Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Rumourd

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.3

Post by Rumourd »

PSUHammer wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:46 pm
Rumourd wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:01 pm
I'm not sure it's a Plex issue. I re-ripped "HALLOWEEN (1978)". MakeMKV recognized the dual-layer dvhe 7.06 after decrypting.

I then checked the newly-ripped MKV in MediaInfo, and there is no Dolby Vision found, only basic HDR10. Same with running prior DV rips (MKV files, ripped in 1.15.2).
Plex and MediaInfo need to be updated to work properly. Plex uses a modified version of Google's ExoPlayer (at least the Android TV version does). I believe ExoPlayer now supports MKV DV metadata but Plex would need to update their branch. I am sure MediaInfo's next release will also properly show the metadata of your new MKV rips.
MediaInfo's latest update currently DOES display DV info, from the DV demo files I downloaded from the LG site. Unfortunately, it does not report that my 1.15.3 MakeMKV rips are retaining the DV, it's still reporting basic HDR. Does this have anything to do with the dvhe.07.06 being dual layer and MakeMKV can't convert that to single layer for Plex streaming? Because you're correct that when re-importing the ripped file back into MakeMKV, it sees the dvhe.07.06...
jlpsvk

Post by jlpsvk »

one question. :)

can i demux tracks with tsMuxer, create and edit tracks, mux to MKV with mkvtoolnix, (track1 HEVC VIDEO LAYER, track2 HEVC DV LAYER, track3 AUDIO,track4 SUBS) and then run through MakeMKV to join track 1 and 2 to single track dual-layer DV MKV?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Rumourd wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:14 pm
PSUHammer wrote:
Rumourd wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:01 pm
I'm not sure it's a Plex issue. I re-ripped "HALLOWEEN (1978)". MakeMKV recognized the dual-layer dvhe 7.06 after decrypting.

I then checked the newly-ripped MKV in MediaInfo, and there is no Dolby Vision found, only basic HDR10. Same with running prior DV rips (MKV files, ripped in 1.15.2).
Plex and MediaInfo need to be updated to work properly. Plex uses a modified version of Google's ExoPlayer (at least the Android TV version does). I believe ExoPlayer now supports MKV DV metadata but Plex would need to update their branch. I am sure MediaInfo's next release will also properly show the metadata of your new MKV rips.
MediaInfo's latest update currently DOES display DV info, from the DV demo files I downloaded from the LG site. Unfortunately, it does not report that my 1.15.3 MakeMKV rips are retaining the DV, it's still reporting basic HDR. Does this have anything to do with the dvhe.07.06 being dual layer and MakeMKV can't convert that to single layer for Plex streaming? Because you're correct that when re-importing the ripped file back into MakeMKV, it sees the dvhe.07.06...
You're not understanding us. Yes, MediaInfo does pick up DV, but it's currently unable to in MKV files. It can do so in other containers such as MP4 and TS/M2TS (LG Demo), but it has not been updated to read the DV metadata in MKV files.
Rumourd

Post by Rumourd »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:08 am
Rumourd wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:14 pm
PSUHammer wrote:

You're not understanding us. Yes, MediaInfo does pick up DV, but it's currently unable to in MKV files. It can do so in other containers such as MP4 and TS/M2TS (LG Demo), but it has not been updated to read the DV metadata in MKV files.
Ohhhh ok, thank you.
Fuluer

Post by Fuluer »

Fuluer wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:39 pm
Using an old version of MakeMKV, I used to backup my disks, and then use MKVtoolnix to create an MKV with both video streams embedded. The videos have always played fine, though without DV.

I now have Shield/Kodi/Exoplayer setup, and can play the newer MKVs from 1.15.2+

But when I try and open one of my older MKV's with MakeMKV 1.15.3, only the BL is detected.

What would be the correct workflow to convert the older MKVs to the new format without lossy transcoding?
So after a bit of experimentation, I confirmed that if I use tsmuxer-4.06 to create a blu-ray.iso using just the video tracks, Makemkv 1.15.3 will convert that iso to a proper DV MKV. Then I add that mkv and the original mkv to mkvtoolnix, and get a working DV MKV with atmos, PGS subs, chapters, etc.

Couple questions -
1) Is tsmuxer-4.06 necessary, or should I use another version to maintain maximum information? I know there are several versions of tsmuxer for DV, but I'm not savvy to the differences. Should I just use the latest nightly?
2) tsmuxer takes a long time and doesn't support queuing. Is there a way to get the same result faster using another workflow?
zomorf

Post by zomorf »

Hi,

Just curious if both these match Original and MKV I'm guessing all should be good... Is the (bracket stuff) the important bits so if both are the same from original and MKV good to go? Also GREAT work... by ALL involved...

