Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
austinalex23

Re: Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Post by austinalex23 »

I managed to back up all the LOTR extended discs with the exception of Fellowship disc 2. Backup keeps failing with a hash check error about 1/3 through. The drive starts making some "clicking" type noises, and the disc looks scuffed up after I finally kill MakeMKV because it won't cancel the job. I've tried it a handful of times, cleaning it each time. Think I'm done with that.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Trickyd-1 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:12 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:35 pm
iamlilysdad wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:28 pm
I am trying to create .ts backups of these while maintaining Dolby Vision and TrueHD/Atmos.

Using the steps in https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... start=1305 I am not able to maintain TrueHD/Atmos. The audio track defaults to AC3 and does not playback in lossless Atmos.

Dolby Vision is maintained. Atmos is also maintained when I rip an MKV from the disc. I can playback the MKV using Plex on my SHIELD Pro without issues. I want .ts files for compatibility with other devices.

Has anyone else tried this and had success?

You can see the differences in the output files from tsmuxer after creating the .ts and the mkv created with makemkv (screenshot 101 is tsmuxer, screenshot 102 is the mkv created with makemkv). The audio track is taken from full disc backup. I also tried using eac3to to rip the audio track from the makemkv and remux it using tsmuxer. The results have been the same no matter what I try.
Have you tried selecting a different audio track with your TS files in Plex? The AC3 core will be defaulted to, yes, but you should be able to select the TrueHD track as well. It's obviously in there according to the mediainfo.
Mkv does not store thd+core as an interleaved thd track. It stores a thd track and if you select it it will store the core as an ac3 track.

Tsmuxer doesn’t recognise THD tracks without a core.
You have to re-interleave the thd and ac3 tracks or create a full decrypted disk backup with MakeMKV and import the correct mpls file from this into tsmuxer or use eac3to to extract the interleaved thd track with core for import into tsmuxer.
The Mediainfo he posted of his TS file shows that he's actually past this step. His TS file already contains THD+AC3 core atmos track:

Code: Select all

Format/Info : Audio Coding 3 + Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Otherwise, tsmuxer would've complained when he tried to start muxing.

@iamlilysdad: Not sure why Plex is not picking it up. Have you tried playing it in Kodi? It won't trigger DV, but you'll at least be able to check to see if the atmos track is being detected.
Trickyd-1

Post by Trickyd-1 »

Sorry yes I can see that now that I’ve read the whole post.

I hope you get it sussed.
Hope kodi supports dv on shield soon too.
touche112

Post by touche112 »

Hey all,

My Fellowship D1 errored at 120MB-ish and my ROTK D1 errored around 200MB. Ended up getting ROTK D1 to rip after wiping the disc with a cloth. Haven't tried re-ripping Fellowship yet.
iamlilysdad

Post by iamlilysdad »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:23 pm
Trickyd-1 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:12 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:35 pm

Have you tried selecting a different audio track with your TS files in Plex? The AC3 core will be defaulted to, yes, but you should be able to select the TrueHD track as well. It's obviously in there according to the mediainfo.
Mkv does not store thd+core as an interleaved thd track. It stores a thd track and if you select it it will store the core as an ac3 track.

Tsmuxer doesn’t recognise THD tracks without a core.
You have to re-interleave the thd and ac3 tracks or create a full decrypted disk backup with MakeMKV and import the correct mpls file from this into tsmuxer or use eac3to to extract the interleaved thd track with core for import into tsmuxer.
The Mediainfo he posted of his TS file shows that he's actually past this step. His TS file already contains THD+AC3 core atmos track:

Code: Select all

Format/Info : Audio Coding 3 + Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Otherwise, tsmuxer would've complained when he tried to start muxing.

@iamlilysdad: Not sure why Plex is not picking it up. Have you tried playing it in Kodi? It won't trigger DV, but you'll at least be able to check to see if the atmos track is being detected.
Good call. Kodi picks up Atmos and plays it back fine. I don't think this is a new way of encoding Atmos into a stream so it's weird that Plex isn't picking it up correctly.
iamlilysdad

Post by iamlilysdad »

Trickyd-1 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:33 pm
Sorry yes I can see that now that I’ve read the whole post.

I hope you get it sussed.
Hope kodi supports dv on shield soon too.
No worries. Threads are long lol.

I usually don't have to worry about Plex support because 99.9% of my files are MKV made with Handbrake. Now that we have a way to backup Dolby Vision I think this will be something that comes up more.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

iamlilysdad wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:49 pm
Good call. Kodi picks up Atmos and plays it back fine. I don't think this is a new way of encoding Atmos into a stream so it's weird that Plex isn't picking it up correctly.
Aha, so it's an issue with the app then. Can you open up Plex in your web browser, browse to the movie, and see if you can select a different audio track from there?
iamlilysdad

Post by iamlilysdad »

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:03 am
iamlilysdad wrote:
Aha, so it's an issue with the app then. Can you open up Plex in your web browser, browse to the movie, and see if you can select a different audio track from there?
There is only one audio track.

