MakeMKV 1.15.4

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Mr_Orange

Re: MakeMKV 1.15.4

Post by Mr_Orange »

jayf95 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:00 pm
Thanks for the comment, its super helpful. Does makemkv rip dual layer disks to single layer DV MKVs, or does it remain a dual layer DV MKV?
Actually, it wasn't super helpful at all.

MakeMKV produces a dual layer, single track MKV with DV. Plex on the Nvidia Shield can play these back. (Note that playback is not yet bug free and perfect).

What is on the original UHD is dual layer and dual track.
agneva

Post by agneva »

I use the ape to create mp4 DV (SL & DL) from BDMV.
phneutral

Post by phneutral »

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:11 pm
agneva wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:49 pm
Yes, you caught the problem.

mkv with DV dual layer -> no player available, even not the Nvidia Shield (just DV single layer).

mp4 with DV dual layer -> I can confirm that my "UBK90" is playing it correctly from USB, but mp4 -> no HD Audio for enthusiasts.
mp4 with DV single layer -> my TV LG OLED CX9 can play it.

m2ts or ts with DV dual layer -> my players just choose the HDR10 stream, don´t know if there a players who can read DV from (m2)ts.

for me I choose mp4 with DV single or dual layer with AC3 5.1 640kbps. I would never hear a difference... even between mp3 320 <-> 128.

P.S.
i read that intel will be play Dolby Vision:
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/p ... -guide.pdf
11th Gen intel® coRe™ With iRis® Xe GRaphics :roll:
phneutral wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:35 pm
interesting, i did not realise there was a limitation with the Shield Pro not being able to play dual layer DV MKV's. I thought I was getting the same experience a blu-ray player would give and that I had an end-game set-up :shock:

So how does the MP4 compare on screen? Is it looking much different? You said you don't notice HD audio but I have an Atmos system and it's obvious, the picture not so much as I can't a/b it
The statements in the first post are not entirely accurate, and there is some confusion between tracks vs layers. The Shield Pro is perfectly capable of playing dual layer DV files provided they are merged onto a single track (BL+EL+RPU). The Shield cannot play any DV files where the two layers are separated onto different tracks, like the products of the original mp4 method. With that said, the Shield, and as well as any other streaming-only device currently available, cannot reproduce the experience of a dedicated bluray player in terms of DV. While the Shield can play dual layer files, there is still some picture accuracy issues. Nvidia is currently still looking into it, but even when that is fixed, it still will not fully be compatible with FEL titles due to hardware limitations. It will play them, but the picture will not be the same as what you will get with a dedicated BR player.
thanks for clearing this up, this is super helpful :wink:
Rivdoric

Post by Rivdoric »

- Implemented seamless joining of TrueHD streams with overlapping frames based on Dominik Mydlil's idea
Just to be sure : Does this change anything for TrueHD/Atmos on single m2ts/part movies or is this only useful for multipart m2ts movies ?

I hope for the latter because it's hundreds of movies to re-rip if yes..... :shock:
kingdariocueto

Post by kingdariocueto »

zeerow2k wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:05 pm
I'm glad I found this thread - I always check to see what people are saying about the new MakeMKV releases. I didn't know there was an issue with RE:A and I was going crazy when I was watching it. It kept going in and out of sync and I swear I was losing my mind stopping and re-starting it. Eventually switched to the AC3 track and finished the movie that way.

Just re-ripped with 1.15.4 so we'll see how it plays now. First I need to figure out what's going on with the connection between my Shield and router, this constant buffering is killing me!
Did you resolve your network issues? I have two things that may help:
-As several others have noted, the 2019 Tube has playback issues whereas the 2019 Pro does not. I personally experienced this with my Tube and ended up selling it on OfferUp and upgrading to the Pro when it went on sale for $20 off a few weeks ago. No playback issues with my Pro. Are you using Pro or Tube?
-I did randomly have buffering issues with my Pro; I checked the network connection and for some reason it was only using a 10 Mbps connection. I unplugged the ethernet and plugged it back in and suddenly got back to normal 1000 Mbps. May be a fault hardware ethernet adapter on the Pro, may be worth double checking if you haven't already. No issues for me since then.
zomorf

Post by zomorf »

Rivdoric wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:52 pm
- Implemented seamless joining of TrueHD streams with overlapping frames based on Dominik Mydlil's idea
Just to be sure : Does this change anything for TrueHD/Atmos on single m2ts/part movies or is this only useful for multipart m2ts movies ?

I hope for the latter because it's hundreds of movies to re-rip if yes..... :shock:
Has anyone got an answer for the above? Would like to know what I may need to redo... Like original poster said hoping only for multipart m2ts movies as in LIONSGATE and Xin1 (theatrical/directors cut etc) uhd/bluray etc movies... Very quiet in the 1.15.4 thread for some reason :(

Also HOW confident are we that the DV HDR10+ format for MKV is stable and won't need tweaking in future makemkv releases. This includes from UHD discs/images and converting Dual Track mkv's to the 1.15.4 layout. Currently holding off doing DV HDR10+ etc as i don't have a TV good enough yet anyway :)

Looking at a LG NANO86 55 inch for the bedroom first before I go for a larger screen in the main area's. So if the LG is good enough I'll grab a larger version for the other areas of the house...

