Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
CrazyDymond88

Re: Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Post by CrazyDymond88 »

Every disc is working for me except The Two Towers Extended Disc 2. IS it possible there's a different key for that disc? Were you able to rip that one successfully?
whiplash1

Post by whiplash1 »

el_pollo_hermano wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:59 pm
KEYS AVAILABLE! My encrypted backups now decrypting!
Can you post BDinfo please?
CrazyDymond88

Post by CrazyDymond88 »

Just sent over a new dump file for The Two Towers Extended Disc 2, it's the only disc not working.
theweasley

Post by theweasley »

Fantastic! Thank you to everyone involved in making this happen
el_pollo_hermano

Post by el_pollo_hermano »

I was able to rip Two Towers successfully. What is the quickest way to get the BDInfo? I've not done it before.
whiplash1

Post by whiplash1 »

el_pollo_hermano wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:45 am
I was able to rip Two Towers successfully. What is the quickest way to get the BDInfo? I've not done it before.
You can use DVDFab for generating the BDinfo.
Trickyd-1

Post by Trickyd-1 »

RE: Lord of the rings extended editions, stitching together to make one seamless movie file.
Rip both main movie parts from the two discs with makeMKV. Load up MKVtoolnix, drag in part 1, right click, click on append files, select part 2, click OK.
Type in a suitable output file name and click on start multiplexing, voila: three 3h50m films to sit through :shock: :shock:
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Trickyd-1 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:23 pm
RE: Lord of the rings extended editions, stitching together to make one seamless movie file.
Rip both main movie parts from the two discs with makeMKV. Load up MKVtoolnix, drag in part 1, right click, click on append files, select part 2, click OK.
Type in a suitable output file name and click on start multiplexing, voila: three 3h50m films to sit through :shock: :shock:
Are the theatrical versions on the same disks as well?
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

Trickyd-1 wrote:
This doesn't mess up the DV layers or anything, correct?

If you're using Plex you can make the two parts (almost) seamless by just naming them a certain way: create a folder with the name of the movie and then put both MKV files inside but with "- part1" and "- part2" in the end of their filenames:

Code: Select all

└── The Lord of the Rings- The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
    ├── The Lord of the Rings- The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - part1.mkv
    └── The Lord of the Rings- The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - part2.mkv
Plex shows it as a single movie with the full length:

However when playing back, the playhead only indicates where you are in each individual part (notice the yellow progress bar at the bottom is all the way to the right at the end of part 1):

There's 5 seconds or so of black screen between the two parts, but I don't think this is Plex's fault: it looks like the last 3 seconds of the first disc, and the first couple seconds of the second disc are actually just a black screen. Not sure if there's any way to get rid of those...although I did find this "Splitting" section in the Output screen for MKVToolnix:

Maybe it's possible to split part 1 right before the last 3 black seconds, and split the second part after the first 2, then combine the resulting individual files to have a seamless cut between them? Hmmm...
Trickyd-1

Post by Trickyd-1 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:10 pm
Trickyd-1 wrote:
Are the theatrical versions on the same disks as well?
No they are on their own discs and the bitrate is slightly lower.
Bit rate, Fellowship of the rings :
Theatrical: 53.5 Mb/s
Extended:67.9 Mb/s
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

No, I read that theatrical are one disc. Extended are 2 additional discs each.
Trickyd-1

Post by Trickyd-1 »

Cannikin wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:26 pm

There's 5 seconds or so of black screen between the two parts, but I don't think this is Plex's fault: it looks like the last 3 seconds of the first disc, and the first couple seconds of the second disc are actually just a black screen. Not sure if there's any way to get rid of those...although I did find this "Splitting" section in the Output screen for MKVToolnix:

Maybe it's possible to split part 1 right before the last 3 black seconds, and split the second part after the first 2, then combine the resulting individual files to have a seamless cut between them? Hmmm...

Thanks for your post, it's full of useful info, particularly the part about Plex. I think I will leave the pause in as it seems to me that it's is merited for artistic reasons.
Last edited by Trickyd-1 on Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

Trickyd-1 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:32 pm
I think the pause is merited for artistic reasons.
But is it there in the theatrical, single disc version? If not, then it probably, ideally, shouldn't be present in the extended versions either, no?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Cannikin wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:37 pm
Trickyd-1 wrote:
But is it there in the theatrical, single disc version? If not, then it probably, ideally, shouldn't be present in the extended versions either, no?
For a near 4 hour movie you need a bathroom and refreshment break somewhere! :D LMAO
Trickyd-1

Post by Trickyd-1 »

Cannikin wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:37 pm
Trickyd-1 wrote:
I See what you mean. I guess it's going to come down to personal preference and weather it will damage the stream GOP structure if it's sliced and diced.

Samuri. Too right :lol: :lol: