Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
jayper

MakeMKV 1.15.4

Post by jayper »

It looks like 1.15.4 has been released. Pretty interesting list of changes:

Changes:
- Improved handling for discs with mastering errors
- Many internal improvements and small bugfixes
- Implemented seamless joining of TrueHD streams with overlapping frames based on Dominik Mydlil's idea
- MakeMKV now recognizes and converts double-track Dolby Vision MKV files

Bug fixes:
- Program could fail when processing TrueHD streams from MKV file
- DTS core was not extracted from DTS-HD streams (1.15.0 regression)

Can anyone shed light on the bit about "MakeMKV now recognizes and converts double-track Dolby Vision MKV files?"
shawnc22

Re: MakeMKV 1.15.4

Post by shawnc22 »

If you had previously used mkvtoolnix to mux a DV film's BL and EL onto their own separate tracks (video track #1-BL, video track #2-EL) prior to any of the DV developments with makemkv, then 1.15.4 should now recognize these frankenstein mkvs and spit out a proper DV mkv file with the BL and EL merged onto a single track with the standard DV metadata.
jayper

Post by jayper »

Ah, gotcha. Having never ventured down that road, I was not familiar with the process.

Thanks very much for the clarification. Appreciate it.
PaulCB

Post by PaulCB »

" Implemented seamless joining of TrueHD streams with overlapping frames based on Dominik Mydlil's idea"
Excellent! Now to go re-rip a a hundred discs... ;-)
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I only need to re-rip one. :D That Resident Evil disc was a pain.
jayper

Post by jayper »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:02 am
I only need to re-rip one. :D That Resident Evil disc was a pain.
I saw you mentioning what a pain it was, so I did a full disc back-up for the first go-around in case an opportunity like this presented itself. I didn't want to pull the discs back out of the closet.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I meant to keep my ISO of that one but then the LOTR and Hobbit discs came and I needed space and forgot. So, I'll re-rip it. Not a huge issue.
Ulyank

Post by Ulyank »

So in laymen’s terms, any need to re-rip mkv 1.15.3 discs? If yes, can the 1.15.3 mkv itself be used? Thanks
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Only if you are impacted by ATMOS audio glitches in your existing MKV's. We are with Resident Evil Apocalypse. And other discs before that if you're ripping with MakeMKV. You'd know cause they're pretty obnoxious issues where the sound completely drops momentarily and "usually" comes back. With RE:A it does not in some cases.
bnormal1

Post by bnormal1 »

I'll have to rip The Natural 4k again. The extended version with Atmos would "audibly" go dead for a split second..then the audio would reappear but be out of sync. A rewind or fastforward of a few seconds fixed the sync issue, however, it would do this again and again...which got a bit tiring after a while.

Curiously, the theater cut of The Natural with Atmos doesn't have this problem. The additional scenes in the extended cut weren't major additions...but it'd be nice to have that version available.

Now if I could just get friggin "Schindlers List" to rip I'd be content for the time being.
zeerow2k

Post by zeerow2k »

I'm glad I found this thread - I always check to see what people are saying about the new MakeMKV releases. I didn't know there was an issue with RE:A and I was going crazy when I was watching it. It kept going in and out of sync and I swear I was losing my mind stopping and re-starting it. Eventually switched to the AC3 track and finished the movie that way.

Just re-ripped with 1.15.4 so we'll see how it plays now. First I need to figure out what's going on with the connection between my Shield and router, this constant buffering is killing me!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That's the thing, none of us have tested this build with RE:A yet. So I can't tell you for sure it'll fix it but it's the best hope we have. I can tell you CloneBD, my usual go to for ATMOS problems, does not work with this title either. I reported it to them and haven't heard anything. So I'm definitely hoping this build of MakeMKV fixes it.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

On the last RE thread, I asked if anyone tried @domy94's method for fixing the audio tracks and somebody said they did, but it still wasn't working. If that's indeed the case and seeing how Mike incorporated @domy94's methods, it still might not be working correctly in the latest version, but best to confirm for yourselves.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yea I remember which is why I gave the caveat that no one's yet tried it in 1.15.4 and it's not guaranteed to work. But it's our best hope at the moment. I'll re-rip it shortly and test it out tonight.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Re-ripped and played 12 and a half minutes of it with zero issues. i don't remember when we saw the first issue so I can't say it's 100% fixed but seems good so far.