Dolby Vision and 1.15.3

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ekpen

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.3

Post by ekpen »

Hello:
Kodi dv for shield is available already.
I have Kodi dv now for almost one week.
The link is buried within another link.
Do a search .
Thanks.
George.
morbius

Post by morbius »

thanks, I have read some of the posts to set up a custom player in Kodi, but the link I found to the apk was dead.
priitv8

Post by priitv8 »

I ripped the MKV out of Dolby UHD demo disc. Original is a classic 2-stream DoVi profile 7.6.
As a result I get from makeMKV a MKV file that has a single-stream video, also tagged as DoVi profile 7.6 stream.
What I do not understand is:
  • what happened to the 2-nd video stream, that is supposed to be the Dolby-specific enhancement layer.
  • is the HDR10 base layer somehow DoVi compatible?
  • when reducing 2-stream DoVi video into 1-stream, did it merge enhancement layer into base layer, as it is supposed to happen inside the player or TV?
If it did not make that step 3) then what is effectively output, reminds me of what DVDFab does. It does not alter the video stream in any way, just tricks the display to switch into DoVi mode, by adding the DoVi metadata.
As I see it, that is not Dolby Vision, just making the logo light up on the screen.
Screenshot 2021-01-04 at 20.16.15.png
Screenshot 2021-01-04 at 20.16.15.png (271.74 KiB) Viewed 17526 times
Screenshot 2021-01-04 at 20.15.04.png
Screenshot 2021-01-04 at 20.15.04.png (657.17 KiB) Viewed 17526 times
tazlord wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:34 am
I'm curious, is the tool actually embedding the DV color information into the BL stream or is it just adding the metadata to the file so that players will think it's a DV video?
G4n0nD0rf wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:32 pm
Am I the only one who wonders where the FEL data has gone to? It seems that only the metadata is preserved but not the full enhancement layer.
I second to these questions.
agneva wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:50 pm
today I tried "DVDFab UHD Ripper" (Demo).
I chose mp4 with DV, I think it has made a DV *.mp4:
matrix revo dv info.png

but my LG TV says "HDR10" - no DV !?

What have I done wrong ?
As I understand it, there is no tool in the hands of public, that is capable of transforming (merging) 2 DoVi streams (profile 7) into a single-stream (profile 5) video. Hence, even if you make Dolby logo light up on screen, you are still watching HDR10 video. PS I also own DVDFab UHD ripper, but now that tsMuxeR can handle all the same tasks, I do not use it that much. Using MP4 container, I also lose the TrueHD Atmos. Just like with Dolby Vision, there are no tools in the hands of public, that could transcode TrueHD Atmos into DD+ Atmos, which can be muxed into MP4 container.

I would love to be taught otherwise.
Meanwhile - I enjoy verbatim blu-ray Dolby Vision with Atmos from makeMKV produced decrypted backups that I remux with tsMuxeR using the latest nightly build. That sets the codec in 2nd video stream to dvhe.07.06 (as seen on the upper left mediainfo screen). My Sony bluray player renders this happily as Dolby vision. If I manage to feed it a profile 5 stream, it handles that as well. These are just so much harder to come by.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

priitv8 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:27 pm
I ripped the MKV out of Dolby UHD demo disc. Original is a classic 2-stream DoVi profile 7.6.
As a result I get from makeMKV a MKV file that has a single-stream video, also tagged as DoVi profile 7.6 stream.
What I do not understand is:
  • what happened to the 2-nd video stream, that is supposed to be the Dolby-specific enhancement layer.
  • is the HDR10 base layer somehow DoVi compatible?
  • when reducing 2-stream DoVi video into 1-stream, did it merge enhancement layer into base layer, as it is supposed to happen inside the player or TV?
If it did not make that step 3) then what is effectively output, reminds me of what DVDFab does. It does not alter the video stream in any way, just tricks the display to switch into DoVi mode, by adding the DoVi metadata.
As I see it, that is not Dolby Vision, just making the logo light up on the screen.
Screenshot 2021-01-04 at 20.16.15.pngScreenshot 2021-01-04 at 20.15.04.png
tazlord wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:34 am
I'm curious, is the tool actually embedding the DV color information into the BL stream or is it just adding the metadata to the file so that players will think it's a DV video?
G4n0nD0rf wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:32 pm
Am I the only one who wonders where the FEL data has gone to? It seems that only the metadata is preserved but not the full enhancement layer.
I second to these questions.
agneva wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:50 pm
today I tried "DVDFab UHD Ripper" (Demo).
I chose mp4 with DV, I think it has made a DV *.mp4:
matrix revo dv info.png

but my LG TV says "HDR10" - no DV !?

