Update 1.15.1 creating larger file sizes with HDR10 discs?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
palmerwallace

Update 1.15.1 creating larger file sizes with HDR10 discs?

Post by palmerwallace »

Hi there,

I was going back and re-ripping some discs to enable Dolby Vision on my older HDR10 only MKV rips. I began noticing a 3-5GB file size difference from my previous HDR10 only rips that I had done a 6mo - 1yr ago. Is anyone else noticing this sort of difference on their MKVs? I didn't realize the additional DV layer would add that much more size onto the existing files.

Was there something done in the update would increase the file size for previous HDR rips as well or is that par for the course for DV? Hoping that what I've been ripping for the last year+ is not all for naught with a sub-par rips.

Thanks in advance for any insight,
shawnc22

Re: Update 1.15.1 creating larger file sizes with HDR10 discs?

Post by shawnc22 »

palmerwallace wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:58 pm
Hi there,

I was going back and re-ripping some discs to enable Dolby Vision on my older HDR10 only MKV rips. I began noticing a 3-5GB file size difference from my previous HDR10 only rips that I had done a 6mo - 1yr ago. Is anyone else noticing this sort of difference on their MKVs? I didn't realize the additional DV layer would add that much more size onto the existing files.

Was there something done in the update would increase the file size for previous HDR rips as well or is that par for the course for DV? Hoping that what I've been ripping for the last year+ is not all for naught with a sub-par rips.

Thanks in advance for any insight,
This is expected. Those additional 3-5GBs you're seeing is the dolby vision full enhancement layer (FEL). On some disks, you may only see a minimal difference when you rerip because those disks are using a minimal enhancement layer (MEL). Just different ways of mastering a DV disk chosen by the studios.
palmerwallace

Post by palmerwallace »

Thanks for the reply. To clarify, I would not see this same level of difference on standard HDR10 discs that I've ripped in say July 2019?

Meaning, it's not a software/firmware shift in producing larger/full file size rips....but this is more directly tied to the DV layer on said discs.

Thanks again,
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

palmerwallace wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:21 pm
Thanks for the reply. To clarify, I would not see this same level of difference on standard HDR10 discs that I've ripped in say July 2019?

Meaning, it's not a software/firmware shift in producing larger/full file size rips....but this is more directly tied to the DV layer on said discs.

Thanks again,
If a disc only has HDR and no DV, then no you should not see any differences between your old rips and a new one with 1.15.3.
palmerwallace

Post by palmerwallace »

Thank YOU!!! Got my OCD working up there on having some "lesser than" rips. :lol: