Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Jordbrett

Re: Back to the Future 1,2,3 UK Release

Post by Jordbrett »

preserve wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:21 am
Jordbrett wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:21 am
Is it worth re-ripping the standard BD's?
Definitely disappointed that though it's granted the new transfer and encoded AVC, the first film again has a really low bitrate. Of course bitrate isn't everything and I'll see how the discs actually look this weekend, but it's not inconsequential either.

That's really interesting. Let me know your thoughts. I did re-rip them but haven't replaced the files yet. Waiting for BTTF 2 UHD US to rip before I put them all on my plex server.

Edit: Looks like BTTF 2 works now. Enjoy the rewatch.
Trickyd-1

Re: Back to the Future 1,2,3 UK Release

Post by Trickyd-1 »

Thanks for doing the analysis preserve. It is bizarre that they chose to shave 4mb off the avg bitrate. Even with the extras there is still plenty of empty space on the disc.

I'm surprised that they even bothered to re-visit the ordinary BDs at all as there must be a substantial cost in re-encoding and re-mastering them at Hollywood rates and despite the hype at the time, the 2010 and 2015 BD releases of back to the future were identical disks in different packaging.

Going back to that review of the 4k. Now that I've had a good chance to watch the first film I'm still yet to see most of the issues that the reviewer brought up. I think overall it looks great, especially considering it's 35 years old. The framing seems OK and there is just the right amount of grain for me.