Post by daddy »

From my mp4 of the hunt for red october the DV should be MEL (792kbps / 2%) :

Code: Select all

Vidéo #2
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Profil du format                         : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Identifiant du codec                     : dvhe
Identifiant du codec/Info                : High Efficiency Video Coding with Dolby Vision
Durée                                    : 2 h 15 min
Débit                                    : 792 kb/s
Largeur                                  : 1 920 pixels
Hauteur                                  : 1 080 pixels
Format à l'écran                         : 16/9
Type d'images/s                          : Constant
Images par seconde                       : 23,976 (24000/1001) Im/s
Espace de couleurs                       : YUV
Sous-échantillonnage de la chrominance   : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Profondeur des couleurs                  : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Image)                       : 0.016
Taille du flux                           : 765 Mio (2%)
Default                                  : Non
Date d'encodage                          : UTC 2019-04-01 17:28:01
Date de marquage                         : UTC 2019-04-01 17:28:01
Gamme de couleurs                        : Limited
Coordonnées de chromaticité              : BT.2020
Caractéristiques du transfert            : PQ
Coefficients de la matrice               : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Codec configuration box                  : hvcC+dvcC
From: https://professional.dolby.com/siteasse ... rkflow.pdf
Last edited by daddy on Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
spezi

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.3

Post by spezi »

If you look at 00222.mpls or 00003.m2ts you can see two streams: video #1 (3860x2160) and video #2 (1920x1080).
So the UHD has a dual track dual level file - dolby vision.
You can demux the second video stream with tsMuxer and look into with a video player. There are pictures in the stream, not only flat areas.

So MakeMKV shows dvhe.07.06 BL+FEL+RPU. It has a FEL.
Last edited by spezi on Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
daddy

Post by daddy »

spezi wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:44 pm
If you look at 00222.mpls or 00003.m21ts you can see two streams: video #1 (3860x2160) and video #2 (1920x1080).
So the UHD has a dual track dual level file - dolby vision.
You can demux the second video stream with tsMuxer and look into with a video player. There are pictures in the stream, not only flat areas.

So MakeMKV shows dvhe.07.06 BL+FEL+RPU. It has a FEL.
You are right
The dv image is not full grey and not equal to 0.

From https://professional.dolby.com/siteasse ... rkflow.pdf, it's a FEL DV.
truthy

Post by truthy »

I just tested dv playback of a GOT episode on my qnap nas via plex and a Fire TV 4K stick on my LG C8LLA. DV is triggered but it seems to be FEL so I only get a black screen. After some research and testing I found out that the stick only supports MEL Dolby Vision - the other DV-Test files play just fine. Is there a way to convert FEL to MEL of the finished mkv or the source so that the Fire-TV stick can play DV? I tried muxing the finished dv-mkv back to mp4 to play it directly via usb on my tv, but it only triggers hdr not dv. I guess you would need the original 2 video streams and the dv mp4muxer for that to work.
Donpoku

Post by Donpoku »

truthy wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:22 am
I just tested dv playback of a GOT episode on my qnap nas via plex and a Fire TV 4K stick on my LG C8LLA. DV is triggered but it seems to be FEL so I only get a black screen. After some research and testing I found out that the stick only supports MEL Dolby Vision - the other DV-Test files play just fine. Is there a way to convert FEL to MEL of the finished mkv or the source so that the Fire-TV stick can play DV? I tried muxing the finished dv-mkv back to mp4 to play it directly via usb on my tv, but it only triggers hdr not dv. I guess you would need the original 2 video streams and the dv mp4muxer for that to work.
Dude, the thread below this has the steps, you need to read and do a little research before asking questions it makes you look lazy...
truthy

Post by truthy »

Donpoku wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:23 am
Dude, the thread below this has the steps, you need to read and do a little research before asking questions it makes you look lazy...
I've reread this entire thread and still couldn't find it. I assume your vague answer refers to the Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux thread. 244 Pages 3652 Posts at the moment. Sry but I have to say your answer doesn't help me at all. After quite some digging I think i finally found it.

yusesopes FEL TO MEL Tool:
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 970#p96282
PlatypusW

