New ASUS BW-16D1HT with new 4K discs

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
veggieliving

New ASUS BW-16D1HT with new 4K discs

Post by veggieliving »

Hi. Just chiming in to add that I just got a brand new ASUS BW-16D1HT and am working on some brand new (and cleaned) 4K disks and having AV synchronization issues. For example, the rip for Avengers Endgame completes successfully and gives one single "AV synchronization issue" message. However, when I try to play the MKV, it's a black screen, with occasional frozen video frames which have nothing to do with the audio.

Doctor Who Twice Upon a Time 4K rip is the same and two of the episodes of Doctor Who Season 11, which aren't even 4K are audio only with occasional frozen video as well.

I've downloaded MakeMKV 1.15.4, but got the same results.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

Amy
preserve

Re: New ASUS BW-16D1HT with new 4K discs

Post by preserve »

veggieliving wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:25 pm
one single "AV synchronization issue" message. However, when I try to play the MKV, it's a black screen, with occasional frozen video frames
Hi Amy,

It sounds as if your issues are not related to AV Sync, but rather to playback of 4K MKVs.

Have you successfully ripped and played 4K MKVs in the past with a different drive, or is this your first time?

As your question is a specific set of circumstances related to a new drive and mostly 4K discs (as opposed to Blu-ray discs), I've moved your post into its own topic in the UHD discs (aka 4K discs) section of the forum.

To troubleshoot problems like this, it's best to look at each disc separately and post as many details as possible, such as MakeMKV's log.

Re: the single AV Sync message, the summary by mattpr should let you know whether it's a concern or not.

Re: the playback issues you're having, what playback software are you using?

If this is your first time ripping and playing 4K MKVs, I recommend that you read the UHD FAQ.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
dcoke22

Re: New ASUS BW-16D1HT with new 4K discs

Post by dcoke22 »

I have successfully ripped Doctor Who Twice Upon a Time 4k and it played fine on my Raspberry Pi 4 Plex server -> Apple TV 4K Plex client. I've also ripped Doctor Who season 11 blu-rays. I've only watched the first 4 episodes so far, but they've been fine.