What have I done wrong ?
As I understand it, there is no tool in the hands of public, that is capable of transforming (merging) 2 DoVi streams (profile 7) into a single-stream (profile 5) video. Hence, even if you make Dolby logo light up on screen, you are still watching HDR10 video. PS I also own DVDFab UHD ripper, but now that tsMuxeR can handle all the same tasks, I do not use it that much. Using MP4 container, I also lose the TrueHD Atmos. Just like with Dolby Vision, there are no tools in the hands of public, that could transcode TrueHD Atmos into DD+ Atmos, which can be muxed into MP4 container.

I would love to be taught otherwise.
Meanwhile - I enjoy verbatim blu-ray Dolby Vision with Atmos from makeMKV produced decrypted backups that I remux with tsMuxeR using the latest nightly build. That sets the codec in 2nd video stream to dvhe.07.06 (as seen on the upper left mediainfo screen). My Sony bluray player renders this happily as Dolby vision. If I manage to feed it a profile 5 stream, it handles that as well. These are just so much harder to come by.
If you look at your mediainfo screenshot of the resulting mkv file, you'll notice that video track #1 is now labeled as BL+EL+RPU instead of just BL. That's where the enhancement layer (EL) and the metadata has gone (RPU). Makemkv combines both layers (BL, EL) and the metadata onto a single video track. The process does not merge the layers; it merely changes how they're being transported, so all the data in the each respective layer is left in tact. While the EL is still there in the video, no existing device can play them to their full capacity out of an mkv if the EL is a FEL. This certainly is no fault of makemkv, though.
JavierAlbadalejo

Post by JavierAlbadalejo »

ekpen wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:51 pm
Hello:
Kodi dv for shield is available already.
I have Kodi dv now for almost one week.
The link is buried within another link.
Do a search .
Thanks.
George.
I did that, and unfortunately, it doesn't work, always says 'playback error' to me. Sadly it does seem I have to wait til Kodi does it oficially. I have to admit Plex doesn't give me playback issues with DV.. only ONE issue (which is annoying) and that is that the DV/Dolby Atmos banner appears a lot repeteadly throughout the watching.
priitv8

Post by priitv8 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:23 pm
If you look at your mediainfo screenshot of the resulting mkv file, you'll notice that video track #1 is now labeled as BL+EL+RPU instead of just BL. That's where the enhancement layer (EL) and the metadata has gone (RPU). Makemkv combines both layers (BL, EL) and the metadata onto a single video track. The process does not merge the layers; it merely changes how they're being transported, so all the data in the each respective layer is left in tact. While the EL is still there in the video, no existing device can play them to their full capacity out of an mkv if the EL is a FEL. This certainly is no fault of makemkv, though.
If that is the case, then how can the stream still be a profile 7 type? That is the single DoVi profile, which explicitly contains separate EL at 1/4 of pixel resolution? Are you saying, that this has now been somehow embedded into UHD stream?
Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 07.54.37.png
Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 07.54.37.png (166.8 KiB) Viewed 17458 times
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

priitv8 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:05 am
shawnc22 wrote:
If that is the case, then how can the stream still be a profile 7 type? That is the single DoVi profile, which explicitly contains separate EL at 1/4 of pixel resolution? Are you saying, that this has now been somehow embedded into UHD stream?
Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 07.54.37.png
The profile is not determined by how the layers are transported (dual track vs single track, aka dual paid vs single pid), but only whether they are present. Makemkv is merely converting from a dual pid transport stream to a single pid transport stream, without touching any of the data in the individual layers. See pg.14 of this Dolby doc here for more details on pid: https://professional.dolby.com/siteasse ... x-v1.2.pdf
saf001

Post by saf001 »

In layman’s terms is there something that "I" didn't do while backing up and making a mkv file of the two Dolby Vision discs below? Lord of the Rings is the only DV disc makemkv file that works for me using the Plex client on the Sony 950h. All other backups / makemkv files fail and I used the same version of 1.15.3 and more recently re-copy using 1.15.4.

I have to be doing something wrong or a setup. TrueHD is changed to normal ac3/5.1 so know it isn't that. Figured I would ask since I'm still chasing this issue. Only DV that works for me is the LoTR sets. Go figure.

LotR - works via Sony 950h client:
Media
Duration 2:58:25
Bitrate 57006 kbps
Width 3840
Height 2160
Aspect Ratio 1.78
Video Resolution 4K
Container MKV
Video Frame Rate 24p
Video Profile main 10
Part
Duration 2:58:25
File The Lord of the Rings- The Fellowship of the Ring-FPL_MainFeature_t00.mkv
Size 71.06 GB
Container MKV
Has Thumbnail 1
Video Profile main 10
Codec HEVC
Bitrate 53483 kbps
Language English
D O V I B L Compat I D 6
D O V I B L Present true
D O V I E L Present true
D O V I Level 6
D O V I Present true
D O V I Profile 7
D O V I R P U Present true
D O V I Version 1.0
Bit Depth 10
Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
Coded Height 2160
Coded Width 3840
Color Primaries bt2020
Color Range tv
Color Space bt2020nc
Color Trc smpte2084
Frame Rate 23.976 fps
Height 2160
Level 5.1
Profile main 10
Ref Frames 1
Width 3840
Display Title 4K (HEVC Main 10 HDR)
Extended Display Title 4K (HEVC Main 10 HDR)
lotr-works.JPG
lotr-works.JPG (179.09 KiB) Viewed 17387 times

