Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB'

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Louisa

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB'

Post by Louisa »

I keep getting this error 3/4 through converting an UHD disk to .mkv. Haven't had problems before, but after the update it's started to act up. I know some people have downgraded their MakeMKV, but I'm not sure how to do that? I'm still fairly new to this and haven't had problems converting before. I've double cleaned the disk and it doesn't have any scratches, it's brand new.
Last edited by Louisa on Mon May 11, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billycar11

Re: Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB'

Post by Billycar11 »

Louisa wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:16 pm
I keep getting this error 3/4 through converting an UHD disk to .mkv. Haven't had problems before, but after the update it's started to act up. I know some people have downgraded their MakeMKV, but I'm not sure how to do that? I'm still fairly new to this and haven't had problems converitng before. I've double cleaned the disk and it doesn't have any scratches, it's brand new.
bad disc or bad drive try a replacement disc first.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Louisa

Post by Louisa »

Will have to buy the entire collection of DVDs again, that's a bummer, since it doesn't come separately (it's a TV show season).
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If it is "every disk", it is more likely to be a drive problem. If it is "all triple-layer disks", it is more likely to be a drive problem, because they drives are supposed to be able to handle triple-layer disks (but not all do).
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
saturn2888

Post by saturn2888 »

How can you tell if you have a triple-layer disc?

I have 4 of the same drive type: ASUS BW-16D1X-U. Is it possible I need to buy another model? I bought these drives within the last year.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

saturn2888 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:37 am
How can you tell if you have a triple-layer disc?
One way is to look in the 'Disc Information' section on the first screen in MakeMKV. Just launch MakeMKV and put a disc in; don't start a rip. For example: Image

Another way is to look up the disc on something like blu-ray.com. For example: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Suic ... ay/295757/ shows that it is a two disc set: 'Two-disc set (1 BD-100, 1 BD-50)'

A BD-100 is a triple layer UHD disc. A BD-50 is a dual layer blu-ray disc.
saturn2888

Post by saturn2888 »

A PC restart fixed most of my issues. But I'm not sure that actually did anything.

I'm wondering if the drives got hot and that warped the discs enough to make reading problematic.

I ripped 70 discs in the last few days, and it appears to be the drives I have manufactured in September 2022 that have issues. The one from April 2022 is fine.

I bought some LG slim Ultra HD Blu-ray drives today, and those worked fine on all media except 3 discs, but it seems to be bad discs. Of the 6 I tried, No drive could successfully the problematic video file.