefore in a 1:1 copy?
  • All NALus in the enhancement layer have a value of nuh_layer_id other than 0. Is it a desired choice? and if so, why?

Cruzader1986
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:09 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Cruzader1986 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:57 pm

AlvaroB wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:00 pm
I made a backup of 1917 (HDR10+ and DV) to a MKV. The mediainfo says:

Code: Select all

Video
ID                          : 1
ID in the original source m : 4113 (0x1011)
Format                      : HEVC
Format/Info                 : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile              : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                  : SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible
Codec ID                    : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration                    : 1 h 58 min
Bit rate                    : 76.4 Mb/s
Width                       : 3 840 pixels
Height                      : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio        : 16:9
Frame rate mode             : Constant
Frame rate                  : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                 : YUV
Chroma subsampling          : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                   : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)          : 0.384
Stream size                 : 63.5 GiB (93%)
Language                    : English
Default                     : No
Forced                      : No
Color range                 : Limited
Color primaries             : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics    : PQ
Matrix coefficients         : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color pri : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light : 168 cd/m2
Original source medium      : Blu-ray
I don't see any mention to DV layers, is this ok? I edited the track names with MKVToolnix and I don't know if this affected the track.
mediainfo can't detect dolby vision on mkv yet. if you use tsmuxer on that mkv, the resulting .ts will be marked as dolby vision

AlvaroB
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:28 pm

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by AlvaroB » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:17 pm

Cruzader1986 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:57 pm
mediainfo can't detect dolby vision on mkv yet. if you use tsmuxer on that mkv, the resulting .ts will be marked as dolby vision
Good to know, thank you! I'm not gonna mux it to .ts yet, as my TV doesn't play DV. I just wanted to future proof it so I don't have to rip it again in a few years when I want Dolby Vision.

rosavanwinkle
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:10 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by rosavanwinkle » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:20 pm

So i just converted a movie using makemkv and then tsmuxer
tried playing it in mxplayer pro i get hdr....
Plex gives me dolby vision. do i have to change some settings?
I seriously am starting to trip out on where i'm wrong.
Discord: Rosa Van Winkle#2593 if anyone wants to guide me through this.

Code: Select all

General
ID                                       : 1 (0x1)
Complete name                            : \\SHIELD\internal\Movies\Yip Man 4.ts
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
File size                                : 46.5 GiB
Duration                                 : 1 h 45 min
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 63.3 Mb/s
Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 35.5 Mb/s

Video
ID                                       : 4117 (0x1015)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : 36
Duration                                 : 1 h 45 min
Bit rate                                 : 59.5 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 24.000 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.299
Stream size                              : 43.7 GiB (94%)
Language                                 : English
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : BT.2020
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 630 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 460 cd/m2

Audio
ID                                       : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : AC-3 MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3 + Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name                          : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Muxing mode                              : Stream extension
Codec ID                                 : 131
Duration                                 : 1 h 45 min
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 640 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 7 896 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 8 channels
Channel layout                           : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 482 MiB (1%)
Language                                 : Chinese
Service kind                             : Complete Main
Number of dynamic objects                : 11
Bed channel count                        : 1 channel
Bed channel configuration                : LFE

Mediaplayer: Nvidia Shield TV Pro
TV: LG 55SK7900PLA
plex pass user

VOLUNTEER FOR TESTING FILES AND SCRIPTS.

shawnc22
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 am

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by shawnc22 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:42 pm

rosavanwinkle wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:20 pm
So i just converted a movie using makemkv and then tsmuxer
tried playing it in mxplayer pro i get hdr....
Plex gives me dolby vision. do i have to change some settings?
I seriously am starting to trip out on where i'm wrong.
Discord: Rosa Van Winkle#2593 if anyone wants to guide me through this.

Code: Select all

General
ID                                       : 1 (0x1)
Complete name                            : \\SHIELD\internal\Movies\Yip Man 4.ts
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
File size                                : 46.5 GiB
Duration                                 : 1 h 45 min
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 63.3 Mb/s
Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 35.5 Mb/s

Video
ID                                       : 4117 (0x1015)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : 36
Duration                                 : 1 h 45 min
Bit rate                                 : 59.5 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 24.000 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.299
Stream size                              : 43.7 GiB (94%)
Language                                 : English
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : BT.2020
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 630 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 460 cd/m2

Audio
ID                                       : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : AC-3 MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3 + Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name                          : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Muxing mode                              : Stream extension
Codec ID                                 : 131
Duration                                 : 1 h 45 min
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 640 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 7 896 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 8 channels
Channel layout                           : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 482 MiB (1%)
Language                                 : Chinese
Service kind                             : Complete Main
Number of dynamic objects                : 11
Bed channel count                        : 1 channel
Bed channel configuration                : LFE

Like I said in the other thread, the issue is with your set up. The files you're creating are clearly fine, especially if they're playing in DV with Plex, so I would suggest stop tinkering with the remux process and focus more on the set up. Have you tried any of the suggestions I had mentioned? Another thing you may want to try is just playing the mkv directly from the result of makemkv and see if atmos audio is working from that. If that doesn't work, then there's obviously something that's preventing atmos from being played. What does the rest of your system look like (brand/model of audio receiver, how everything is hooked up, etc)?

Post Reply