Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
yusesope

Re: Official Dolby Vision MKV spec support

Post by yusesope »

Meister_Proper wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:09 pm
Excellent work yusesope!
May I ask you to do the same for MEL?
Sure, over the weekend. But first it would be better if someone confirmed the correct functioning of the current file (otherwise it is useless to create other files).
jayper wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:34 pm
Not that we need it, as the custom version of ExoPlayer has been meeting most of our needs, but does this mean we could use the official version of ExoPlayer as an external player with Kodi? Once there's a build of it, of course.
Over the weekend or at the latest in early September I will replace my code with that of the merged pull request. There is no rush, also because my code is similar to the one proposed to the ExoPlayer team. Then there are all the other improvements to add: the possibility of using it as an external player, support for the DTS-HD codec, chapters for mkv files ...
It is tedious work and I am very lazy these days... :mrgreen:
Cannikin wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:11 pm
This is Plex running as a Kodi plugin, correct?
I believe he is referring to my modified version of ExoPlayer.
codeXRes

Post by codeXRes »

yusesope wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:59 pm

I have no way to test what is written (I have no device capable of playing DV):
I leave HERE the files generated by the whole process in case someone wants to try them.
The result should be a black screen (10 seconds) with the "Dolby Vision" logo appearing on the screen.

If the files are found to work, I give you permission to use them as you see fit!
Jeez man, you're just brilliant. :shock:

Quick test results from my Shield using native Plex client:

Test.mkv - HDR (10 sec black screen)
test_DT_DL.mp4 - HDR (10 sec black screen)
test_ST_DL.mp4 - DV triggered (10 sec black screen)
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

codeXRes wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:58 pm
yusesope wrote:

I leave HERE the files generated by the whole process in case someone wants to try them.
The result should be a black screen (10 seconds) with the "Dolby Vision" logo appearing on the screen.

If the files are found to work, I give you permission to use them as you see fit!

Hi, you need to use the test mkv with Kodi and the modified exo player, not Plex.
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

Cannikin wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:09 pm
I created an issue over there to hopefully encourage them to take a look :) https://github.com/plexinc/plex-media-player/issues/982
It's been closed already stating that Plex uses MPV/FFmpeg.
codeXRes

Post by codeXRes »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:09 am
codeXRes wrote:
yusesope wrote:

Hi, you need to use the test mkv with Kodi and the modified exo player, not Plex.
I'm not using the custom exoplyer yet. The goal was to confirm that yusesope's generated DV files actually trigger DV. :)
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

yusesope wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:21 pm
Meister_Proper wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:09 pm
Excellent work yusesope!
May I ask you to do the same for MEL?
Sure, over the weekend. But first it would be better if someone confirmed the correct functioning of the current file (otherwise it is useless to create other files).
jayper wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:34 pm
Not that we need it, as the custom version of ExoPlayer has been meeting most of our needs, but does this mean we could use the official version of ExoPlayer as an external player with Kodi? Once there's a build of it, of course.
Over the weekend or at the latest in early September I will replace my code with that of the merged pull request. There is no rush, also because my code is similar to the one proposed to the ExoPlayer team. Then there are all the other improvements to add: the possibility of using it as an external player, support for the DTS-HD codec, chapters for mkv files ...
It is tedious work and I am very lazy these days... :mrgreen:
Cannikin wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:11 pm
This is Plex running as a Kodi plugin, correct?
I believe he is referring to my modified version of ExoPlayer.
You need to make pulls to the exoplayer repo so we get those features in :) A waste of your time to do it for a custom version of it! Might as well get your work included and get your name on the list of contributors of Exoplayer :)
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

codeXRes wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:37 am
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:09 am
codeXRes wrote:

I'm not using the custom exoplyer yet. The goal was to confirm that yusesope's generated DV files actually trigger DV. :)
The mkv won’t trigger DV without custom exoplayer ???
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

codeXRes wrote:

Thanks for the feedback

steffenmanden wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:09 am
You need to make pulls to the exoplayer repo so we get those features in :) A waste of your time to do it for a custom version of it! Might as well get your work included and get your name on the list of contributors of Exoplayer :)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It's not a waste of time! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I am really interested in the Shield but before each purchase I evaluate the cost/benefit ratio! I want my parents to be able to enjoy the quality offered by Dolby Vision without giving up lossless audio (that's why I got interested in DV and ExoPlayer)! I also need a smart device (OPPO and clones are therefore excluded) especially after discovering Termux for Android!
Small example: I would like to install security cameras (not that they are needed where I live but I would like to have "an eye" on my home and my parents when I am away at the University). I don't want to have to rely on the camera algorithms to report unusual activities (too many false positives) and I don't even want a super PC running 24/7 only for softwares like Blue Iris (hardware and energy cost too high). The solution: let the cameras send all the false positives they want while a neural network (Tensorflow), active on the Shield, filters all the reported activities (identifying only human beings and not a branch that moves or a cloud that suddenly creates a shaded area). Then I have a lot of scripts (for the most diverse needs) and the Raspberry Pie is now exhausted!
Making requests for ExoPlayer is the least of my thoughts :wink: (also because I'm not a programmer :oops: and I've always seen GitHub as a space reserved for people who are really competent in their field ... however I'll try to make a report at least for the DTS-HD)
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

yusesope wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:00 pm
I've always seen GitHub as a space reserved for people who are really competent in their field
I promise this isn't the case, everyone is welcome! Some people create entire web development frameworks and others fix typos in docs. Don't let anyone be a gatekeeper—you belong there just as much as anyone else!

And I think you've proven yourself to be a competent programmer—I've been doing this for 20 years and would not have ANY idea how to duplicate the work you've done with ExoPlayer! Everyone here owes you a great debt! :)
Donpoku

Post by Donpoku »

Cannikin wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:06 pm
yusesope wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:00 pm
I've always seen GitHub as a space reserved for people who are really competent in their field
I promise this isn't the case, everyone is welcome! Some people create entire web development frameworks and others fix typos in docs. Don't let anyone be a gatekeeper—you belong there just as much as anyone else!

And I think you've proven yourself to be a competent programmer—I've been doing this for 20 years and would not have ANY idea how to duplicate the work you've done with ExoPlayer! Everyone here owes you a great debt! :)
Second that! The guy is too modest for his own good.
whiplash1

Post by whiplash1 »

[/quote]
(I have no device capable of playing DV):

[/quote]

Hi yusesope, I tried all 3 files with your modified exoplayer apk through Kodi. None of them trigger DV. However all the files posted in page 2 trigger DV (except P7_FEL). I compared the mediainfo of all the files. I'm not worried about P4 or P5 for now. However, P7 mkvs work in weird ways. Your test.mkv has writing application makemkv 1.15.2 and writing library 1.15.2 as well. The P7_MEL (GI Joe Rise of Cobra) that correctly triggered DV has however, writing application makemkv 1.15.2 but writing library is 1.15.1.

So my question is, I'm going to do Joker which is an MEL title using Makemkv 1.15.2. How do I ensure its a P7_MEL mkv, with writing application 1.15.2 and writing library 1.15.1?
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

Cannikin wrote:
I've been doing this for 20 years and would not have ANY idea how to duplicate the work you've done with ExoPlayer...
Honestly I'm much prouder of my tool for combining the two layers (BL and EL + RPU) into one track. ExoPlayer is well written and the 30 lines of code I added don't have anything special - take a look at the merged request on ExoPlayer GitHub page. My approach is slightly different (I described it HERE) but the result is the same. Again, nothing special! It was fun to compare myself with more experienced people like @steffenmanden and @shawnc22
Donpoku wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:05 am
:lol:
No, it's not modesty, just "look like a fool" is not my favorite sport. If I can say something clever, fine, otherwise I'll keep my mouth shut. :wink:

whiplash1 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:47 am
So my question is, I'm going to do Joker which is an MEL title using Makemkv 1.15.2. How do I ensure its a P7_MEL mkv, with writing application 1.15.2 and writing library 1.15.1?
You forgot to specify the device on which you played the files from a few posts ago.
From what you say, I assume you own a Fire Stick 4K: in this case the device is unable to play profile 7 FEL files. Don't worry about the program/library version, if your device is capable of playing MEL movies, you will not have any problems.
whiplash1

Post by whiplash1 »

yusesope wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:35 am
Cannikin wrote:
I've been doing this for 20 years and would not have ANY idea how to duplicate the work you've done with ExoPlayer...
Honestly I'm much prouder of my tool for combining the two layers (BL and EL + RPU) into one track. ExoPlayer is well written and the 30 lines of code I added don't have anything special - take a look at the merged request on ExoPlayer GitHub page. My approach is slightly different (I described it HERE) but the result is the same. Again, nothing special! It was fun to compare myself with more experienced people like @steffenmanden and @shawnc22
Donpoku wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:05 am
:lol:
No, it's not modesty, just "look like a fool" is not my favorite sport. If I can say something clever, fine, otherwise I'll keep my mouth shut. :wink:

whiplash1 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:47 am
You forgot to specify the device on which you played the files from a few posts ago.
From what you say, I assume you own a Fire Stick 4K: in this case the device is unable to play profile 7 FEL files. Don't worry about the program/library version, if your device is capable of playing MEL movies, you will not have any problems.
I'm playing these on my android TV directly from an external HDD. Earlier I was not even able to get DV triggered from P7 MP4 files. Only P5 and P4 used to work in MP4 format. This new MKV standard enables me to correctly trigger DV from P7 MEL files. (GI Joe test file inside your modified exoplayer apk).

Interesting observation that I made just 10mins ago. Made an MKV for Joker from a full BD backup. Took a small snippet and played through your modified apk and it said "Playback failed". Took the file and removed the chapters using MKVtoolnix (v49, latest), which I'm told, preserves the DV metadata; and voila! DV is triggered! (In the mediainfo writing application and library both show mkvmerge now, which I suppose is getting rid of the problem I was having)

Didn't have to do all this with the GI Joe P7_MEL. It showed writing library as 1.15.1, but it was made in a 32bit machine it seems. (x86 debug version of Makemkv 1.15.2)

Any thoughts on this?
phbart

Post by phbart »

yusesope wrote:
On my LG OLED B7P, both mp4 worked fine, but the mkv only played as HDR.
Fuluer

Post by Fuluer »

In this world of Covid, very much looking forward to remastering my MKVs to DV so I can rewatch them in their glory. Any expectation on release date for next MakeMKV version?

And Mike, thank you very much for the work you have already done on this terrific app. IMHO, you have made the world a better place for all those who appreciate movies!