Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
phneutral

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.3

Post by phneutral »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:33 pm
phneutral wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:14 pm
I actually tried your method 1 - that's why I mentioned the iso - it doesn't work. I will try Yusecope's tool. Even if those workarounds do work, it seems rather at odds with the OP, no?
when you open your mounted iso (not mkv) in makemkv, does it not detect DV at all?
maybe this is where i'm going wrong, iso won't open from MakeMKV:

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.15.3 win(x64-release) started
The program can't find any usable optical drives.
Using direct disc access mode
AACS directory not present, assuming unencrypted disc
Evaluation version, 30 day(s) out of 30 remaining
Title #00000.m2ts was skipped
Failed to open disc
I can only open it in mkvtoolnix where I'm able to convert the m2ts to MKV. When I open the MKV in MakeMKV I see nothing about DV.

When I mount ISO to drive F, the option to open disc in MakeMKV is greyed out
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

phneutral wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:39 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:33 pm
phneutral wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:14 pm

I actually tried your method 1 - that's why I mentioned the iso - it doesn't work. I will try Yusecope's tool. Even if those workarounds do work, it seems rather at odds with the OP, no?
when you open your mounted iso (not mkv) in makemkv, does it not detect DV at all?
maybe this is where i'm going wrong, iso won't open from MakeMKV:

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.15.3 win(x64-release) started
The program can't find any usable optical drives.
Using direct disc access mode
AACS directory not present, assuming unencrypted disc
Evaluation version, 30 day(s) out of 30 remaining
Title #00000.m2ts was skipped
Failed to open disc
I can only open it in mkvtoolnix where I'm able to convert the m2ts to MKV. When I open the MKV in MakeMKV I see nothing about DV.

When I mount ISO to drive F, the option to open disc in MakeMKV is greyed out
Yeah that's not going to work. Mkvtoolsnix can't create DV compliant mkvs, and you basically just recreated your initial mkv by processing your iso with mkvtoolsnix. I'm not sure why makemkv won't open the iso directly or the mounted disc, but I'm guessing something is off in the iso creation process. You can try creating a Blu-ray folder instead with tsmuxer, but the best bet would still probably be to go back to the original disc and rerip.
phneutral

Post by phneutral »

Yep that seems by far the easiest option, it's just the first post of this thread and several after say to run ffmpeg or mkvtoolnix

e.g from Mike:
Read the first message in this topic :)

You don't need tsmuxer, nad you don't need ISO file. Just use ffmpeg or mkvtoolnix, then MakeMKV 1.15.3.
hence the confusion. Just trying to make sense of it, seems I'm not the only one who can't get this working. Thanks
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

phneutral wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:52 pm
Yep that seems by far the easiest option, it's just the first post of this thread and several after say to run ffmpeg or mkvtoolnix

e.g from Mike:
Read the first message in this topic :)

You don't need tsmuxer, nad you don't need ISO file. Just use ffmpeg or mkvtoolnix, then MakeMKV 1.15.3.
hence the confusion. Just trying to make sense of it, seems I'm not the only one who can't get this working. Thanks
Right, and the couple posts right after that showed that it doesn't really work if you start with an mkv that contains the original BL and EL layers in separate tracks. I'm not sure if it's supposed to or if it's just a bug, but it doesn't seem to be the case at the moment. Although, if the method listed in mike's OP works for DV mp4's that likely also has the BL and EL layers in separate tracks, then it should theoretically work for an mkv that has the same structure as well. So maybe try the exact steps outlined in the first post and see how it turns out? The method to create these mkvs in the first place is a bit unorthodox (assuming decrypted folder backup -> mkvtoolsnix to manually select both video tracks), so could be just a ymmv kind of situation.
Digital moe

Post by Digital moe »

I have to hand it to you Mike, 1.15.3 is something else. I had two copies of Mission Impossible Fallout and neither of them would even get to the ripping stage. I decided to downgrade, couldn't find 1.15.2 so I tried 1.15.1 and managed to rip it, very slowly took well over an hour. I then installed 1.15.3 opened the file ran it through that, popped the new file on to my Plex server and Dolby Vision working. Woohoo.

