Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Cannikin

Re: Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Post by Cannikin »

We’re getting off topic but anyone look into backing up to the cloud? AWS Deep Glacier is down to $1 per terabyte per month! The costs get you if you ever need to get that data OUT of storage. That ends up being like $30 per terabyte.

I’ve got a little less than a terabyte backing up there now in photos. Haven’t pulled the trigger on putting my movies up there. I’m running RAID 6 (survives two drive failures) on my NAS and still have all the discs, but one house fire and everything is gone.
PaulCB

Post by PaulCB »

Trickyd-1 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:32 pm
Thanks for your post, it's full of useful info, particularly the part about Plex. I think I will leave the pause in as it seems to me that it's is merited for artistic reasons.
Yeah, if you want a reminder to take a pee break, sure. But there are no 'artistic' reason for the break in the movie. This isn't like Gandhi or or other old movies where they had a theatrical break. It is only there for the technical reason that the movie couldn't fit on a single disc without being overly compressed.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Cannikin wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:49 am
We’re getting off topic but anyone look into backing up to the cloud? AWS Deep Glacier is down to $1 per terabyte per month! The costs get you if you ever need to get that data OUT of storage. That ends up being like $30 per terabyte.

I’ve got a little less than a terabyte backing up there now in photos. Haven’t pulled the trigger on putting my movies up there. I’m running RAID 6 (survives two drive failures) on my NAS and still have all the discs, but one house fire and everything is gone.
Just buy a fireproof safe and throw all your discs or backup NAS in there :lol:
starfighter2072

Post by starfighter2072 »

hey guys i stumbled on this forum trying to find a solution to a problem im currently facing. I want to be able to play these remuxes on the internal player of the LG Oled C9 with dolby vision. The internal player of the tv only playes dual layered dolby vision (MEL) remuxes in a mp4 container without lossless audio. It does not play single layer dolby vision files (FEL) and the current releases from major groups are single layer dv. I dont have an atmos setup so 5.1 audio is fine for me but i would like to be able to watch the movies in dolby vision. Will these movies be coming out in mp4 container with dolby vision or will i have to get a nvidia shield pro tv to be able to watch these in DV? Cant use atmos anyway so i dont want to spend 200$ just for DV. Thanks for the help.
Trickyd-1

Post by Trickyd-1 »

PaulCB wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:53 am
Trickyd-1 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:32 pm
Thanks for your post, it's full of useful info, particularly the part about Plex. I think I will leave the pause in as it seems to me that it's is merited for artistic reasons.
Yeah, if you want a reminder to take a pee break, sure. But there are no 'artistic' reason for the break in the movie. This isn't like Gandhi or or other old movies where they had a theatrical break. It is only there for the technical reason that the movie couldn't fit on a single disc without being overly compressed.
Yes you're quite right but I will leave it as I don't mind it and would rather not disturb the streams by cutting them.

Edit. Just tried cutting the two towers together and although you can achieve a seamless video cut, the sound is not right.
Basically the sound is still fading out during the blank screen so when cut together the sound from the first scene abruptly ends and it sounds sh!t.
Last edited by Trickyd-1 on Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trickyd-1

Post by Trickyd-1 »

NickNickNick wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:42 am
Is each extended movie around 200Gbs merged?
With the files stored on NTFS I have:
Fellowship of the ring - 113GB
Two towers - 107GB
Return of the king - 126GB
mhalter81

Post by mhalter81 »

I can confirm this just worked with the 1080p versions! I split the first part at 1:45:38 and split the second at 00:00:02 and then stitched them back together and it worked, seamless transition!

It's possible that a couple of frames on either side of the cut were removed...I'll have to play back the originals in a player that shows frame count, or import into Davinci Resolve and get them there, then do a more accurate cut.
Once the 4K ones come this week I'll try again and make sure that DV and DA are preserved and then report back.
[/quote]

I can confirm Dolby Vision and Atmos work after cut and merge.
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

mhalter81 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:11 pm
I can confirm Dolby Vision and Atmos work after cut and merge.
:o Now just waiting for my discs to come! Amazon says Thursday...
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Ripping mine as we speak. I can hear my NAS crying already. I may have to move some stuff to the external storage attached to the NAS for now. This is going to be epically huge. The week of Xmas can't come fast enough cause that's when I'll be watching them all.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

SOOOOO mad right now. Went to rip two towers....um, yea, about that. NO DISCS in the box!!! WTF?! I've never had that happen.
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:17 pm
SOOOOO mad right now. Went to rip two towers....um, yea, about that. NO DISCS in the box!!! WTF?! I've never had that happen.
Whatttttt so you got the case and everything but the spindle holders are just empty??
bendak

Post by bendak »

Good to hear DV still works fine when merging the files. I don’t think I will be trimming the black space in between though. I kinda like the breaking point due to how the music fades out.

Also looks like Amazon just updated my delivery date from TODAY to... Saturday. This is my thanks for preordering on day 1. :roll:
Obl918

Post by Obl918 »

Anybody else getting MEDIUM ERRORS right out of the box on any of their discs?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Cannikin wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:26 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:17 pm
Whatttttt so you got the case and everything but the spindle holders are just empty??
Yea. And ONLY two towers. I checked all the other discs including the hobbit. None of the 3 discs for two towers is in the case. How the hell does that even happen??? And to make this even worse, they are sold out of it so I can't even get a replacement. They're going to have to find a way to make this one right cause I'm NOT giving up this set without a guaranteed replacement and they ARE going to get me those 3 missing discs.
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

I wasn't able to get parts 1 or 2 of The Hobbit extended editions to decrypt so I send in the dump files this morning, but the 3rd part ripped just fine. <shrug>