Track information
Type: Video
Codec: MpegH HEVC Main10@L5.1 (dvhe.07.06 BL+FEL+RPU)
Resolution: 3840x2160
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Frame rate: 23.976 (24000/1001)
Output format: Copy as is ( Lossless conversion )
Output description: Copy track as is
lata
zomorf
xian1sheng1

Post by xian1sheng1 »

Which players support these dual-layer Dolby Vision MKVs?
I just tried making an MKV from the Matrix UHD and playing it via the LG Plex app on my LG OLED and it played in HDR10.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Fuluer wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:53 am
1) Is tsmuxer-4.06 necessary, or should I use another version to maintain maximum information? I know there are several versions of tsmuxer for DV, but I'm not savvy to the differences. Should I just use the latest nightly?
2) tsmuxer takes a long time and doesn't support queuing. Is there a way to get the same result faster using another workflow?
Read the first message in this topic :)

You don't need tsmuxer, nad you don't need ISO file. Just use ffmpeg or mkvtoolnix, then MakeMKV 1.15.3.
oldirtydog

Post by oldirtydog »

mike admin wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:35 am
Fuluer wrote:

You don't need tsmuxer, nad you don't need ISO file. Just use ffmpeg or mkvtoolnix, then MakeMKV 1.15.3.
Can you explain what to do with mkvtoolnix for FEL Dolby vision movies ? Idont understand ffmpeg so please tell me how to convert FEL DV movies with mkvtoolnix.
Fuluer

Post by Fuluer »

mike admin wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:35 am
Fuluer wrote:

Hi Mike,

I did try running my old MKVs through MKVtoolnix again, but MakeMKV still wouldn't recognize the EL. I'm sure if I'd run the video tracks against yusesope's tool, and then tried MakeMKV, it would work. But as is, MakeMKV doesn't detect the 2nd video stream from my MKVs.

I haven't tried the ffmpeg MKV to MKV option yet. Do you think that would do the trick? You mentioned that it could cause information loss in some files.

Thanks
NickNickNick

Post by NickNickNick »

If I understood the process correctly. You just open up makeMKV and open up old files and they should fix themselves if they are new enough.
I am now patiently waiting for Plex to update so I can use this on my shield.
jlpsvk

Post by jlpsvk »

Right now, I can encode in 2160p with Dolby Vision preserved.

I am wondering, that if Dolby docs says that for FHD, there is 1:1 BL:EL, if i can resize BL 3840x2160 to 1920x1080, then BL:EL will be 1:1 and should work.. opinions?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Fuluer wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:51 pm
I did try running my old MKVs through MKVtoolnix again, but MakeMKV still wouldn't recognize the EL.
MakeMKV 1.15.3 ? If yes, please cut a 5-10 seconds with mkvtoolnix and send the resulting (small) MKV file to support@makemkv.com (probably using some file sharing service). I'll check...
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Rumourd wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:31 am
What if you used 1.15.1 and later? Will it work then?
Yes.

1.15.0 - DV discarded
1.15.1 - DV bitstream preserved when opening BD disc. Discarded if source is MKV file. A bug - DV bitstream is (slightly and reversibly) corrupted. No MKV DV metadata.
1.15.2 - DV bitstream preserved when opening BD disc. Discarded if source is MKV file. No bitstream corruption bug. Full MKV DV metadata.
1.15.3 - DV bitstream preserved when opening all sources. DV metadata ignored in source container, full MKV DV metadata always reconstructed from bitstream. Corrupted bitstream produced by 1.15.1 is recognized and repaired. DV bitstreams with invalid codec IDs (V_QUICKTIME and V_MS_FOURCC/DVHE) produced by mkvtoolnix and ffmpeg are properly recognized.
Fuluer

Post by Fuluer »

mike admin wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:55 pm
Fuluer wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:51 pm
I did try running my old MKVs through MKVtoolnix again, but MakeMKV still wouldn't recognize the EL.
MakeMKV 1.15.3 ? If yes, please cut a 5-10 seconds with mkvtoolnix and send the resulting (small) MKV file to support@makemkv.com (probably using some file sharing service). I'll check...
My files are probably corner cases due to the way I used to backup movies. The iso method as an intermediate step has worked reliably for me so far, and at this rate they'll all have fixed DV in the next 24 hours :)

Thanks again for all your work on this terrific software!