Why two copies of the same UHD movie when ripped?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Qaenos

Why two copies of the same UHD movie when ripped?

Post by Qaenos »

I notice that a lot of UHD rips end up with two .mkv copies of the same main movie. The size is 1 KB different between the two files, but other than that I can't tell the difference.

Does anyone know why there are two copies of the main movie ripped into seperate .mkv files and why one is 1KB more than the other?
Woodstock

Re: Why two copies of the same UHD movie when ripped?

Post by Woodstock »

That would depend on the movie... Disney disks will have 2, sometimes more, copies, where the only difference is what language is used for the titles and credits.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jayper

Post by jayper »

It's also worth looking at the include languages and subtitles per playlist. Japanese language and subtitles tracks are often isolated to a specific playlist.
MattMc

Post by MattMc »

I notice that one version of the movies that I ripped has chapters, and the other does not. Looking at the meta data, the one without chapters usually at a higher bit rate as well.

Since I'm new to ripping UHD to mkv files, I'm not sure what this means, these are just observations.

I would like to keep just one to save space, preferably the slightly higher bit rate rip. What advantage would there be to keeping the one with chapters, versus the one with the higher bit rate?
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

MattMc wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:36 am
I notice that one version of the movies that I ripped has chapters, and the other does not. Looking at the meta data, the one without chapters usually at a higher bit rate as well.

Since I'm new to ripping UHD to mkv files, I'm not sure what this means, these are just observations.

I would like to keep just one to save space, preferably the slightly higher bit rate rip. What advantage would there be to keeping the one with chapters, versus the one with the higher bit rate?
Chapters make minuscule difference to final filesize, Cinema Paradiso [Theatrical Cut] UHD (main movie only), extracting the chapters delivers an xml file of 5.66KB! Main movie rip with a couple of audio streams and single subtitle stream = 80.7GB - see what I mean. Always advantageous to keep chapters IMO as some players support "Select Chapter/Skip To Chapter" feature should you want to use it.

Also a thread about: Anyone know why some UHD discs contain two Titles?
Windows:
Identifying The Correct Title To Rip: Process Monitor Method - GetMPLS Method
Mux/Remux: Set A Subtitle Stream On By Default (Forced)
MattMc

Post by MattMc »

Thanks Nucleus. Just ripped Casablanca. both have chapters , and the only difference seems to be bit rate.