Does not work:
Media
Duration 1:56:02
Bitrate 83549 kbps
Width 3840
Height 2160
Aspect Ratio 1.78
Video Resolution 4K
Container MKV
Video Frame Rate 24p
Video Profile main 10
Part
Duration 1:56:02
File Back_to_the_Future.mkv
Size 67.72 GB
Container MKV
Has Thumbnail 1
Video Profile main 10
Codec HEVC
Bitrate 82717 kbps
Language English
D O V I B L Compat I D 6
D O V I B L Present true
D O V I E L Present true
D O V I Level 6
D O V I Present true
D O V I Profile 7
D O V I R P U Present true
D O V I Version 1.0
Bit Depth 10
Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
Coded Height 2160
Coded Width 3840
Color Primaries bt2020
Color Range tv
Color Space bt2020nc
Color Trc smpte2084
Frame Rate 23.976 fps
Height 2160
Level 5.1
Profile main 10
Ref Frames 1
Width 3840
Display Title 4K (HEVC Main 10 HDR)
Extended Display Title 4K (HEVC Main 10 HDR)
dv-notwork.JPG
dv-notwork.JPG (165.23 KiB) Viewed 17387 times
AndreasT

Post by AndreasT »

Back to the Future seems to be a DV FEL release, while LotR seems to be a MEL release according to this thread https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.ph ... st16884278.

Most players I've read doesn't play nice with FEL.

Use your Back to the Future disk as the source, and check out my post here https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 97#p103162 . Maybe you can go through making the test files and see which ones plays on your TV. If you do, please make a post of your result in that thread, I'm sure others with that TV would appreciate.

EDIT: Here is a post with some good DV information. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.ph ... st16884278
saf001

Post by saf001 »

Thanks. I think that is what I didn't know. DV FEL vs MEL. I will go read the threads you listed. Appreciate it.

So far the Sony 950H plex app will play the LoTR movies after I change audio from True HD. The picture quality is amazing and I'm glad I spent the time redoing all of my DV titles. However as I posted none of my other disc copies work. Back to the Future, Jaws, etc. With your suggestion I will see if it is a MEL vs FEL thing. If so I am expecting those that not work be FEL tagged. Should be easy to see if so.

Thanks again and will update threads accordingly. Have a great day!
morbius

Post by morbius »

The Shield tube is playing mkv rips of BTTF 1-3 and Jaws in DV via Plex in my system with passthrough HD audio to my Marantz AVR. But Plex is very moody, eg this evening it could hardly start Gladiator in DV, then after a couple of re-starts it was fine. Have also been successful with all other DV rips I tried.
aboulfad

Post by aboulfad »

shawnc22 wrote:
I noticed that when makemkv 1.15.4 opens a BDMV it correctly lists the EL type: FEL or MEL, but when that disc is processed to an .mkv it shows only EL (BL+EL+RPU). Not sure if it has any bearing on anything. Sadly that .mkv plays as HDR (not DV) on Oppo UDP-203, not sure if the latter support DV through .mkv or not.
Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 8.56.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 8.56.51 AM.png (36.73 KiB) Viewed 17286 times
Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 8.57.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 8.57.14 AM.png (33.48 KiB) Viewed 17286 times
Mediainfo output:

Code: Select all

mediainfo MARVEL\'S\ BLACK\ PANTHER.mkv 
Writing library                          : libmakemkv v1.15.4 (1.3.10/1.5.2) darwin(x64-release)

Video
ID                                       : 1
ID in the original source medium         : 4113 (0x1011)
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
[Oppo UDP-203, ATV 4K] —> Anthem MRX-720 —> LG OLED65E7P
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

aboulfad wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:03 pm
I noticed that when makemkv 1.15.4 opens a BDMV it correctly lists the EL type: FEL or MEL, but when that disc is processed to an .mkv it shows only EL (BL+EL+RPU). Not sure if it has any bearing on anything. Sadly that .mkv plays as HDR (not DV) on Oppo UDP-203, not sure if the latter support DV through .mkv or not.
MediaInfo doesn't differentiate the different EL types.
aboulfad

Post by aboulfad »

quietvoid wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:49 pm
MediaInfo doesn't differentiate the different EL types.
thank you, then I guess the stock Oppo UDP-203 maybe doesn't support single track double layer DV in .mkv. I'll try m2ts next which some users claimed success.
[Oppo UDP-203, ATV 4K] —> Anthem MRX-720 —> LG OLED65E7P
priitv8

Post by priitv8 »

aboulfad wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:01 pm
I'll try m2ts next which some users claimed success.
For me the success came specifically with tsMuxeR nightly, after simply remuxing the tracks.