Also welcome to 2021 be safe people...
lata
zomorf
jayf95

Post by jayf95 »

zomorf wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:56 pm
Rivdoric wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:52 pm

Has anyone got an answer for the above? Would like to know what I may need to redo... Like original poster said hoping only for multipart m2ts movies as in LIONSGATE and Xin1 (theatrical/directors cut etc) uhd/bluray etc movies... Very quiet in the 1.15.4 thread for some reason :(

Also HOW confident are we that the DV HDR10+ format for MKV is stable and won't need tweaking in future makemkv releases. This includes from UHD discs/images and converting Dual Track mkv's to the 1.15.4 layout. Currently holding off doing DV HDR10+ etc as i don't have a TV good enough yet anyway :)

Looking at a LG NANO86 55 inch for the bedroom first before I go for a larger screen in the main area's. So if the LG is good enough I'll grab a larger version for the other areas of the house...

Also welcome to 2021 be safe people...
If you get a nano85/86, there's no need for DV or even just HDR content in general. Its an IPS panel so its contrast ratio is awful, as is its local dimming capabilities and brightness. As a result, it wont begin to do HDR justice, if anything HDR will make content look worse. Check out this site for comparing TVs, its quite reputable.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/nano85#page-video

LGs non OLED TVs are hot garbage. What's your budget like? If you get TCL where you live, I would buy a TCL 6 series (2020). Its likely cheaper and has far superior picture quality. Its the best budget TV you can get. I would get it with a warranty though, as they tend to be a little less reliable and more variable than brand name TVs.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6 ... -2020-qled
If you can stretch your budget a bit, a samsung q80t/q90t or sony x900h/x950h are excellent options
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

mike admin
I wonder do you have in mind optional build-in UHD DV to profile 8.1 conversion for post-1.15.4 MakeMKV development
It would greatly ease UHD DV to mkv backup process for devices that unable to play or ignore FEL.
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
colpoz

Post by colpoz »

This is my second post... 11 years after the first one!! :shock: :D

I have just started experimenting with this new mkv format that includes DV to specification, having done (like many of you) mkvs in the past with the DV layer included as a separate stream.

I want to report here a strange thing that I noticed, which I don't know if it matters.

My "old" Fast & Furious: Hobbs & Shaw kv contains two video tracks, a base layer of 195,520 frames and a DV layer which is - of course - the same length of 195,520 frames.

I created the new mkv with MakeMKV 1.15.4 and this turns out to contain a single video track of 195.520 frames, everything ok.

At this point I tried to see what happened by extracting with eac3to (which I have always used before) the video track with the DV included.
This is just out of curiosity, not with a specific purpose.

What caught my attention is that eac3to reports to me in the logs that the length of the video track is 391.001 frames.
I understand that eac3to cannot distinguish the two layers, and therefore incorrectly reports the total ... but this total should be 391,040.
There is a difference of 39 frames.

So my doubt is ... is it an error of eac3to, or actually 39 frames of the DV layer have been lost?

Is there any way to check this?
zomorf

Post by zomorf »

@jayf95 will browse those TV sites. I'll stay away from sony though. Thank you.
lata
zomorf
lwndow

Post by lwndow »

Has anyone had discs that could be pulled w/1.15.3 but not 1.15.4? I had this issue with at least one LotR discs, but it might not be a good baseline, as every pack I've ordered from Amazon has had TTT be scratched to hell. Would there be any logs useful on the bad pulls to submit?
Jango8

Post by Jango8 »

Guys,
If I use MakeMKV 1.15.4 to backup my entire 4K disc (containing Atmos and Dolby Vision) and not create an MKV file (I want the whole disc), will the Shield Pro be able to play DV and Atmos (from a backed up 4K disc)?
Thanks
aboulfad

Post by aboulfad »

Jango8 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:42 pm
Guys,
If I use MakeMKV 1.15.4 to backup my entire 4K disc (containing Atmos and Dolby Vision) and not create an MKV file (I want the whole disc), will the Shield Pro be able to play DV and Atmos (from a backed up 4K disc)?
Thanks
I don’t think so, one capable media player that can play a 4K DV BDMV is Oppo Udp-203. I currently rip “backup” my 4K UHD DV discs using 1.15.4 and access them from my Oppo using SMB.
[Oppo UDP-203, ATV 4K] —> Anthem MRX-720 —> LG OLED65E7P
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

Jango8 wrote:
Guys,
Thanks
Not the Shield. I believe the newest Zidoo players can but please double check.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Mr_Orange wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:40 pm
Jango8 wrote:
Guys,
Thanks
Not the Shield. I believe the newest Zidoo players can but please double check.
The 2019 Shield Pro will play them with DV and Atmos, but there are picture accuracy issues, especially with FEL titles.