4K OLED TV for Dolby Vision

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
monkeymindboy

4K OLED TV for Dolby Vision

Post by monkeymindboy »

Hello,

I have been an MakeMKV users (paid) for many, many years and I am starting to look at 4K TV's. I see so many posts here about Dolby Vision I thought I would ask the members here for their opinion. I am looking for a general consensus on what TV's MakeMKV users are using to watch Dolby Vision UHD movies. I wasn't sure where else to post this within in the forums but I thought UHD discs would be a good place to start.

Thank you in advance.
Eric
Windows 10 Pro
LG WH16NS40 - UHD Friendly
Asus BW-16D1HT - UHD Friendly
LG WH16NS40 - External Drive - Blu-Ray
HD/DVD - XBOX360 - External Drive
averylinden

Re: 4K OLED TV for Dolby Vision

Post by averylinden »

LG C9 here - love it. Not sure if there are any Dolby Vision improvements in this years CX model.

Proprietary Dolby Vision, on the other hand, can stuff it.
makememe

Post by makememe »

This is late, but you should know prior to purchasing lg. There are many complaining about the oled screens, and some noting the components not good enough. I hesitate to pose this here, but when I see an lg recommendation I throw in my experience with the c7p. Food for thought because I am in the minority.

The short version: purchased and handled myself to the house, new from Bestbuy; I am on the 2nd screen, 3rd mainboard, 2nd power supply and I have red dots after all that. The red dots kind of mess up the infinite black picture, you think lg??! The image has 5 equidistant shaded parallel lines across the screen. Junk. As I write, I am pondering which tv to replace this disgrace.

I would recommend sony because, word has it, their tv components are better than lg's, but sony's oled screens are just as susceptible to stuck pixels and burn in. I read of one user had stuck pixels week 3. Ridiculous tech this oled. NOTE: I was aware of the burn-in issue prior to purchase, but due to pixel refresh I took the leap. I refreshed often; it does not matter. If you use oled for anything else like pc or gaming with static impression, you risk burn-in. When the tv working, no issues, great for movies.

Good luck.
jamisonia

Post by jamisonia »

I have a B7 and love it. I watch plenty of 4:3 content, play video games and I've had no burn in. It's kind of like a plasma TV. The risk is there, it's greatly overblown. It's worth the risk and just being careful to not leave static images on the screen for hours at a time.

The above poster mentions that Sony OLED panels have the same issues. They are both made by LG. OLEDs are simply the best viewing experience you're going to get.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

I have a C7 65'' and it's great. I came from a Panasonic 55'' Plasma that was hard to beat. And yes - all OLED panels are made by LG regardless if the TV says Sony, Panasonic etc.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

I really like both of my Samsung curved TV's. It's just unfortunate that Samsung will probably never support DV. They'd be perfect otherwise.

I've noticed some inexpensive 50 to 65 inch TV's at Kogan that support DV (not sure what version of DV though). I may consider one of these in the future as a TV for the bedroom. At least, I could then get a look at DV first hand. Only ever seen HDR.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
RobbieT1974

Post by RobbieT1974 »

I have an LG C9 here. Great tv.
Quick and responsive menu's, regular updates.

I agree Sony makes great tv's, but I cannot recommend a tv that runs Android TV on such a slow processor, and has so many limitations (Audio passthrough only for certain formats, not for DTS-HD, Dolby Digital TrueHD and Atmos)
And the update policy Sony uses for it's tv's is also very poor.
monkeymindboy

Post by monkeymindboy »

Thank you all for your valuable feedback.
Windows 10 Pro
LG WH16NS40 - UHD Friendly
Asus BW-16D1HT - UHD Friendly
LG WH16NS40 - External Drive - Blu-Ray
HD/DVD - XBOX360 - External Drive