When I go to app.plex.tv and view that stream it says "AUDIO - Unknown (AC3 5.1)". Seems like Plex can't handle the formatting of the audio track.
touche112

Post by touche112 »

touche112 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:45 pm
Hey all,

My Fellowship D1 errored at 120MB-ish and my ROTK D1 errored around 200MB. Ended up getting ROTK D1 to rip after wiping the disc with a cloth. Haven't tried re-ripping Fellowship yet.
Update, Fellowship D1 is now erroring at 404.1MB after cleaning. Additionally, trying to rip Unexpected Journey Theatrical has completely borked my ASUS BW-16D1HT and now it doesn't read any discs, even after reboot.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

iamlilysdad wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:41 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:03 am
iamlilysdad wrote:
There is only one audio track.

When I go to app.plex.tv and view that stream it says "AUDIO - Unknown (AC3 5.1)". Seems like Plex can't handle the formatting of the audio track.
Give this sample file a try:

https://mega.nz/file/YSxhkSLK#fkfy54tYV ... xIOBZLyGR4

It's one that we've used extensively here in the past. If you get atmos from it, then something may be off in your remux process. If not, then something's going on with your Plex app.
Obl918

Post by Obl918 »

Hey_Its_me wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:24 pm
The Two Towers disc 2 freezes at about 21GB. The drive just stops reading. I have an LG WH16NS40 drive in an external case.
I have tried power cycling the drive, and trying a different disc (that will read fine)

I'm going to follow the suggestion of changing IO reads to see if that will work.

The disc looks to be clean, except for a minute scratch.

Edit: Sadly. this failed. The disc may be defective. Getting read errors. Should I send the log file?
When I first started having trouble ripping these, I decided to order a new drive. Before the new drive came in, I finally managed to get all the extended discs ripped, even though I had to retry the first one umpteen million times (and a couple of the others more than once). It finally worked.

Well, the new NS60 came in, so I figured, let's see what happens: It breezed through discs, ripping at a faster speed and never getting hung up on any of the spots the old drive did.

The old drive is an LG NS40 and the new is an NS60. Both are running MK fw. I guess the second drive is just less sensitive to imperfections in the medium.
Hey_Its_me

Post by Hey_Its_me »

Obl918 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:57 pm
Hey_Its_me wrote:
The Two Towers disc 2 freezes at about 21GB. The drive just stops reading. I have an LG WH16NS40 drive in an external case.
I have tried power cycling the drive, and trying a different disc (that will read fine)

I'm going to follow the suggestion of changing IO reads to see if that will work.

Edit: Sadly. this failed. The disc may be defective. Getting read errors. Should I send the log file?
When I first started having trouble ripping these, I decided to order a new drive. Before the new drive came in, I finally managed to get all the extended discs ripped, even though I had to retry the first one umpteen million times (and a couple of the others more than once). It finally worked.

Well, the new NS60 came in, so I figured, let's see what happens: It breezed through discs, ripping at a faster speed and never getting hung up on any of the spots the old drive did.

The old drive is an LG NS40 and the new is an NS60. Both are running MK fw. I guess the second drive is just less sensitive to imperfections in the medium.
Wow! I feel like a fool. I actually have the LG WH16NS60 and am still having problems. Either it will just hang about 1/3 the way through, or I get a lot of errors. I'm beginning to think I just have a bad disc.
TheBum

Post by TheBum »

austinalex23 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:20 pm
I managed to back up all the LOTR extended discs with the exception of Fellowship disc 2. Backup keeps failing with a hash check error about 1/3 through. The drive starts making some "clicking" type noises, and the disc looks scuffed up after I finally kill MakeMKV because it won't cancel the job. I've tried it a handful of times, cleaning it each time. Think I'm done with that.
I'm having the same issue. FotR Disc 1 successfully ripped on the second try, but I've tried Disc 2 about 5 times and it errors out at about the same place.

Does anybody else strip out the audio and subtitle tracks for all languages but English? Is there any risk in doing that, other than non-fluent friends not having a way to listen or read in their language?
avernar

Post by avernar »

Trickyd-1 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:51 pm
Yes, but the audio is still fading out into the black screen so you will end up with an abrupt jump on the audio. Especially on the two towers.
I only removed about 4 seconds from the end of each part 1 and left a little of the fade to black to avoid cutting off the audio. The numbers I used are 151993, 153331 and 183566. Still did 46 for part 2.

This way it looks like a normal fade to black and not a did my Plex server just die? :D
endlessblockade

Post by endlessblockade »

Hey_Its_me wrote:

I am also having the same issue with my Two Towers disc 2 at right about the same spot. Every rip craps out at about 21GB's in. I've tried 2 different ASUS drives and an LG WH16NS40 with no luck. Every other disc in the set ripped with zero issues. Finally just requested a replacement but that wont be arriving until January.