Makes paying for MakeMKV so worth it.
Digital moe

Post by Digital moe »

Just tested They Live, which I ripped in either 1.15.1 or .2 and then used MKVToolNixs to add the commentary track from the Blu-ray. I ran it through 1.15.3 and like magic it now plays in Dolby Vision.
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

Plex Server (1.20.3.3401) can detect DV in mkv files
Re-Analyze file to get this info
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

lexyz wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:47 am
Plex Server (1.20.3.3401) can detect DV in mkv files
Re-Analyze file to get this info
Thanks for this. I had rescanned my library but not analysed the individual files. I see the DV metadata now.
G4n0nD0rf

Post by G4n0nD0rf »

When remuxing an mkv with a DV FEL as a secondary video track, the resulting file is several GB smaller than the original. The difference in size is roughly the same as the size of the original second video track according to MediaInfo. How is this possible? Where has the FEL data gone? MakeMKV recognizes both the input as the output file as dvhe.07.06 BL+REL+RPU.
jlpsvk

Post by jlpsvk »

MediaInfo change log:

Version 20.09, 2020-10-09
-------------
+ Dolby ED2: full featured support (presentations, presentation targets, beds, objects)
+ MKV: support of Dolby Vision metadata
+ MXF: detection of Dolby E hidden in PCM tracks having more than 2 channels
+ WAV: detection of Dolby E hidden in PCM tracks having more than 2 channels
+ CineForm: display of color space (including Bayer), bit depth
x WAV: more precise sample count
x SMPTE ST 337: catch of streams starting later than usual (probing increased from 4 to 16 PCM "frames")
x PNG: detection of additional alpha plane in color space
x MXF: detection of additional alpha plane in color space
x AVI: detection of additional alpha plane in color space
x MPEG Audio: was wrongly flagging Xing info tag as CBR
x VorbisTag: does not skip DISCID
x Miscellaneous bug/crash fixes
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Perfect. We're pretty close to complete on tools for this now. The golden age of DV is upon us. Now if the shield can fix the remaining issues (if they can be fixed) then we really will be golden.
jlpsvk

Post by jlpsvk »

Yes... but I would love to see the way to create dvhe.05.06 BL+RPU (yousesope's tool mode2) to MKV... :)
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Jeeze, you want it to serve breakfast in the morning, too? :D LOL! Just kidding. Yea, I think we'll see an evolution of things over the next few months as issues are found and fixed and new things are uncovered. We're at the beginning here.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

jlpsvk wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:01 pm
Yes... but I would love to see the way to create dvhe.05.06 BL+RPU (yousesope's tool mode2) to MKV... :)
what you really want is a player that is able to remux on the fly it to that. i.e. plex would do a "transcode" (as its not a direct remux, but relatively close). i.e. the content should always be the most bit for bit copy, but the player should be able to throw away the parts it doesn't care about. One can compare it to DTS HD which has a core track and the "extra", if one can't decode the extra, one still has the core and just throws away the extra. I'd want the same to happen here.

though, I do enjoy watching the free Noir versions of all my Dolby Vision Rips on my Bravia.
manuelrn

Post by manuelrn »

mike admin wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:13 pm
MakeMKV now can open all 4, extract the raw bitstream and produce a proper DV MKV file. So most of the time workflow would be:

.mp4 -> mkvmerge -> crappy_mkv -> makemkv -> DV_MKV -> mkvmerge -> HEVC_MKV -> makemkv -> DV_MKV
MKVToolNix (v49 and higher) is supposedly capable of generating MKV files keeping the Dolby Vision data previously created by MakeMKV.

However, you indicate that if a MKV file with Dolby Vision is passed through MKVToolNix, it will no longer have Dolby Vision because you indicate that this new MKV file from MKVToolNix must be passed again through MakeMKV.

Is this correct?
So MKVToolNix is not working quite right completely?

I don't fully understand it since MKVToolNix really does preserve that data, since otherwise the video track would have a much smaller size.
So the real problem is that MKVToolNix doesn't keep this data well identified, or something like that?

mike admin wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:07 pm
Rumourd wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:31 am
What if you used 1.15.1 and later? Will it work then?
Yes.

1.15.0 - DV discarded
1.15.1 - DV bitstream preserved when opening BD disc. Discarded if source is MKV file. A bug - DV bitstream is (slightly and reversibly) corrupted. No MKV DV metadata.
1.15.2 - DV bitstream preserved when opening BD disc. Discarded if source is MKV file. No bitstream corruption bug. Full MKV DV metadata.
1.15.3 - DV bitstream preserved when opening all sources. DV metadata ignored in source container, full MKV DV metadata always reconstructed from bitstream. Corrupted bitstream produced by 1.15.1 is recognized and repaired. DV bitstreams with invalid codec IDs (V_QUICKTIME and V_MS_FOURCC/DVHE) produced by mkvtoolnix and ffmpeg are properly recognized.
And in this other message, I see that you again indicate something similar to my suspicions.

Thank you very much for all your time and your fantastic work.
Regards!