Post by PlatypusW »

truthy wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:18 pm
I've reread this entire thread and still couldn't find it. I assume your vague answer refers to the Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux thread. 244 Pages 3652 Posts at the moment. Sry but I have to say your answer doesn't help me at all. After quite some digging I think i finally found it.

yusesopes FEL TO MEL Tool:
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 970#p96282
Yes though you may want to try Gamma as a few of us have had some problems with specific titles using makemkv after using beta to do FEL to Mel conversion.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 360#p97878
truthy

Post by truthy »

Thx it's working. The Fire stick 4K can play the MEL-DoVi now, Im leaving it in a TS-Container for now.
supergoopinator

Post by supergoopinator »

Sorry in advance. Fairly novice user here. I've got some mkv remux's with 2 streams, 4k video and 1080p DV. Would this update mean they can convert in to a single stream? Would that look bad if played on an non DV tv?

My goal is to take these remuxed mkv files and compress them to a friendlier file size (I only know handbrake for this so far). Just wondering if it's possible to retain DV while doing that as an option for a viewer with a DV display, but not interfering if someone's tv was not DV. Thanks!
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

supergoopinator wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:41 pm
Sorry in advance. Fairly novice user here. I've got some mkv remux's with 2 streams, 4k video and 1080p DV. Would this update mean they can convert in to a single stream? Would that look bad if played on an non DV tv?

My goal is to take these remuxed mkv files and compress them to a friendlier file size (I only know handbrake for this so far). Just wondering if it's possible to retain DV while doing that as an option for a viewer with a DV display, but not interfering if someone's tv was not DV. Thanks!
Hi, you do not say what your delivery device is?
If you convert these they will play in HDR10 from The Shield Pro 2019 on a non Dolby Vision TV,
Via Plex on the Shield Pro 2019 they should play in Dolby Vision.
With a different device it will depend on if they are MEL or FEL...
Someone on another thread is trialling compression of Dolby Vision files, it is way beyond a novice.

Personally I will buy more storage, Dolby Vision should be in all its splendour.
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:15 am
Personally I will buy more storage, Dolby Vision should be in all its splendour.
This. Nevermind the time and effort to reencode. I have better things to do with my life.
crossovertm

Post by crossovertm »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:15 am
supergoopinator wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:41 pm

Hi, you do not say what your delivery device is?
If you convert these they will play in HDR10 from The Shield Pro 2019 on a non Dolby Vision TV,
Via Plex on the Shield Pro 2019 they should play in Dolby Vision.
With a different device it will depend on if they are MEL or FEL...
Someone on another thread is trialling compression of Dolby Vision files, it is way beyond a novice.

Which hardware is better to play dolby vision FEL? apple tv 4k, LG OLED, new google chromecrast doesnt work... do i need to buy nvidia shield pro? :(
Rivdoric

Post by Rivdoric »

Hullo there, newcomer here :) !

Thanks to makemkv now extracting DV, i'm on the verge of purchasing my first 4K TV to play these.
However, this being my first android tv experience overall, i'd like to make no mistakes and understand the actual possibilities and impossibilities.

I see a lot of you talking about Plex.
However, i don't think it will be of any use to me because i don't own any nas/synology and, if i am correct, plex needs an external transcoder.

What i'm looking for is "simply", to put these mkv dv files on usb stick/hdd to TV and play them with an app on android tv.
The MP4 "old" solution if of no use to me because i need both DV and Atmos.

So far, all i could find is a modified exoplayer to use with kodi to play said files, but it seems very precary

Would anyone kindly tell me if this is the only possible solution now or if i am missing something ?
If i do, please accept my apologies, because i really read the whole thread lol :(
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

Rivdoric wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:18 pm
I see a lot of you talking about Plex.
However, i don't think it will be of any use to me because i don't own any nas/synology and, if i am correct, plex needs an external transcoder.
Plex doesn't need an 'external transcoder' at all. If transcoding is required, Plex will do it on whatever hardware you run Plex Media Server on.

It does need a 'server' though. The Nvidia Shield TV Pro, for example, can act as a Plex server and you can plug USB drives into the Shield.

Others use a NAS or a PC as their server.
Last edited by Mr_Orange on Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I run a Plex server on a Raspberry Pi 4 with an external USB drive for storage. It does Direct Play of 4K stuff just fine.