Planet of the Apes Trilogy Subtitle Issues

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Halewafa

Planet of the Apes Trilogy Subtitle Issues

Post by Halewafa »

Hi all,

It seems this has been brought up before from searching, but I wasn't able to find a clear answer. I've successfully ripped all three 4k movies, but as I was watching the first one (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) last night on my PLEX server, I noticed that I wasn't getting any text when they were signing. I turned the subtitles on that I had ripped (English w/ forced checked), which made it so I could see what they were signing, but then there will still subtitles for when people would talk.

I ended up ripping it again and checked all three subtitles for English and opened it in VLC. The first one had the same issue that I had with my PLEX server, the other two subtitles just seemed to be commentary about each scene from the director.

At the end of the rip, MakeMKV said that there were no forced subtitles found. Anyone have any recommendations? I did this with playlist 800, trying 801 now to see if it makes a difference, but I don't have my hopes up. Haven't had any issues with forced subtitles in the past. Appreciate any feedback/help!
eladkse

Re: Planet of the Apes Trilogy Subtitle Issues

Post by eladkse »

The subtitles you want aren't actually marked as forced on the disc. They are instead one of the many English tracks that are listed.

This is annoyingly common for a lot of publishers....not a fault of MakeMKV.

Unfortunately, there's no easy way from within MakeMKV to figure out which track you need.

Fortunately, fellow users maintain a database of forced subtitles, and where to find them. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 2134580265

Otherwise, you'll have to rip ALL the English tracks, then open the resulting clip in VLC to figure out which subtitle track you actually want.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Actually, you can simply play back the movie in VLC and cycle through the tracks. If you don't see subs when someone is talking you most likely already have found the forced sub. Just skip to the singing scene and verify this. Once you've converted the movie to MakeMKV you can use MKVToolnix's header editor to flag that track as forced which might be ignored by some standalones so you would have to remux the file to have this as the first subtitle track.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Halewafa

Post by Halewafa »

eladkse wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:10 pm
The subtitles you want aren't actually marked as forced on the disc. They are instead one of the many English tracks that are listed.

This is annoyingly common for a lot of publishers....not a fault of MakeMKV.

Unfortunately, there's no easy way from within MakeMKV to figure out which track you need.

Fortunately, fellow users maintain a database of forced subtitles, and where to find them. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 2134580265

Otherwise, you'll have to rip ALL the English tracks, then open the resulting clip in VLC to figure out which subtitle track you actually want.
Thanks for that link, unfortunately it doesn't have these movies listed. In my original post I wrote that I tried the VLC thing with no luck. Maybe the track I'm looking for isn't marked as English and I just need to rip it with every subtitle track checked and go through it again. I'll try that and report back.
Halewafa

Post by Halewafa »

Chetwood wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:24 am
Actually, you can simply play back the movie in VLC and cycle through the tracks. If you don't see subs when someone is talking you most likely already have found the forced sub. Just skip to the singing scene and verify this. Once you've converted the movie to MakeMKV you can use MKVToolnix's header editor to flag that track as forced which might be ignored by some standalones so you would have to remux the file to have this as the first subtitle track.
Thanks for the reply! I mentioned in my original post that I tried the VLC method with no luck on finding a track that just had the subtitles when they were signing. I'll try again with every subtitle track checked, not just English, to see if its maybe hidden somewhere else. I'll report back.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

If all else fails demux the tracks with TSMuxer and check each track in BDSUP2SUB.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
preserve

Post by preserve »

Seems like a common issue when you Google it. There may be some insight here:

https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/uhd-copy- ... f-the-apes
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00