Problems ripping UHDs in 1.15.2 [SOLVED, not MakeMKV]

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Liersi

Problems ripping UHDs in 1.15.2 [SOLVED, not MakeMKV]

Post by Liersi »

Hey everyone,

is anyone else encountering ripping problems (errors, hash check fails, no disc) with 1.15.2 that they weren't before? I'm trying to narrow down where my issues come from. Here's the lowdown: 3 drives, 2 LG BH16NS55 1.02 official and 1 ASUS BW-16D1HT on 3.01 official I believe. All clear on libredrive, unlimited read speeds. Never a single issue on any of them until today. Last disc rips were on 1.15.1 so I'm wondering if something changed. Today I received 3 UHDs, and haven't managed to rip a single one yet. The ASUS, my rock, won't even recognize JAWS as a disc.

3 possible causes I can see:
  • 1. All 3 drives shit the bed at the same time
    2. All 3 discs are bad
    3. Something in MakeMKV changed
Normally I'd go for 1, but 3 drives all at once? I'm trying to exclude 1 and 3 to make sure I really shit the bed big time with number 2 (huh).
Last edited by Liersi on Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayper

Re: Problems ripping UHDs in 1.15.2

Post by jayper »

You mentioned unlimited read speeds in your post.

Have you attempted to do a back-up / rip with the default read speed in place?

EDIT: To answer your question. No, I have not had any issues with 1.15.2, using an Asus BW-16D1HT on 3.01 or BD-RE BU40N on 1.03 MK.
Liersi

Post by Liersi »

Actually, unlimited is just what it says in the description. It's possible, but I just found out you need to enable this in 1.15.2, which I haven't. So read speed is firmware default, whatever that is.

I forgot to mention that all I'm doing is full backups to harddrive. Same settings as always. I just flashed one of the LGs to WH16NS60 1.02MK and that seemed to help a lot at first. It was slower, but everything read fine without errors until I assume it hit the third layer of Doctor Sleep. After that: hash check fail after hash check fail.

I wouldn't even be asking if it wasn't 3 discs with the same issue all at once.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

have you tried reinstalling 1.15.1 and see if that fixes the issue?
Liersi

Post by Liersi »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:58 pm
have you tried reinstalling 1.15.1 and see if that fixes the issue?
I'd been meaning to try that but can't find it :(

It's getting less likely anyway. Goodfellas completed successfully on 1.15.2, but the other 2 are misses no matter what I try. If someone can point me to 1.15.1 I'll give that a shot. Also have 2 new drives coming in tomorrow, but I'm not holding out much hope. Doctor Sleep fails toward the end on the third layer, that one has a chance. But Jaws craps out right at the beginning, is never even recognised or never gets going. That one's a goner. With Goodfellas going through fine it's unlikely to be MakeMKV. Just the worst of luck I guess. My first 2 failures in about 100 discs, both in one package. Almost 3.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Liersi

Post by Liersi »

Woodstock wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:15 pm
https://makemkv.com/download/old/
Ah, cheers for that Woodstock!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I'll repeat here what I've posted in other threads. 1.15.2's speed control is nothing short of brilliant. My default rules for my NS60 1.00 drives are:

0=99;U3=0

Which basically says, crank it on all but UHD triple layer discs. And for those, don't use speed control. But the reason this is brilliant is that when you encounter a stubborn disc, close MakeMKV, edit the registry, and change U3=0 to U3=8. That will then lock triple layer discs to 2x read speed. It'll take longer, obviously, but, at such a slow speed it has a higher chance for success on those difficult discs.
Digital moe

Post by Digital moe »

I just posted in the Blu-ray section, I upgraded to 1.15.2 last week and ripped some discs no issues, tonight tried to rip Paul and it couldn't even open the disc as a few reboots and retries I downgraded to 1.15.1 and was able to open and rip that disc.
Liersi

Post by Liersi »

1.15.1 didn't make a difference in my case, but that's really interesting. I think I've seen that happen before.

Guys, I've seen black magic and need an exxplanation. I kept trying, and Jaws wouldn't even be recognised by my best reader, the ASUS. I applied Samuri's speed recommendations and tried the LGs again: better, but didn't complete. Jaws crapped on out that beginning of the disc, and Doctor Sleep failed on the third layer. Clearly the firmware on the LGs was handling these better, but they had trouble reading them.

Then I had a desperate idea: the ASUS has been the best at reading UHDs and problem discs. It reads everything. It just won't recognise Jaws. The LG firmware I flashed (WH16NS60) recognises Jaws right away on the LGs. So why not risk it an try my best firmware on my best horse? So I did, and the ASUS-cum-LG ate Jaws like it was a kid on an inflatable banana. I'd even forgotten to apply the speed rule for this newly-flashed drive. Didn't matter, just blazed through it. Then I tried Doctor Sleep, which read just as fast, failed once on layer 3, then completed successfully after another isopropyl wipedown.

So, someone explain this black magic voodoo shit to me. It was the same damn drive that couldn't so much as recognise Jaws as a disc. It was blind. Then I flash another firmware and it goes "oh, there you are buddy" and reads both of the impossible discs? How it that possible?

I can only assume that you need two things to succeed: get lucky in getting good reader hardware, and then get the right firmware on it.
Liersi

Re: Problems ripping UHDs in 1.15.2 [SOLVED, not MakeMKV]

Post by Liersi »

Thanks for helping guys, you are awesome.

The two new drives (BH15NS55 flashed to WH16NS60) behave the same as my trusty ASUS on the new firmware. All good. Conclusion: unfortunate coincidence of very difficult discs, 2 LG drives that were getting long in the tooth, and an ASUS drive on a suboptimal firmware.

Was surprised when I took em out: old LGs made in JAN and SEP of 2016. New ones are from FEB 2020.